Bad friends?

NordicExpanse

Chieftain
Are the AI civs grouped into some pre-arranged cliques with Attila being the "John Bender" of the world? I got pretty cozy with Attila early on and we've had a good relationship so far, but the best I can manage with the rest of the world is "guarded", though they still denounce me and pop up with their little snippy remarks (the vermin are breeding, blah blah blah). America, Spain and Portugal are downright hostile. I think the simple act of simply jumping on the bandwagon with everyone else and denounce Attila might earn me some brownie points, but not sure if the penalty outweighs the benefits.

If you're currently Friends with him, don't do it yet. The modifier for denouncing a friend is huge, while the bonus for denouncing the same people is only moderately nice.

Also, Attila tends to become very unpopular for somewhat obvious reasons. Being his friend is being in the wrong crowd for diplomacy.

In my experience it's better to set aside a couple civs that you know you will not like. I've never had any success making everyone like me; sooner or later it all comes unravelled. In my most recent game, playing as America, the continent I'm on has Spain, Portugal, Byzantium, Indonesia, the Maya, and myself. It was all going nice until Spain kicked the apple cart by backstabbing Indonesia.

After that it was all over but the blood and crying. Now Portugal has no Capital, and there's no sign of Indonesia or the Maya. Byzantium doesn't like anyone, I'm only friends with Spain, and the rest of the world (Huns, Brazil, Poland) think we're all total monsters.

He's been pretty quit in this game; a few unproductive wars with some of his neighbors and still just two cities, Atilla's Court and Susa, with two empires separating them.

I try to avoid DoF with warmongers unless they are the current superpower or I want to combine forces to take down a greater threat. You can be friendly with them, just don't make it public for no reason.

Atilla is known as a war-like leader and civilization. The romans know the Huns as The scourge of God not only the AI.

Top Bottom