Bad Ronald's Custom Colors and Flags

I followed all your directions ( I think... ) and opened the game and it worked just fine. However... :eek: .... next time I open the game, every civilization has these plain white flags. WASSUP!?? :cry:

I dunno what I did wrong... hrrmmmm. Seems very strange it would work, then suddenly not work! For no given reason??

CivGreece said:
Just a small suggestion if I may. In Egypt's flag, you could give the hieroglyphic a more bright touch so it is easily spotted on the little flag version that appears on the map! Not that this is a big deal or anything, it just seems a bit blurry. Well it may only be the screenshot that fails to resemble it, not sure! Just a thought :)
It's probably just the jpeg compression in the preview pic, since Egypt's flag is one of the four that have not been modified from the originals.

brento1138 said:
I dunno what I did wrong... hrrmmmm. Seems very strange it would work, then suddenly not work! For no given reason??
Hmm, that is stange. I haven't had that problem, but the only thing that I can think of is that the first time you tried it you started a new game, but for the second you loaded an earlier save... this could mess things up slightly since the game will try to keep the prior colors/flags, but I don't know if that's definately the problem. Goto your custom assets directory and make sure that the files are all still there, since this could also be a problem...

Oh, and thanks to everyone for the complements; they are much appreciated :).

bad_ronald said:
Hmm, that is stange. I haven't had that problem, but the only thing that I can think of is that the first time you tried it you started a new game, but for the second you loaded an earlier save... this could mess things up slightly since the game will try to keep the prior colors/flags, but I don't know if that's definately the problem. Goto your custom assets directory and make sure that the files are all still there, since this could also be a problem...

Hmmm... check this out. I realised why it worked the first time, and not the second time. It's because only certain flags will work. The first time I used the Egyptians, and it worked. However, the second time I used the Americans, and the America flag showed up as white. (For some reason, after re-installing the game to make sure everything was perfect, now they all show up as a bright fushia/purple color!!! :mad: )

So why is it that only certain flags are working on my computer with your mod? From what I have seen, the American, Japanese, Roman flags dont work with my computer while the Egypt, Aztec, Mali ones are working fine.

It may be that my graphics card can't handle this? Has anyone had similar difficulties??

@Brento,

Goto to this location: '[Whatever your documents folder is called]\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\CustomAssets\art\Interface\TeamColor\' and check to make sure that all 14 .dds files are there. It may be that you unzipped the 'xml' folder but forgot to unzip the 'art' folder. I hope this helps.

bad_ronald said:
@Brento,

Goto to this location: '[Whatever your documents folder is called]\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\CustomAssets\art\Interface\TeamColor\' and check to make sure that all 14 .dds files are there. It may be that you unzipped the 'xml' folder but forgot to unzip the 'art' folder. I hope this helps.

Sorry to fill up so much space on your post with my problems, but yeah, the files were all there. I followed everything to the T. I'm sure it's something to do with my computer, as it can only run the game at what seems to be 98% (my nuclear weapons don't explode is all I've noticed so far, although, I suppose this is a small problem compared to some others on this site).

The strange thing with your flag/color mod is how when I install it, only a few of the flags actually work. And then when I uninstall it (and I'm sure I am doing this correctly) the game will never load the original flags correctly again. They will all come out either white or bright purple/pink. Now, I know it seems like I must have been making a mistake somewhere, but trust me, I followed all the instructions seamlessly (honest: I'm fairly good with computers, I'm a sound designer with many years experience). But my skills won't help me here I suppose. :confused:

I'm afraid I'll have to upgrade my computer's graphics card or get myself a seperate computer specifically for gaming. If anyone else has the same problem as I, and knows how to fix it, I'd be glad if u could share! Till then, I will just have to make due with Civ4's inferior flags and colors...

It definintely looks great and you did a great job on each of the flags - I was thinking though, the colors for China and Rome should be reversed - the imperial color for Rome is purple (which is why it was purple to begin with - "emperors were distinguished by wearing togae purpurae, purple togas — hence the phrase "to don the purple" for the assumption of imperial dignity)" (wiki) and the imperial color for China is red (Red is considered a very lucky color - hence everything from flags to doors to ink comes in red). But other than that, it really looks awesome. I look forward to using it!

jkp1187 said:
BTW, am I the only one who thinks the flags (esp. the modern ones,) might look better if they were hung vertically, instead of attempting to squeeze them in horizontally?

Or, if someone is brave enough, to modify the meshes (dunno if the flag stand is seperate from units or not), and alter the direction (so its like a modern flag on a pole)

Would be great if you could have 2 meshes (one vertical, other horizontal), and then, assign the mesh depending on the nation, since there are flags that will look better on one but not the other

But that might be not be doable (even though would be fun if it is, *imagines all the crazy looking flags modders will think of)

hi, i have prb with your great mod.

First, the flags works fine only in single game.

In multiplayer, i got full colored (sometimes white) flags :( ... it s strange because your first version was ok.

do u have any idea to solve that prb ?

brento1138 said:
Hmmm... check this out. I realised why it worked the first time, and not the second time. It's because only certain flags will work. The first time I used the Egyptians, and it worked. However, the second time I used the Americans, and the America flag showed up as white. (For some reason, after re-installing the game to make sure everything was perfect, now they all show up as a bright fushia/purple color!!! :mad: )

So why is it that only certain flags are working on my computer with your mod? From what I have seen, the American, Japanese, Roman flags dont work with my computer while the Egypt, Aztec, Mali ones are working fine.

It may be that my graphics card can't handle this? Has anyone had similar difficulties??

I confirm... problem for me too. (MULTIPLAYER only)

The differences with your first version are .dds files. i think those files can be used for single player only. in other case, civ4 overrides them with original ones in multiplayer config, then doesn't load the correct xml from the /customAssets folder. Your first version was working better because you have changed the filepath only... not the dds files. now i think we must find a method to override these basics dds files from civ4/assets, not customAssets. it s only a clue...not a solution :)

I must delete your files if i want to play an online/multiplayer game.

I ll try some stuffs, if it works, i reply here..

cya

have a look to my new roads : http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=136716

I solved the problem.

The multiplayer config seems to not load the .dds and xml files from the /CustomAssets folder.

Then i unzip ALL the files directly into the CIV4/assets folder. (NOT MyDocument/Civ4/CustomAssets)

Now it works fine with multiplayer :)

Wow. These are stunning!

Would you consider expanding these to include other civs? There is a Turkish mod and Finnish mod out now with their own flags, and my Canada mod with no flag because I'm graphically lame.

Would you consider adding these as you go to create a "master" flag file?

One comment on the German Flag: The Red/Black/White banner did not come into existance until the 19th century or so, when the German Holy-Roman Empire finally ceased to exist. Most of German history though was under this flag:

From 962 to 1806 - almost a thousand years - that was the flag of rhe German Holy-Roman Empire and was the foundation for the German Empire that followed and adopted the Red/Black/White banner somewhere around 1848 or so. The Black/Red/Yellow colors were also seen prior to 1949 on various occasions, and the Eagle as seen in the old german flag is still seen on Official State flags today such as the flag used by several Federal authorities and in many official occasions, which is this flag:

Personally, I think the German flag should incorporate the Eagle in their flag as the Eagle is so widely used in anything official and government.

Also, the eagle is found back in the Presidential Standard:

Even in modern Germany, the eagle can be found everywhere, from the German version of the Euro coin, City Halls across Germany, the (very old) Deutsche Post logo.

Of course the eagle was also used by the nazi's but that was in a much different form as the historic german eagle logo:

I personally think the German flag should feature the Eagle as displayed in this picture:

A yellow flag with the Eagle in the middle.

Wyz_sub10 said:
Wow. These are stunning!

I of course forgot to say in my comments about the German Flag that regardless this is indeed an awesome piece of work and I will download and use it!!

Hey, everything looks great! Just one thing could you do the Mexican Flag for the Aztecs? The Eagle & Serpent symbol is Aztec anyways so it would be appropiate.

Top Bottom