Baking Cakes and Discrimination: Or, "What Would Jesus Do?"

If i was in the WH i'd be charged with trespassing. As well as various other charges...

I'd expect plenty pf bloodshed if you were in the WH

I'm actually sort of flattered that you think I would manage to be a great revolutionary leader like Abraham Lincoln.

(disclaimer, this post is on multiple levels of irony and even I do not know if I'm being serious)

I'm still deciding whether I should be happy or offended that nobody has mentioned me yet in this thread.

I'm still deciding whether I should be happy or offended that nobody has mentioned me yet in this thread.
I mean, why would we?
Unless you are a bigoted baker we have no reason to randomly bring up CFC members not participating in the thread, unless we can make a funny joke.

No, the point is to remove religious bigotry from the marketplace.
If you find some unreasonable bigot who thinks you are an Affront To God, the reasonable thing to do is to take your dollars elsewhere, (whether or not they're actually willing to take you on as a customer). Of course, sometimes it might be impossible or impracticable, in which case it is fair to ask for state to intervene.

If I was a judge in the case, I'd find out what it would have cost to the couple to order a similar cake from elsewhere (including additional cost of time and transportation) and have the baker cover the difference. However, unless that difference was significant, I'd leave the couple to cover at least a portion of whatever legal costs they incurred.

If you find some unreasonable bigot who thinks you are an Affront To God, the reasonable thing to do is to take your dollars elsewhere, (whether or not they're actually willing to take you on as a customer). Of course, sometimes it might be impossible or impracticable, in which case it is fair to ask for state to intervene.

If I was a judge in the case, I'd find out what it would have cost to the couple to order a similar cake from elsewhere (including additional cost of time and transportation) and have the baker cover the difference. However, unless that difference was significant, I'd leave the couple to cover at least a portion of whatever legal costs they incurred.

In the US we have a history of that. "Separate but equal" didn't really seem to work out really equal. So now we don't have an inclination towards "well, as long as you have an option the store that discriminates is okay."

Top Bottom