YOU'RE FIRED!

Every time i see this threads title, this is what comes to mind.

After a few weeks the fantasy players and gamblers would keep the popularity up once they figure out who was who.

Those would help to an extent, but I don't buy that losing a lot of star power and having the quality of play decline in general wouldn't still drag it down considerably from present.

betting and fantasy are the main drivers of football. Stars only matter to the casual fan, which are a smaller percentage IMO
I'd have to look it up. But if there was no betting or fantasy, the league would shrivel up and die quite quickly.

betting and fantasy are the main drivers of football. Stars only matter to the casual fan, which are a smaller percentage IMO
I'd have to look it up. But if there was no betting or fantasy, the league would shrivel up and die quite quickly.
Betting maybe... Fantasy? No. I just drove 4 hours round trip to pick my son up from a football camp. I have no intention of pushing him to go pro, it was purely for him to have a fun experience playing a game I love and that he really wanted to try.

Football fandom will survive, trust me.

If they get Lyndon Slewidge to do the anthem for all the games, I'll be happy to listen to "O Canada".

Seriously, it'll make you wish you were Canadian.
I'd say Whitney's Star Spangled Banner or Ray Charles' America the Beautiful would have a comparable effect.:)

So, it turns out the concern trolling over the NFL's troubles is, of course, completely wrong. Revenue in 2017 is the highest it has ever been, despite the "controversy."

"The bump is an increase of 4.9 percent in national revenues, attributed to an escalator in the league’s TV deals and the league’s Thursday Night Football package becoming more valuable.

Packers president Mark Murphy said any effects from the NFL’s tough season, including the national anthem controversy, did not manifest in the books."

So yeah. Gonna have to find another angle than "TV viewership is down!" Especially since, relative to everything else, NFL TV viewership is actually up relative to the rest of network television. NFL ratings have declined significantly less than the rest of TV. Sunday Night Football is still the highest rated show on network TV in the 18-49 demographic.

I’ll repeat it, again, for the president and everyone:
  • Broadcast TV networks lost 16% of their viewers,
  • Cable networks lost 11% of their viewers,
  • The NFL lost 9% of its viewers.

So, it turns out the concern trolling over the NFL's troubles is, of course, completely wrong. Revenue in 2017 is the highest it has ever been, despite the "controversy."

"The bump is an increase of 4.9 percent in national revenues, attributed to an escalator in the league’s TV deals and the league’s Thursday Night Football package becoming more valuable.

Packers president Mark Murphy said any effects from the NFL’s tough season, including the national anthem controversy, did not manifest in the books."

So yeah. Gonna have to find another angle than "TV viewership is down!" Especially since, relative to everything else, NFL TV viewership is actually up relative to the rest of network television. NFL ratings have declined significantly less than the rest of TV. Sunday Night Football is still the highest rated show on network TV in the 18-49 demographic.

Nake Fews!

While I tend to agree, this isn't definitive proof. Maybe if there hadn't been protests they would have only lost 5% of their viewers.
I'd want to see a breakdown of those 9%. Where they mostly republicans that blindly support the president or was it spread across the general population?

Or maybe they would have lost more viewers without the additional attention and visibility. The assumption is that this stuff is a net negative for the NFL, but I see no reason to take that as a given. The publicity the NFL got was not categorically bad, either, and many people believe even bad publicity adds value. So why would publicity which is bad, neutral, or good depending on one's viewpoint not be a net positive for the NFL?

5% revenue growth in a mature industry - even one that is monopolistic like the NFL - is really quite good, especially with the ever-growing number of entities competing for those entertainment dollars.

That's the point. We can't tell for sure based on one aspect. I actually believe it's the growth of fantasy football driving the increased revenue growth. Fantasy players are most likely to be watch on TV vs actually going to the games since they're tracking players and not teams. (yes, also speculation.)

Or maybe they would have lost more viewers without the additional attention and visibility. The assumption is that this stuff is a net negative for the NFL, but I see no reason to take that as a given. The publicity the NFL got was not categorically bad, either, and many people believe even bad publicity adds value. So why would publicity which is bad, neutral, or good depending on one's viewpoint not be a net positive for the NFL?
Exactly. Why should "negative press" or "controversy" be especially great for the Supreme Leader, but then simultaneously especially bad for the NFL?

That's the point. We can't tell for sure based on one aspect. I actually believe it's the growth of fantasy football driving the increased revenue growth. Fantasy players are most likely to be watch on TV vs actually going to the games since they're tracking players and not teams. (yes, also speculation.)
Maybe that was true about fantasy a decade or so ago, but it is a lot easier to track fantasy without having to watch games. I have played fantasy baseball for a decade and the only time I have watched any games is when I am at my parents' house. Still have to go online to get the full picture of what my team is doing.

Exactly. Why should "negative press" or "controversy" be especially great for the Supreme Leader, but then simultaneously especially bad for the NFL?

The answer that occurs to me is that the Supreme Leader is better at marketing than the NFL.

Because Trump is Special.

Maybe that was true about fantasy a decade or so ago, but it is a lot easier to track fantasy without having to watch games. I have played fantasy baseball for a decade and the only time I have watched any games is when I am at my parents' house. Still have to go online to get the full picture of what my team is doing.
I don't disagree. I don't watch as much for keeping track. That's what the internet is for, but more i'm invested in individual players instead of the teams, so I have to watch on TV. I'll still watch the my home team but I may also watch my RB1 Game or my QB game.

It seems that the National Anthem wasn't broadcast during the USFL games featuring Trump's New Jersey Generals. Don't know if the didn't play it or they decided to make money off of commercial instead. I would bet good money that Trump doesn't stand while watching players kneel during the National Anthem.

...............I would bet good money that Trump doesn't stand while watching players kneel during the National Anthem.
He's too busy tweeting about other players disrespecting the flag and anthem.

The answer that occurs to me is that the Supreme Leader is better at marketing than the NFL.

Is he really that good at it though? He got significantly fewer votes than his horrendously marketed opponent and needed significant help from James Comey and a foreign government's hacking and propaganda machine to barely win on account of an archaic electoral system. And most of the votes he got were purely a result of blind partisanship, not anything he did.

Top Bottom