Barbarian cities spawn on some continents but not others?

iceboy103

Chieftain
I am playing on an 8 continent map but barbarian cities are only spawning on a few of the continents but not all. Why is this?

Barbarian cities only spawn in fog of war. If some of the continents have no remaining fog of war (because of unit placement or border expansions) then they won't spawn barbarian cities even if there is unclaimed territory available.

Barbarian cities only spawn in fog of war. If some of the continents have no remaining fog of war (because of unit placement or border expansions) then they won't spawn barbarian cities even if there is unclaimed territory available.

Not the issue here unfortunately as all the continents are large and have fog of war...

Not the issue here unfortunately as all the continents are large and have fog of war...

What is really wierd is that barbarians are spawning everywhere on all continents just not barbarian cities on all continents...

Strange. It might just be a coincidence of the random number generator, though. Maybe they could be appearing anywhere but just happen to be missing some of the continents by chance.

Barbarian spawn code (base CivIV:BtS) takes a lot of cues from the average number of cities that the players (human and AI) in the game have settled. For example, the cue that causes barabarians to start invading your borders instead of wandering around outside is triggered by the average number of cities each player has passing a certain threshold.

It is possible the barbarians are not allowed to have cities on unsettled continents. Or possibly the barbarians could settle their cities there, but there is a cap on the number of cities they can settle and they prefer cities on continents with other players, and therefore haven't yet chosen to settle on other continents.

Barbarian spawn code (base CivIV:BtS) takes a lot of cues from the average number of cities that the players (human and AI) in the game have settled. For example, the cue that causes barabarians to start invading your borders instead of wandering around outside is triggered by the average number of cities each player has passing a certain threshold.

It is possible the barbarians are not allowed to have cities on unsettled continents. Or possibly the barbarians could settle their cities there, but there is a cap on the number of cities they can settle and they prefer cities on continents with other players, and therefore haven't yet chosen to settle on other continents.

Well all of the continents are settled so that is not the issue and the invading began a long time ago on my continent but no barb cities anywhere. What is the cap on barbarian cities? Maybe that is the issue?

Well after 1000 turns a barbarian city has finally sprung up on my continent...I wonder what the hold up was?

Its this economy. The barbs were probably waiting for the real-estate market to bottom out before committing to a long term mortgage. Now they can grow equity.

Top Bottom