[NFP] Barbarian Clans Game Mode Discussion

AND they'd have to be very careful not to use any 'Barbarian' name that they might need later for a Civ - what were considered historically 'barbarians' have shown up as Civs too often in Civ games : see Civ V's Huns, Civ VI's Scythians, and many Barbarian-like Leaders - see Harald Hardradda in Civ VI - show up as Leaders for Civs already. I suspect as a result they are either going to find very obscure 'barbarian' Leaders or use completely fictitious ones (Atlatl the Hun, Gonad the Barbarian, Ydvig the Viking) - but not any that might be in copyright or trademark, like ones already in use in popular media.
I doubt that we are going to get any named barbarians other than the six designated clan. That being said I don't see the problem with Atilla being in the game as a "barbarian" leader considering the Huns aren't likely to show up at this point as a full civ.
However the idea of a Hun riding a horse with an atlatl sounds even cooler, yet terrifying, at the same time. I'm thinking of a 4 movement Hul'che unit. :mischief:

Beautiful.

In that case, here's a small list of potential Tribes:

[...]

That should be enough Tribes for the hill, forest, and Rover Clans without even delving into the Baltic, Scots, Britonic, East and Southeast Asian tribal groups. And North American Native Tribes alone is a list twice as long as this one, even if you leave out the famous ones!

That should be enough for the Barbarian mode...

... but I think I could use more if we expand the concept to Tribal Village / Camps <-> Civilization
Spoiler :

upload_2021-2-22_19-33-25.png

My mod try to assign name by nearest major civ ethnicity as defined in game (Euro, Asian, etc...), but quickly runs out of name even on a small map when limiting it per era (which I'd like to do), and after naming the Tribal Villages, there is no name left for the Barbarians camps

And if we eventually want to use Terrains/Features (forest, jungle, ...) biases as in the official mode...

Maybe I should allow grouped village/camps to be of the same tribe name ? :think:

For anyone interested, I'd like your help here to generate lists of tribes that shared at some point the same regions of a "short" list of Civilizations

Ask and Ye Shall Receive:

Russian Tribes (north of the edge of the forest belt, west of the Ural Mountains):
Dregovichs
Drevlyans
Krivichs
Polans
Radimichs
Severians
Tivertsi
Ulichs
Vyatihs
Baltic Tribes: (1500 BCE* - 1000 CE*)
area of Later Lithuania:
Aesti
Curonians
Galinians
Old Prussians
Sambians
Samogitians
Selonians (overlaps with Latvia)
Skalvians
Semigallians (overlaps with Latvia)
Yotvingians
Baltic Tribes (400* - 800 CE*) area of Latvia:
Curonians (Korsi, Kurir)
Latgalians
Selonians
Semigallians
Baltic Tribes (500 BCE - 1000 CE*) area of Estonia:
Aestii (overlaps with Lithuania)
Osilians (Oesilians)
Chudes (Finns or Lapps)
Ancient British Tribes (800* BCE - 100 CE*)
NOTE: virtually all names are Greek or Roman transliterations/translations)
Area of later England:

Atrebates (Celtic immigrants from the continent)
Belgae (Celtic immigrants from the continent)
Cantiaci
Carvetii
Catuvelauni
Corieltauvi
Dobunni
Dumnonii (Cornwall)
Durotriges
Iceni
Regnenses
Trinovantes
German Tribes in England (400 CE - 700 CE)
Gyre (Anglian)
Haestingas (Saxon)
Hwicce (Saxon)
Magonsaete (Anglian)
Suthrege (Saxon)
Witware (Jutes)
Wreoconsaete (Anglian)
Tribes in area of later Scotland:
Brigantes
Caledonii
Caereni
Carnonacae
Corionototae
Creones
Damnonii
Decantae
Novantae
Selgovae
Smertae
Setantii
Venicones
Votadeni
Tribes in area of later Wales:
Deceangli
Demetae
Gangani
Ordovices
Silures
Tribes/Minor "Kingdoms" of Ireland (500 BCE* - 800 CE)
Aidhne
Aileach
Airgialla
Breifne
Dal Fiatach
Dal nAraidi
Fir Manach
Laighin
Meath
Mide
Moylurg
Osraighe
Thormond
Ui Failghe
Ui Maine
Ulaid
Tribal Spain (3200* - 850 BCE*)
Iberians
Celtiberians
Celtici
Lusitanians
Vascones
Tribal Portugal (3200* - 500 BCE*)
Celtici (overlaps with Spain)
Cornii
Lusitanians (overlaps with Spain)
Turduli
Oestriminis
Tribal Denmark (1500 BCE* - 700 CE*)
Dani
Geats
Heruli
Tribal Sweden (1700 BCE* - 550 CE*)
Sami
Geats (overlaps with Denmark)
Goths
Tribal Georgia (6000* - 653 BCE)
Abkhazi
Kartvelians
Svaneti
Tribal Armenia (2300* - 800 BCE*)
Armani
Hayastan
Ibla
Urartu (Van)
Tribal Azerbaijan
Also known as (Caucasian) Albania (Aghuank, Agvank) (2600* - 800* BCE)

Caspians
Gargarians
Utians

I'm still working on the Central, East, Southwest, Southeast Asian and African groups . . .

i dunno if anyone said this, but there are a lot of similarities between this game mode and the barbarians/minor tribe system from Old World

Barbarians can already develop into cities in Civ IV, when Soren Johnson was part of Firaxis. It is not very surprising when both decided to revisit an old idea they once worked on together.

Why not both ? (mode and scenario)

ehm... ehm...
I presume you have meant Slavic Tribes :rolleyes:

Slavic indeed, but commonly referred to as "Eastern Slavs" as opposed to the West Slavs and Southern Slavs that ended up in the modern Baltic States area and all the way down to the Balkans.

It would be really nice to be able to include the area's pre-Slavic inhabitants, but before the Proto-Slavic period (roughly, 1500 BCE on) the area seems to have been a 'cultural border' between the steppe cultures to the south and the Finno-Ugraic to the north: the later Scythian cultural artifacts are found as far north as the Kaluga area near Moscow, while Finno-Ugraic tribes like the Chud are north of the Dnepr watershed to the north of there. Since, contrary to popular belief, the later 'horse nomad/pastorialists' started out as settled villagers and switched to 'nomads' only when they got horse mobility (the same path taken by the North American Kiowa and Comanche) they seem to have originally settled well into the 'forest belt' later labeled as the 'homeland' of the Slavs.

Barbarian mode from the look of it seems to be the one mode i'll have enabled every game. Perhaps the best thing that has come out the New Frontier Pass [as that is how it was funded...] and it's free.

While waiting for the Live Stream of the official Barbarians Mode, here are 2 shorts video of my own implementation of Barbarians interaction in my Mod.

(yep, don't ask my why, but I wanted to have my first city on the coast, and I though following the river was a good idea... I just didn't expected it to be longer than the Nile !)

While waiting for the Live Stream of the official Barbarians Mode, here are 2 shorts video of my own implementation of Barbarians interaction in my Mod.

(yep, don't ask my why, but I wanted to have my first city on the coast, and I though following the river was a good idea... I just didn't expected it to be longer than the Nile !)

Looks good! Very impressive. That's also a lot of stuff going on in your UI. Eating? "+1 Military"? all the stuff in the top menu? Such a tease :D

Anyone else having trouble healing units bought in barbarian camps? My swordsman won't heal when fortified.

I'll try a different tile, see if the issue persists.

Not seen this - you definitely have enough iron, right?

I had an issue today where I improved an iron resource in one of my ex-barb CS’s and although everything said I should have been receiving 2 a turn it just wasn’t accumulating. Fixed with a reload.

Anyone else having trouble healing units bought in barbarian camps? My swordsman won't heal when fortified.

I'll try a different tile, see if the issue persists.

Have healed Barbarian Horsemen in 2 games, no problem. Have not had a hired Swordsman yet, so can't confirm or deny your specific case.

Hmm, maybe I missed something...but isn't this mode supposed to only have "Barbarian Clans"? Or are they intended to be mixed with "normal camps"? The screenshots are from a game with the mode, with working Clans, being able to evolve into CSs:
Spoiler :

StandardBarbCampInBarbMode.jpg

I get only the option to clear the camp here:
StandardBarbCampInBarbMode2.jpg

Okay, it is a Marathon game on a huge terra map, I overcrowded it a bit with 14 civs and placed only 1 CS from start on, but should that matter? Initially, I spotted some Clans on the old continent, but the Deity AIs made short business with them. So my gut feeling is that ATM the Clans are more likely to sit in the new world. May the cause a kind of "shortage" in the old world? Is there an upper limit of how many Clans can be on the map at the same time (e.g. only 7, one of each type or 35, equalling the name pool)? Does that collide with the "supposed" amount of barbs on a huge map and what can't be represented with clans uses standard camps as fall back?

Not seen this - you definitely have enough iron, right?

I had an issue today where I improved an iron resource in one of my ex-barb CS’s and although everything said I should have been receiving 2 a turn it just wasn’t accumulating. Fixed with a reload.

I have no iron at all!

I don't even remember last time I ran out of iron, I had completely forgotten that was a thing. Thanks for spotting it.

Top Bottom