Best civ for each religious victory

Are Arabs a good choice to try on the Jewish URV with the shrine and auto-spread?

Are Arabs a good choice to try on the Jewish URV with the shrine and auto-spread?
If you want an early victory you should take a civ that spawn a bit earlier like Greece.
You biggest problem is going to be to get Legendary culture in your holy city.
Having another holy city than Jerusalem can help in that matter (if you raze it before the Religion is founded there).
Still where it will be founded is a bit random. But its likely to be in some city in Egypt instead.

Last edited:
Anyone know how to do the Buddist religious victory?
How to get highest Approval Rating for 300 turns? What is "approval rating" based on?
I can see a %s number on the Info->Demographics screen, but how is it calculated?

Code:
def getApprovalRating(self, iPlayer):
    pPlayer = gc.getPlayer(iPlayer)

if not pPlayer.isAlive(): return 0

iHappy = pPlayer.calculateTotalCityHappiness()
    iUnhappy = pPlayer.calculateTotalCityUnhappiness()

return (iHappy * 100) / max(1, iHappy + iUnhappy)
I hope that is somewhat illustrative.

Code:
def getApprovalRating(self, iPlayer):
    pPlayer = gc.getPlayer(iPlayer)

if not pPlayer.isAlive(): return 0

iHappy = pPlayer.calculateTotalCityHappiness()
    iUnhappy = pPlayer.calculateTotalCityUnhappiness()

return (iHappy * 100) / max(1, iHappy + iUnhappy)
I hope that is somewhat illustrative.
So basically you need the best overall city happiness for 300 turns.

Yeah, basically if you play "optimally" and draft/whip lots and grow every city to it's happy/food cap, your approval rating will suck. Try minimizing drafting and whipping and only working crucial tiles to keep your cities smaller.

Shaved a thousand+ years off Hindu by doing it with Greece instead of China. The obvious choice given their UP and access to the Parthenon and Statue of Zeus. I founded Buddhism and built Shwedagon Paya but forgot to revolt to Scholasticism for about twenty turns :blush: so it could easily be done in the 200s even without the amphitheater quest. Maybe founding Zoro and building the Mausoleum in Greece would let you convert to Hinduism early and get a BC finish with an early SoZ golden age. Fewer wonders and 2/3 UHV would be very hard but you'd only need six great people!

Confucianism in 1085 as Egypt -> Rome. Rome is very strong for this as it has the ability to spread Confucianism to the cores of about a dozen potential friendly civs for +4 brothers and sisters of the faith and has a lot more (and more productive) cities than China does. Organizing a massive dogpile of Ragnar and revolting to Theocracy+Vassalage right at the end put me over the top. No idea why Izzy and Barbarossa have Theocracy as their favorite civics but there you go. You could start as China or reload for one of the rare games where AI China doesn't manage to found Confucianism in time for a "purer" experience

Protestant China, 912. This one is basically down to luck: in addition to very aggressive hut popping (ie WorldBuilder) you need to get very lucky with how Catholicism spreads (so you and at least two or three other civs get it) and then the same with Protestantism. After that the limiting factor is great people. I popped goodie huts in Japan, Australia, Argentina, England, and North America to put a variety of techs that would give more fast :gp: including BC Philosophy, Aesthetics before Pottery (for the Parthenon), Physics and Democracy (2GPs = 1 Golden Age) and got 2/3 UHV and Taj for their golden ages to be able to pop 4 GEs, 4GMs, the Economics merchant and an engineer from La Mezquita. Leaning Tower makes a HUGE difference. Greece, which is limited by Tech rather than GPs, could probably do it better, actually, by sending some galleys through the Suez Canal to grab the Australian and Japanese huts

Last edited:
Trying to do Catholicism as China -> Mongolia but it's not working. Does anybody know what the actual triggers for the Great Schism were in 1.14? I even tried building an Orthodox Cathedral but nothing happened, now five games in a row with no Catholicism to convert to. I know it can happen but I would also like to get it as early as possible so would be helpful information

The year 1436. The world is 29% Catholic and with no colonies yet founded and every colonial civ including Russia follows the True Faith. The prophets have been settled and Mongolia prepares to invade Ethiopia and India with 0 in expansion stability. But only 10/150 turns as Pope:cry:

Since Catholicism is so BORING I decided to have fun. Islamic Greece in 490AD! Founded Hinduism as Egypt for the shrine, and Taoism with the Swedish hut. Judaism in Jerusalem, Zoro in Persepolis, and Buddhism in Patliputra (last two shrines helpfully provided by the AI) brings the needed GPs down to only ten (minus two great generals) which is nothing for Greece. Had China not collapsed I'm not sure how this would have gone; I was getting ready to conquer Italy and found some cities in England for more pop but my stability was getting bad and persecuting cities was not helping. Using the Irish goody hut to tech Divine Right immediately after Orthodoxy autofounded in Aksum was key. I delayed entering the medieval era to get more great people but I wonder if founding Islam in the BCs might have been better to prevent Judaism from spreading too
greekislam.png

Last edited:
Since Catholicism is so BORING I decided to have fun. Islamic Greece in 490AD! Founded Hinduism as Egypt for the shrine, and Taoism with the Swedish hut. Judaism in Jerusalem, Zoro in Persepolis, and Buddhism in Patliputra (last two shrines helpfully provided by the AI) brings the needed GPs down to only ten (minus two great generals) which is nothing for Greece. Had China not collapsed I'm not sure how this would have gone; I was getting ready to conquer Italy and found some cities in England for more pop but my stability was getting bad and persecuting cities was not helping. Using the Irish goody hut to tech Divine Right immediately after Orthodoxy autofounded in Aksum was key. I delayed entering the medieval era to get more great people but I wonder if founding Islam in the BCs might have been better to prevent Judaism from spreading too View attachment 617829

This version is so old! (Looking at the old Orthodoxy icon and the old Greece color of bright cyan)

What version is this?

1.14 as in my sig. Last update before the new tech tree and other changes that made it feel less like an updated RFC and more like something else to me

Last edited:
Greek Catholicism closing on 40% of the world in 1400 without any Euro colonies. Just gifted them Astro and Gunpowder so let's see if they can get their asses in gear for once :gripe:

Last edited:
With a nice healthy economy (-479gpt in STRIKE) Greece has achieved victory in 1584AD. Every single civilization in the world except Japan and Indonesia is Catholic and I still almost got into an unwinnable situation. 50% of all the land is just hugely punishing for a civ with ancient era modifiers to attempt. For no reason I could see England and France were unstable pretty much since their spawns so I was nervous about loading them up with cities; thankfully Russia and China were happy to accept most of my Siberian garbage to keep costs down slightly and Spain would take random stuff here and there as well

Secular in 1572 as Greece -> France. Crazy that despite having such starkly different conditions those two victories came at around the same time. There was a big similarity in how they played (wonderspam in Athens/Corinth, conquer Asia, build a bunch of stuff before you collapse) which explains most of it I think.

And that makes every religion in a reasonable time! What have we learned? That China or Greece is generally the answer, mainly. Starting in the ancient era with a strong UP and good land is worth a lot to the point where unless the URV wants something ancient civs just can't do quickly like generating 20 GPs it's not even worth it to plan a switch to a later civ with good modifiers

Last edited:
Hinduism is pretty easy as Greece (finished around 900 AD, would've been earlier if I hadn't used Great Prophets for shrines). Basically, just conquer east and drop your great people in the Hindu holy city, convert before your second UHV for the golden age, and then knock out whatever China's biggest city is. There really aren't any real threats if you prepare for the Roman conquerors (catapults and elephants) & the Arabs (elephants).

Last edited:
Top Bottom