Best Decade for Music

Best Musical Decade?

• Total voters
They created extremely raw, catchy and maddeningly angry music in a way that none of the other punk pioneers did, and they were at the center of the emerging British punk culture, whereas the others were not. Their little circle of friends and groupies alone produced Billy Idol, who both fronted Generation X and had a very successful solo career, Siouxsie Sioux and Steven Severin, who founded Siouxsie And The Banshees, and avant-garde fashion designer Vivienne Westwood. They also had Soo Catwoman, who came up with what was arguably the first punk hairstyle that involved shaving your hair into unusual shapes. Add to that their addition of bondage gear to the punk repertoire, and the Sex Pistols, with a lot of help from their friends, made a huge impact on the formation of punk.

Thanks for the reply! :goodjob:

As for the Pistols, I could go on and on, I think Flour got the gist of what I might add, so I'll say that I essentially agree w/ him.

Her, dear. But thank you. :lol:

Thanks for the reply! :goodjob:

Quite welcome! :goodjob:
I just got finished watching a CNN special on global warming, for the sole reason that Peter Schwartz, my brother's boss, was interviewed on it, and I gotta say, garbage like that (with the exception of Schwartz, bless 'is heart) makes me realize how smart all of you folks are.

Spam, I know, but I just had to say it. It's wonderfully refreshing to be able to have an intelligent music discussion, an intelligent game strategy discussion and a good political debate in the same forum.

1960s or 1970s, where all the really great rock bands started coming out on the scene.

1960s or 1970s, where all the really great rock bands started coming out on the scene.

I'm most fond of the late '70s and early '80s - that was a very special time in the development of rock music.

The funniest music related moment of my life (relating to what decade music was released in):

PERSON: I don't like u2. They rip off Coldplay's style. Its good, but Coldplay did it first.
ME: Like what songs?
PERSON: With Or Without You, and that whole Joshua album thing
ME: That album was 10 years before coldplay was formed you (censored)
PERSON: No it wasnt. Ill bet you any money it wasnt. They totally stole it from coldplay.

I won $25 from that. 1987 vs 1996. 9 years difference between Joshua Tree and Coldplay. Yet supposedly Bono travelled back in time after coldplay and did it.

Other musicians and bands such as Coldplay,[122] The Killers,[122] and Angels and Airwaves[123] have in turn been influenced by the work of U2.

1965-1991.

Bit longer than a decade, but still.

I was quite detached while growing up to the music scene that kids my age were into. The first music that I really got into were hard rock bands that paved the way to metal (Led Zeppelin, AC/DC), but I still held an aversion to metal (till really recently). From there, I worked my way forward. The music of the 70s then is where it began for me, and that's where my vote lies.

The funniest music related moment of my life (relating to what decade music was released in):

PERSON: I don't like u2. They rip off Coldplay's style. Its good, but Coldplay did it first.
ME: Like what songs?
PERSON: With Or Without You, and that whole Joshua album thing
ME: That album was 10 years before coldplay was formed you (censored)
PERSON: No it wasnt. Ill bet you any money it wasnt. They totally stole it from coldplay.

I won $25 from that. 1987 vs 1996. 9 years difference between Joshua Tree and Coldplay. Yet supposedly Bono travelled back in time after coldplay and did it.

Other musicians and bands such as Coldplay,[122] The Killers,[122] and Angels and Airwaves[123] have in turn been influenced by the work of U2.

I don't personally think that U2 and Coldplay are really that similar, but I'm told that within many of the tiny sub-sub-sub-genres I like, all of the bands sound the same (I beg to differ). Maybe I'm just hyper-sensitive to differences in sound... :lol:

Loyalty to my teen years would require to say 90s, but little introspection revealed that I didn't like so much international pop music back then. Nirvana made a good start reforming rock, but most of their followers felt very artificial. Noteworth is Faith No More's masterpiece King for a Day... Fool for a Lifetime, in wich rock music so far culminates (track 9 is the ultimate rock-piece). Latter part of 90s was generally more interesting as the attitude of former part united with pop and more exotic rythms. However there was more of good songs than good artists. Probably Pulp would be the only one to stand the test of time.

In 90s after original rock-awakening I moved quickly to listen Finnish "underground" music, which reached the peak of it's originality at the time. I still have very high regard for that music, but unfortunately most of the records have become too familiar for me. Lately I've been listening mostly international pop-music fom 60s, and there's no way around it: on the international scale 60s beat 90s any time. As this poll probably is meant to mean music in global terms, I have to reply 60s.

B sides. That tells me what decade was the best and I'd have to say the 70's since I listened to whole albums not individual songs. I think the decade was an inflection point for music and it's why I think my music tastes are so diverse.

Some of my favorites that I could listen to again and again and did when I'd road trip...

Zep, The Who, Stones, The Doors, Floyd, Neil Young, Springsteen, Elvis Costello, The Clash, T Rex, Seger, Reo Speewagon, Bob Marley, Toys in the Attic, Talking Heads, Grateful Dead, Tom Petty, Bowie, Roxy Music, Allman Bros, The Eagles, B-52's, Joe Jackson, Traffic, Steve Miller Band, Iggy Pop, Supertramp, Ramones, the best Genesis, Grank Funk, ZZ Top, Lynyrd Skynard....on and on and on...

The beauty is most of them had longevity.

Zep, The Who, Stones, The Doors, Floyd, Neil Young, Springsteen, Elvis Costello, The Clash, T Rex, Seger, Reo Speewagon, Bob Marley, Toys in the Attic, Talking Heads, Grateful Dead, Tom Petty, Bowie, Roxy Music, Allman Bros, The Eagles, B-52's, Joe Jackson, Traffic, Steve Miller Band, Iggy Pop, Supertramp, Ramones, the best Genesis, Grank Funk, ZZ Top, Lynyrd Skynard....on and on and on...

You have very good taste in music Whomp.

B sides. That tells me what decade was the best and I'd have to say the 70's since I listened to whole albums not individual songs. I think the decade was an inflection point for music and it's why I think my music tastes are so diverse.

Some of my favorites that I could listen to again and again and did when I'd road trip...

:goodjob:

I don't know when the good music started, but I do when when it ended - it died with the grunge music. Last good genre. :( After that it's only some rare good artists or good bands, but no more good genres.

You have very good taste in music Whomp.
Thanks. I feel pretty fortunate to have experienced a lot of it live.
:goodjob:

I don't know when the good music started, but I do when when it ended - it died with the grunge music. Last good genre. :( After that it's only some rare good artists or good bands, but no more good genres.
I'd concur. I was thinking it was me. I think Sublime could've started a whole new genre if....

I'm pretty sure anyone who's seen this live will agree it's pretty hard to beat their energy.
[windmill]The Who - Won't Get Fooled Again [/windmill]

Top Bottom