Best Decade for Music

Best Musical Decade?

• Total voters
people who say music all sucks now are people who don't try at all to find new music.

this isnt the 60s or 70s where good music is spoon fed to you.

I'll go with the ten years between 1968 and 1978.

Only some of the great bands from this period:

Cream
The Beatles
The Kinks
The Hollies
The Who
Buffalo Springfield
Deep Purple
Creedence Clearwater Revival
Cream
The Doors
The Foundations
The Guess Who
Bob Dylan
Jimi Hendrix
The Rolling Stones
Jefferson Airplane
The Allman Brothers Band
Blood, Sweat, and Tears
Derek and the Dominos
Aerosmith
Heart
Van Halen
The Eagles
Judas Priest
The Ramones
Jimmy Buffett
Bob Marley Band
Kansas
Lynyrd Skynyrd
Free
Kiss
Boston
Journey
Yes
THe Doobie Brothers
Golden Earring
Bachman-Turner Overdrive
Crosby, Stills, Nash, and Young (and their various combinations)
David Bowie
Queen
Jethro Tull
The Police
Rare Earth
The Blue Oyster Cult
ZZ Top

All great bands to be experienced during this time. :)

EDIT: The Grand Illusion by Styx!

B sides. That tells me what decade was the best and I'd have to say the 70's since I listened to whole albums not individual songs. I think the decade was an inflection point for music and it's why I think my music tastes are so diverse.

Some of my favorites that I could listen to again and again and did when I'd road trip...

Zep, The Who, Stones, The Doors, Floyd, Neil Young, Springsteen, Elvis Costello, The Clash, T Rex, Seger, Reo Speewagon, Bob Marley, Toys in the Attic, Talking Heads, Grateful Dead, Tom Petty, Bowie, Roxy Music, Allman Bros, The Eagles, B-52's, Joe Jackson, Traffic, Steve Miller Band, Iggy Pop, Supertramp, Ramones, the best Genesis, Grank Funk, ZZ Top, Lynyrd Skynard....on and on and on...

The beauty is most of them had longevity.

Toys in the Attic is an album, not a band :rolleyes:

Ah. Well then I should change Styx to "The Grand Illusion," as that's the only Styx album I liked. But we've had this conversation before, methinks.
I thought about laying down the albums instead of the bands but there's so many. Grand Illusion was their best.

Mr. Dictator said:
people who say music all sucks now are people who don't try at all to find new music.

I had a conversation with a musician/bartender in Brooklyn about this topic. He felt it was due to downloading from the internet that bands don't have the same concentrated interest like what was spoon fed to us. Would you agree?

Toys in the Attic is an album, not a band :rolleyes:

According to legend, one of the guys from Run-DMC thought the name of the band was Toys in the Attic before they worked with Aerosmith to put Walk This Way on their Raising Hell album.

I realize that but it's the only Aerosmith album I liked and I like your list but Styx blew.

Not Rocks? Well, on the other hand, after re-reading your list, maybe that was a bit dark for your tastes...

But I'll agree; good list, and the joy of entire albums worth listening to all the way through cannot be overstated.

I'm pretty sure anyone who's seen this live will agree it's pretty hard to beat their energy.
[windmill]The Who - Won't Get Fooled Again [/windmill]

As someone who saw them live last year, it is impssible to beat that. not even bono's dancing with random people in the crowd and walking around and around the elipse during vertigo tour came even close. If OK Go did the treadmill dance live while doing here it goes again maybe, but thats about it.

I don't know when the good music started, but I do when when it ended - it died with the grunge music. Last good genre. :( After that it's only some rare good artists or good bands, but no more good genres.

I disagree. The good stuff's still there; you just have to dig further to find it, as media is dominated by . .. .. .. . music. Some good genres to watch right now are technical metal, metalcore, post-rock, drone and noise (the last two only if you like very experimental music). There are a lot of good artists producing great spacey and meditative music right now - City And Colour, Eluvium and Tim Hecker come to mind. If you like slow, heavy stuff that . .. .. .. .s with your head, and are down for some experimental electronics, check out Collosloth - and turn it up loud. That stuff's a trip. :lol:

You, my friend, are absolutely correct.

I actually had to sit and think about this one for a bit. I'm into punk. All kinds of punk. So that pretty much gives me from the 70s until now. I chose the 2000s just because some of my favorite bands are still putting out better and better albums. Ignite as an example. Their latest album has to be my favorite of all time.

70s punk. I'm not actually that big of a fan of the Pistols. I just couldn't get into them. I was always more of a fan of Crass.

80s - More Crass. Conflict, Dirt, Flux of Pink Indians, Bad Religion, Black Flag, 7 Seconds, Minor Threat ...

90s - Offspring, Pennywise, Bad Religion, AFI, Good Riddance, The Pist, Aus Rotten, Deviates, Propagandhi...

00s - Dropkick Murphys, Flogging Molly, Ignite, Casualties, Unseen, Rise Against.

Most the bands cover more than one category. I really only chose the 2000s because of Ignite. Every other decade is about even for me. Maybe with the 90s a bit ahead just because I grew up with that stuff coming out and seeing the bands live.

I actually had to sit and think about this one for a bit. I'm into punk. All kinds of punk. So that pretty much gives me from the 70s until now. I chose the 2000s just because some of my favorite bands are still putting out better and better albums. Ignite as an example. Their latest album has to be my favorite of all time.

70s punk. I'm not actually that big of a fan of the Pistols. I just couldn't get into them. I was always more of a fan of Crass.

80s - More Crass. Conflict, Dirt, Flux of Pink Indians, Bad Religion, Black Flag, 7 Seconds, Minor Threat ...

90s - Offspring, Pennywise, Bad Religion, AFI, Good Riddance, The Pist, Aus Rotten, Deviates, Propagandhi...

00s - Dropkick Murphys, Flogging Molly, Ignite, Casualties, Unseen, Rise Against.

Most the bands cover more than one category. I really only chose the 2000s because of Ignite. Every other decade is about even for me. Maybe with the 90s a bit ahead just because I grew up with that stuff coming out and seeing the bands live.

I applaud your taste in music. :goodjob:

'70s--the golden age of prog.

Great list, but you're really missing out by ignoring the great Brit bands of the early years.

Jesus H., how could you not list the Clash? :( WTF, no Ramones! ;) I'm going to cut your mohawk and confiscate your leather jacket.

I think the Clash may be the best ever, but that's just me, so I'll supplement you a little here..

Let's see:
Clash, Buzzcocks, Wire (first album, OMG), the Pogues, then come modern and give the Libertines a go and you'll hear echoes of all this stuff.

US:
Agent Orange, Circle Jerks, X, Pixies, Black Flag (before they slowed way down), DK, Social D., Camper VB...

meh, good stuff. :)

What do you mean by "spoon-fed to us?"

i doubt you'd have to look far for someone who likes a good band back then.

but you're spoonfed those bands, either by their (often undue) reputation or because of your parents.

Top Bottom