Best map size settings for fun

Air trade is officially... immense!

Typically on a 206x206 map with 31 Civs, by time by the Industrial era aggression goes mad and the world descends into chaos, my old 2004ish XP machine took upwards of 2mins per turn with a huge, enthusiasm sapping delay after unit moves and unit/building production had been done. With air trade on the palace and harbours this second half of the end of turn is reduced massively and my end of turns are roughly 45 to 60 seconds in total. I can absolutely live with that and it might be the only way I play (with accelerated tech rate so it doesn't consume my life).

The downside is it hastens trading between all Civs, but I think the following would mitigate that:

i) as a human, choose not to suicide your naval units in order to identify other landmasses.
ii) (for Archilelago) only apply air trade to harbours (in addition to airports) so trade with other land masses still needs a harbour and is therefore delayed a little. I've yet to test if this is just as fast as also having air trade on the palace.

The other downsides are it prevents blockades, but that isn't a huge deal for me as we have trade embargoes.

I want to know, what are your best settings for map size to have the most fun with C3C (Worldsize, number of civs, distance between civs, tech rate, optimal number of cities).

May be I can include some of these informations in my epic mod and may be these informations can be interesting for other modders, too. :)
In my case I am playing a European scenario, with parts of East America, North Africa and part of the Middle East, size 100x100, with 31 civilizations, distance between 5 and 6 tiles for the cities. Technological development every 50 turns playing a view all combat mode (civilization 2 mode).

The feeling it gives is that you deepen the game a lot and forces you to be more strategic and adapt to each technological development that is discovered.

It is slower and at the same time fun and competitive. Over time you remember many years ago these lands belonged to the Romans... xd

Air trade is officially... immense!

Typically on a 206x206 map with 31 Civs, by time by the Industrial era aggression goes mad and the world descends into chaos, my old 2004ish XP machine took upwards of 2mins per turn with a huge, enthusiasm sapping delay after unit moves and unit/building production had been done. With air trade on the palace and harbours this second half of the end of turn is reduced massively and my end of turns are roughly 45 to 60 seconds in total. I can absolutely live with that and it might be the only way I play (with accelerated tech rate so it doesn't consume my life).

The downside is it hastens trading between all Civs, but I think the following would mitigate that:

i) as a human, choose not to suicide your naval units in order to identify other landmasses.
ii) (for Archilelago) only apply air trade to harbours (in addition to airports) so trade with other land masses still needs a harbour and is therefore delayed a little. I've yet to test if this is just as fast as also having air trade on the palace.

The other downsides are it prevents blockades, but that isn't a huge deal for me as we have trade embargoes.
I rather like Civinator's solution: along with what you've done, add the Air Trade Flag to your Palaces.

Top Bottom