blid03 - watch your borders

I left the units heal in Elephantine then took a stack of 2 axes and a spear into egyptian lands to pillage

I signed peace with Kublai after 3-4 turns and took 170 gold. Meanwhile, no mongolian units showed at all

I switched Elephantine from barracks to granary. We have happiness resources so we should use them

In the same turn, I had those disturbing news :
east side, the red woman is at the door

In the west, my pillaging party meets a frightening stack

I was completely vulnerable in the open but Hatty decided to go after Elephantine so I brought back my stack to the city. The egyptians would continue to drink wine for now

India took that nice barbarian city in the south. That's a pity. I had an archer there playing jackal but it was only defended with a single archer and Asoka had it in one turn

You can see that Nappy declared on Catherine. Seems like we'll be friends, Nappy.
Confucianism is founded same turn
See that, Cathy did it. It was bound to happen anyway

Nidaros finished its library and I hired 2 scientists asap. Build a granary next.

Hatty finally showed her super stack at Elephantine.

You can see the pillaging party getting back to defend. So I had in total 4 axes, 2 spears and an archer to defend elephantine. It was quite safe

Hatty attacked with just 2 axes. One of them won with 12% chance. I hate that. Next turn, remaining axes attack, thay all die save one who wins against our archer at 28% chance. Grrrrrr.

Well, I killed a good bunch of her units and I didn't loose at 80% which could have happened anyway since it's the same odds. Spears sent alone to pillage our phants are eaten alive by the axes :). Hatty sends a sword after that, Elephantine axes had a nice barbecue then

Turnset getting very eventful. First, Isabella declared on Catherine. The russian lady is being dogpiled

Then I spotted that mongolian party.

What are they up to ? No, not Kublai at our doors again :(
I took the available unit, the axe from Samrqand to check situation

After clearing up the threat and healinh the units in Elephantine, I sent again a couple axe/spear to pillage egypt. This time, I hope they won't meet a stack of 9 units on their road

With all the fighting, we got our first general. Didn't use him yet. I like military academy but we can't build one. Don't know much about the medic III thingy so I'll let you guys decide what to do with him

I said it was getting eventful. The horn blew again, and we have a new enemy :

I think Asoka was bribed because I can't see a stack at our door. That doesn't mean there would be none of course

We really lack granaries everywhere. I'm sacrificing time to build them before units because whipping without granaries hurts too much

I took that barb city in the nose of Kublai :p It is not too shabby with three resources. That was close as Kublai would have taken it next turn and because I attacked with the only available axe at 64% chance. We're safe from declaring on Kublai, for a while. The situation has also changed a bit, because we can afford a new neighbour now that Asoka has declared but I prefer keeping the option to sign peace with Hatty open

We have 2 friends now : Isa and Nappy are both pleased with us. I begged money from them and got 350 godl total. That money had a use

After finishing construction (13 turns when it said 42 at beginning of turnset is a nice surprise), I traded it and 270 gold to get currency from Isabella. We don't have calendar yet because Nappy won't trade (WFYABTA) and Julius got construction on his own. Currency helps immediately with the extra trade routes

I went for drama next. First, before it was with compass the only techs available and unknown by all civs. Compass is useless, drama OTOH opens path to philo so wan pop it with the scientist due in 17 turns in capital. Cross fingers no AI founds it before us

We can make peace with Hatty now if we want to. There is a stack in her territory on pillage duty. She won't offer a tech for peace and since Asoka has not shown any units yet, he definitely was bribed. He would attack sooner or later and in the south our defense is weak. So I guess we should make peace with Hatty in a few turns. Catherine is being dogpiled. I hope she doesn't die and just gets weak enough to be our buffer in that direction with permanent war. I think that we got lucky with Cathy being backward technologically and now dogpiled with AIs

Try to keep Nappy and Isa happy with us.

There is still a barb city in the north and Kublai is probably aiming for it now. Let's see how it goes in Stuge turns, hope he doesn't manage to get it.

Concerning city specialization, we can live with hybrid cities but let's at least assign some main focus for each one. I think we should set Uppsala as our main military pump. Capital should be farm. Carib should be cottaged. The other cities are plain crap. That's why we are in difficult situation. We have too much crappy cities.

We need to take Yue shi from Asoka. That city is great and Asoka must pay for his offense

shrinked Roster :
Stuge -> UP
Woebearer -> On deck
GreyFox -> resting
blid -> Just played

Save

... the save appears to be broken. Nevertheless, will get into the suitable mindset for prodding buttock.

Are there any big strategic decisions to make? I think that aiming for maces and trebuchets after drama would be for the best.

Sorry about the save, don't know what happened

Yeah, I agree we should pause here a while and decide on an overall strategy

First, how do we do with our neighbours. I think that we can keep a phony war with Cathy as long as she is busy east fighting two civs. We are accumulating MMS anyway which is always good

We need to get Nappy to friendly because he is already at WFYABTA and we need trading partners to get the most of the techs we pop. I'm putting high hopes on philosophy which we should get in 17 turns. Don't know if we'll get taoism but it would still be a vluable tech

Main decision is how to deal with the neighbours. We didn't have time to cripple Hatty enough and we definitely need that dyes city. If Cathy doesn't bring any threat, I'm wondering if we can hold war against both Asoka and Hatty until we get what we want from the egyptians and take that wonderful indian city in the south (Yue Shi) with flood plains and mucho food and lake tiles. Asoka was not prepared for war but this being emperor, Asoka would soon get some serious army heading towards us. Until then, maybe we can cripple Hatty a little bit more without putting our cities at big risk

I forgot to say we have a 10 XP guy already. The general can be used either as a military instructor or as battlefield general

You're welcome to join sooooo :)

You can get the turnset since Stuge hasn't shown yet so he can play afterwards

Hmm, played 10 turns. This is kinda like playing always war at Emperor. Had some bad RNG rolls and lost a city, things did not go well.

T1: Louis makes peace with catherine. See more egyptian troops (3 swords, 1 war chariot), retreat our pillaging stack. Send 2 axes to investigate northern barb city.

T2: Asoka converts to Vassalage. That'll mean no chance in getting Yue-Chi then. Northern barb city has no food - we don't want yet another crappy city. Send our axes back to support the war front. Hatty has stack of 3 swords and 3 war chariots near elephantine. We could deal with them if they attack, but we don't want them pillaging. Sign peace for 20 gold and 4 GPT.

T3: Carib finishes library, starts granary. Samarquand finishes granary, starts barracks. Catherine has decided to send a 4-troop stack at Apache (currently defended by 1 axe). Send 2 archers towards it, leaving Samarquand unguarded. Switch Apache to archer to whip if necessary.

T4: Whip granary at Carib. Whip archer at Apache.

T5: Revolt to buddhism, aligning ourselves with Izzy, Louis and Augustus. We need to get some friendly civs pronto. No attacks at Apache.

T6: Whip granary at Elephantine. No attacks, but Asoka is sending stacks at our two southern cities, which are weakly defended.

T7: Catherine attacks with 1 axeman at Apache (we scrambled 1 axe, 1 spear, 3 archers here) and obviously kills our axeman.

T8: At Apache, more bad luck as we lose an archer to a russian axeman. No more healthy axemen in that stack though. Christianity FIDL. At Carib we have 1 axe and 1 archer against Asoka's stack of 2 LBM. I had promoted our axe to cover but he loses to an attacking Indian LBM. Cannot whip anything here because we are only size 2 after I stupily whipped a granary a few turns ago. Only 1 CG archer left against Asoka's remaining LBM. Hathabu (defended by 1 archer) is approached by Indian stack of 1 sword and 1 chariot. Change city to archer.

T9: We lose Carib as our archer dies. Whip archer at Hathabu.

T10: Grr, archer dies at Hathabu to a sword. Only 1 left, facing wounded sword and chariot. As if we hadn't enough problems, 2 barb archers attack Apache and kill an archer. Catherine has sent her stack to pillage probably, so I put an archer on the stone hill I think she is going after. We will probably lose Hathabu next turn.

The Save

Basically, we had enough troops to deal with out enemies, but I could not predict where to put them. Most of the troops at the start were near egypt, understandably. When we signed peace with Hatty and catherine+barbs attacked apache, I sent troops there. We held that city, but Asoka upgraded to longbowmen and send 2 stacks at our southern cities. We did not reinforce them in time. That plus some very bad RNG rolls means we are in a desperate situation.

Not looking good. When Haithabu goes, so goes our source of metal.

I'll play tomorrow and see if anything can be done to save our sorry asses.

Not a very merry round, all things considered.

After drama finished, I sold it to Augustus for HBR and some gold. We could trade HBR and drama to Izzy for feudalism but we'd need a whole bunch of cash to sweeten the deal. Speaking of cash, our finances are now going negative at 40%.

We're now researching metal casting. It'll take 24 turns still but the AIs usually avoid it, so it could make good trade material. And it leads to machinery, which means crossbows. Never mind that machinery will take at the current rate 50+ turns to research.

The Russian stack managed to pillage our quarry and a new-built cottage but was annihilated outside Samarqand. A Russian chariot pillaged our rice farm near Nidaros and, due to me being slow, killed one of our workers. Paid him back, though.

Asoka captured Haithabu but it was taken back next turn. He also sent two swords through Egypt which resulted in the loss of Elephantine. It too was taken back next turn.

Right now things are quiet. No enemy units inside our borders. Our first war elephant was trained in Nidaros and a couple more are almost ready. I suggest that we join General Pizarro with one.

Save

Got it, man we look like we are heading into the crapper on this one. Its going to be a tough row to hoe to get us back on our feet, but no worries - well just make Sooo take like 4 turnsets in a row!

I'll play tonight.

I took a loos at the save, it seems ugly :help:
Let's see what Woe gets in his turnset, but it seems like I went over my head setting this variant on emperor :rolleyes:

Ugh, I'm going to have to hit eject on this one guys - work and school full time has caught up with me. Sorry guys.

Ahh... blid being a bit too ambitious again :D You do know how to come up with hard variants my friend. I'm still waiting to try that ring variant again :D

Fox, if you feel suicidal :suicide: , you can take a shot
Woe is out, so is LordOgre. It's up to you

Top Bottom