BNW Crashes more?

tibbles

Warlord
Does BNW crash much more than Civ5 ever did for anyone else?

I got a new videocard since the last time I fired up G&K, wondering if my settings/drivers are unstable only in Civ5 or if it's a new BNW thing.

It's the same game really, just new civs and other/new game mechanics. Graphics and CPU wise it's basically the same.

Might wanna post a dxdiag so people may be able to give more specific advice.

Is your new graphic card of the same manufactorer than the previous one (Nvidia or ATI/AMD)?
Did you uninstall the old drivers and install the newest ones for the new card manually or even with a specific tool?

Replaced a gtx 460 with a gtx 770. New drivers, but I guess I should check again for an update.

I've got it overclocked, which could be the cause, but I've also been running things like 3DMark, F@H, SC2, and Tomb Raider without any issues for the last 2 weeks. Tonight will by first chance to run Civ for more than 30min, I'll try my card back at default, see if I can get more than 20-30 turns before crashing like yesterday night.

I've experienced blackouts during Civ V Brave New World where I did not with Gods and Kings. I don't want to say I'm sure it's BNW but it's looking that way. :(

I have an Asus G73JH laptop, which apparently is old by this year's standards, so maybe that's it? But no, my computer doesn't crash when playing other more graphics-intensive games....so I am forced to conclude it's BNW. So far not too many people are complaining about crashes, so I'm unsure how widespread this is.

A few settings changes that may help. Reduce your fog of war to anything but "high", set your leaders to "Medium" or lower, and turn off GPU Decode. See if that helps.

Hmm, tomorrow night maybe I'll try the reduced fog. Though the whole reason I got the new card was to be able to play all current games at 1080 on high settings. Civ5 isn't THAT intensive unless BNW did something.

I was able to play for 2 hours straight with my card settings on default unlike night before when I crashed in 10-15min, so maybe despite being stable overnight and not artifacting in 3dmark or other games, my OC isn't stable in Civ5. Course, then I BSODed when I exited to Windows... :p

Add me to the list of people who have had crashes.

i5 3570k @ 4.2ghz
16gb DDR3 RAM
SLI 670's

....I think my specs are sufficient. I don't have issues with any other game.

yep, i have CONSTANT crashes. also, that red/white square bug comes up a lot now too.

I'm getting the same problem. My game is crashing completely randomly despite running perfectly with Gods and Kings. Is this just a launch bug for BNW that'll eventually be fixed?

I'd have to agree that BNW is much more unstable on my computer. I would occasionally get crashes if I played for a long time or on larger maps with G&K. With Brave New World I'm crashing constantly, have not been able to finish a game even on small maps.

I've already lowered all graphical settings as low as they can go, have updated my video drivers, and tried other suggestions that I've seen on this forum. All of those things did help a bit, I was getting further in the game before the crashes started, but its still definitely doing it significantly more than I was getting last week with Gods and Kings.

My computer is an older one, still using XP with 3 gigs of memory, but the video card is fairly new. Restarting the computer does seem to get rid of the red/white checkerboard thing over the hex grid and tile yeilds, but only temporarily and the game will still crash after about 30 mins. The game also seems to have a much higher chance to crash after more of the map has been revealed.

Well, my game is now crashing every turn. I've only tried one game as Shoshone on a Pangaea map with 8 players, and like Snubbs said, it may be getting worse due to more of the map being revealed. I think I'll try a new game with different settings and see if that helps. Either way, hopefully a patch is released soon. BNW is amazing so far!!

EDIT: Well, I started a new game with fewer players and on continents instead and it worked better but still crashed. I then tried lowering all graphical settings to their lowest and it's been working fine since, even the original Shoshone game. Clearly I was just running it too high.

Yeah I've pretty much had enough of it....the game crashes every single time I play.

I'll keep reading here and if there's a worthwhile fix/patch/whatever that comes up, I'll start playing again. But I'm done for now, way too aggravating to have the game constantly crash after 15 minutes or so every single time.

A few settings changes that may help. Reduce your fog of war to anything but "high", set your leaders to "Medium" or lower, and turn off GPU Decode. See if that helps.

How do you turn of fthe GPU decode? For me it's highlighted in grey, so I can't turn it off.

I tried it, did absolutely nothing for me.

This.

Adding my name to the list of victims for this random crash. I posted about it earlier but haven't had any luck as yet. Gonna have to play the game on the lowest settings and try it...

It's just weird as when I first started, I got to about 150 turns in a game without a crash - after that it was as often as every 5 minutes, sometimes about 15.

I then started another new game and only got to turn 35 or so before the crashes continued. It's unbelievably frustrating.

I have had no problems with crashes or freezing in CiV vanilla or in G&K. But since i got Brave new world there have been quite a few times when the game just freezes and i have to reset the computer. Clearly an issue with the new expansion that will hopefully be resolved in a patch somewhere down the road. But perhaps someone have a hotfix or at least some info about what Firaxis/2k are doing about this.

Moderator Action: Merged with a related thread.

Attachments

• DxDiag.txt
    27.4 KB · Views: 121
game never crashed once until BNW.

now it crashes every turn or two.... really pissing me off since i just want to play the game. just bought the dlc too and haven't even been able to play it barely..

just...

I think shutting off that new GPU decode option solved my problem with freezing. The freeze issues came with BNW so it was quite logical to look at the new features that came with the expansion. Well at least i think it solved my problem. I might have been lucky these last few hours of gameplay.

Odd, I don't even have the option to turn on the GPU decode, even with a brand new card and drivers. It's always greyed out. Is it Radeon only?

Can I add my grouch re random crashes.

Got it in G & K towards the end of a game tis true, but this puppu is falling over more times than an alcy in a distillery.

Worth mentioning played as Elizabeth - no problem. Played as Washington, unplayable after about turn 450. Fell over with Enrico Dandolo about the same time, same thing with Maria I of Portugal. Updated drivers, verified cache and all that mullarky - sometimes in G & K playing as a particular Civ seemed to be inviting trouble. Trying Shaka next.

Shame, cos the expansion pretty much floats my boat otherwise - I like modern wars and this is a slow-burner kinda game now!

Top Bottom