Bomber questions

kkapalk

Warlord
I have a quick couple of questions for you guys. I have a Bomber with a set amount of promotions and attack a Mobile SAM with it. The Bomber meets no resistance from the SAM and inflicts, say, 20 damage. If the Bomber had met resistance from said SAM and took some damage itself, would the damage inflicted on the SAM still be 20? Or does the damage inflicted on my plane have an instant effect, therefore reducing the damage on the SAM?
One other question. If my bomber had a promotion against naval units, and an enemy land unit embarked onto the water, would the promotion against naval units be effective against the embarked unit?
Thanks, Kev.

Before you attack look at the combat preview. It will tell you if bombing embarked units does indeed invoke the naval promotions for bombers. In all my time playing civ5 I actually can't tell you one way or the other.

As for bombers intercepted by mobile sams(or AA guns), if the gun intercepts your bomber then it seems the your bomber is the only one to take damage(ie the target doesn't get hit).

As for bombers intercepted by mobile sams(or AA guns), if the gun intercepts your bomber then it seems the your bomber is the only one to take damage(ie the target doesn't get hit).
Yeah, I think target will take 1 point of damage or something like that, but practically no damage.

The promotion, air targeting, (air because of it being a air unit) does give bonuses against embarked land units as well. However, embarked units can often be sunk with 1 bomber hit without the need for air targeting.

Before you attack look at the combat preview. It will tell you if bombing embarked units does indeed invoke the naval promotions for bombers.

I find preview windows incredibly unreliable for bombers. And I don't mean because of interception - it's easy to figure out when interception happened.

Instead I'll attack an embarked unit and typically deal 1/4th or so of the projected damage despite no interception. Definitely if the embarked unit is anti-air, but also for other units - like artillery I think. It's weird. I rarely acquire the anti-naval promo to test with against embarked though. And fighters seem to do better against embarked? That would make sense in a way, but still, should be reflected in the preview and it isn't.

To answer the OP, I don't think damage the attacked party (SAM unit) inflicts affects the damage your bomber deals. Bombers act like melee. Sans interception, the SAM is going to be very strong because of anti-air promo but still take appropriate damage. I think it would usually take 4-5 bomber attacks in a turn to kill a SAM even with anti-land promos.

I believe Embarked units count as Land units for targeting purposes. I remember when Submarines could get anti-naval or anti-land promotions like any other ship. If you were dumb or curious enough to put the anti-land promotion on submarines, it boosted damage against the embarked unit.

Top Bottom