Bonus ressource monopolies

Markal

Chieftain
Out of curiosity, I was wondering if it was ever considered to include the bonus ressources (fish, wheat, rice, deer...) in the monopoly mini-game in the same way strategic ressources are. On the paper I think it would be fun (albeit a bit of a gimmick). Strategic monopoly ressources are aimed at making warfare easier. The Bonus ressources could be the equivalent for peace oriented civs (favoring growth, income...). With the idea that in today's world controlling a huge share of rice production for instance is a big thing.

For instance, just for the sake of argument:
- 25% of fish = +5% food increase / 50% = 10% food increase
- 25% of maize = +1 prod on all cattle/sheep/horse tiles / 50% = +2prod
- 25% deer = +10% prod on range unit...

It would be hard to gather the monopoly, it would create some wield inflation, and it would likely require some buildings/policies/pantheons to boost the number of ressource (as it exists for strategic or as the EIC does for luxuries). It is also probable that it would favor domination civ (since they have more land). So that would be a lot of work and probably not worth the hassle but I'm still curious to know if it was ever considered or not.

Bonus resource monopoly is basically equivalent to gain more than 50% of land.

Bonus resource monopoly is basically equivalent to gain more than 50% of land.
If left as is, yes that would be. That is why I mentioned it would require buildings/policies tweaks to be interesting at all. For instance, if you play statecraft, build the right wonders and trade a bit, a strategic (25%) monopoly on a strategic resource is not out of reach even for a Tall game.

There is an Autocracy tenet (don't remember the name) doubling or tripling strategic resources, you could think of something similar for the freedom/order trees. A good way to boost subpar pantheons like God of the Sun could be to double the number of farm bonus resources for the sake of monopoly, same for goddess of the hunt. The Agribusiness building could be improved that way as well.

the only thing I want to see with bonus resources is some that give production. Why are all of them food? except stone, which there's like 2 of on the whole map

Cattle gives base production.

huh, I guess it's because they're always on grassland even when the nearby tiles are plains that I thought they gave food. a 2f 1p tile surrounded by 1f 1p tiles

It is also probable that it would favor domination civ (since they have more land). So that would be a lot of work and probably not worth the hassle but I'm still curious to know if it was ever considered or not.
I considered it. Could be easily implemented, but balance-wise on smaller maps it would be really strong.

Top Bottom