• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

BOTM 1 Final Spoiler

FWIW I think you did the best thing, however inadvertent the reasoning that led to it. It's not a huge deal if they are there, but I do think it's a bit better for a xOTM when they're turned off completely.

Not all combat related events are turned off, since i did get combat1 archer promotions in another GOTM/HOF game, and i believe i got shock in my failed BOTM 1 for spears or swords, dont remember exactly.

IIRC just axemen getting cover1 was disabled, because, well gamebreaking it is. And a few quests which didnt seems to function correctly.

I expect it will take a few months and people reporting them in their spoilers before people realize just how game breaking the events are. The first few GotMs had lots of goody huts available and it quickly became a game of which good player would get the luckiest results from the huts and people reporting them before they started getting eliminated, at least the ones the players could get to.

Not all combat related events are turned off, since i did get combat1 archer promotions in another GOTM/HOF game, and i believe i got shock in my failed BOTM 1 for spears or swords, dont remember exactly.

IIRC just axemen getting cover1 was disabled, because, well gamebreaking it is. And a few quests which didn't seems to function correctly.
Yeah though Thrallia said HOF mod turned off all combat related bonus events, and I never got one myself, I am just about 100% sure the AIs did get them in at least one of the two BOTM so far. I didn't want to say that until someone else posted it too though, just in case I was wrong. I don't think it had a major impact on my game or anything, but I am pretty sure it did happen.

Yeah though Thrallia said HOF mod turned off all combat related bonus events, and I never got one myself, I am just about 100% sure the AIs did get them in at least one of the two BOTM so far. I didn't want to say that until someone else posted it too though, just in case I was wrong. I don't think it had a major impact on my game or anything, but I am pretty sure it did happen.

Mine in BOTM2 (spoiler free since now) would have been alot more gamebreaking had i actualy played that civ before. I seem to remember mine in BOTM1 was additionaly helpful as i aimed my forces at a 2nd attack @ england. However BOTM1's was all for naught when stalin took england as a vassal and i decided to attack anyway, 5 turns later there were 10 longbows 10 axe and 6 swords in my capitol.

IIRC just axemen getting cover1 was disabled, because, well gamebreaking it is. And a few quests which didnt seems to function correctly.

I could be wrong, but I believe the axemen/cover and swords/shock promotion events were removed, and that the one or two broken events(partisans, for example) were fixed. I could be wrong, but I'll check the HOF Forum to find out exactly which ones were removed/changed.

I expect it will take a few months and people reporting them in their spoilers before people realize just how game breaking the events are. The first few GotMs had lots of goody huts available and it quickly became a game of which good player would get the luckiest results from the huts and people reporting them before they started getting eliminated, at least the ones the players could get to.

I've looked through the list of random events that are available with the HOF mod installed, and I have no seen a single one that I would call game breaking. I'd say gems/gold popping from a worked mine and barbarian spawning are much more gamebreaking than any of the random events I've seen were.

I've had both good and bad events thus far in my BtS games, and not one has had an adverse effect on my game that was larger than the effect I get from barb spawning, mines popping resources, or from even a bad combat roll.

Why don't you pm me the event(s) you think are still gamebreaking. I'm sure the HOF doesn't want a gamebreaking random event present in it, as that was the reasoning behind removing the combat promotion random events.

Speaking of resources popping from mines, are we cool to talk about modern resource locations for this game now that the deadline for submission has passed?

The 'villagers have built a pasture' event is unbalancing, IMO. It can happen very early in the game, like it did for me in both BOTMs, and the speed boost you receive to your worker/settler under construction is huge. If this - or another 'free improvement' event (are there others?) - occurs early enough, its effect multiplies exponentilally and it really makes a difference. On the other hand, later in the game they are hardly noticeable. So disabling these events would be a good thing.

I also hate the 'forest fire'. 'Road washed away by flood', 'hunters bringing extra food to granary' etc are annoying, because they throw off your meticulously calculated micromanagement - and precise MM is quite important in offline games.

Of course, if we throw those away too, we'll be left with just '+1 commerce in the tile' type of events, and then we can just as well scrap the random event system altogether. Which, if you ask me, we should do.

(Though I somewhat like the slave revolts, which add a drawback to an extremely powerful civic.)

Of course, if we throw those away too, we'll be left with just '+1 commerce in the tile' type of events, and then we can just as well scrap the random event system altogether. Which, if you ask me, we should do.
I agree 100%! Randomness may make for fun in a one-off game played at your leisure, making eacy game special and unique. In a game where you compete against others, it's just wrong.

(Though I somewhat like the slave revolts, which add a drawback to an extremely powerful civic.)
... and I agree with this as well. :yup:

@Balbes:
Lexad said:
P.S. Yep, and the first 4 random events I got was demolition of the same horse pasture at the capital
:)

I got same pasture destruction random event too, just after completing it (see my first spoiler where I express relief I did a warrior -- not chariot -- rush on Winnie given this). Only once though :)

The repeat destruction of one single pasture seems to be unbalancing and quite annoying, but it could be a minor bug within the system. But once you remove one event, another gets removed until all are off.

Speaking of resources popping from mines, are we cool to talk about modern resource locations for this game now that the deadline for submission has passed?

Go ahead. You can't spoil anyone's party now :)

Top Bottom