Brave New World's 9 new Civs

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think we'll definitely see (besides Poland) Portugal in this expansion. As for the other 7 civs I hope we see:

Zululand
Canada
Brazil
Australia
Israel
Indonesia
Norway

Again, this about Old World vs New World. And no modern New World civs have any business in the base game, other than America for obvious reasons.

I really like to see what reasons... You should see the newsroom and answers me Why America is th greatest contry in th world...

I really like to see what reasons... You should see the newsroom and answers me Why America is th greatest contry in th world...

Because America has been a superpower that has lead the world in the 20th century. Now we are in decline, but it doesn't change the role we played in the 20th century on a global stage. Whether we are the greatest country in the world is a debate for another time, but you cannot diminish our signifigance in the 20th century.

Again, until you make a valid point on why modern New World have a place in a civilization game, when there has been no precedent for this, I can't buy it. Why is this? Because if you start including these nations, then every other modern nation around the globe will warrant representation. That includes Canada, Mexico, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, Argentina, and God knows who else. If your point is, "we are better and more significant than those countries," then you are committing the same fallacy that you are accusing me of.

Because America has been a superpower that has lead the world in the 20th century. Now we are in decline, but it doesn't change the role we played in the 20th century on a global stage. Whether we are the greatest country in the world is a debate for another time, but you cannot diminish our signifigance in the 20th century.

Again, until you make a valid point on why modern New World have a place in a civilization game, when there has been no precedent for this, I can't buy it. Why is this? Because if you start including these nations, then every other modern nation around the globe will warrant representation. That includes Canada, Mexico, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, Argentina, and God knows who else. If your point is, "we are better and more significant than those countries," then you are committing the same fallacy that you are accusing me of.

IMHO your argument old world x new world, to be valid, needs to keep America Out of the game. Just MO.

edit: The SUPERPOWER America had what: 100 hegemonic years? And as you say you guys are just loosing power.

Again, until you make a valid point on why modern New World have a place in a civilization game, when there has been no precedent for this, I can't buy it. Why is this? Because if you start including these nations, then every other modern nation around the globe will warrant representation. That includes Canada, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, Argentina, and God knows who else. If your point is, "we are better and more significant than those countries," then you are committing the same fallacy that you are accusing me of.

All these countries you name put together do not even come close to the global influence that America had in the 20th century. America is a very young nation, but in its short history it has had a major and permanent impact on the world. This warrants America being a civ in the game.

I think we'll definitely see (besides Poland) Portugal in this expansion. As for the other 7 civs I hope we see:

Zululand
Canada
Brazil
Australia
Israel
Indonesia
Norway

Norway is part of Denmark-Norway aka Vikings, Harald Bluetooth.

Hoping to see my native country of Norway in this DLC. Doubt it will happen though. :shake:

On another note, has an official release date been announced yet? At Firaxis it says Dec 29 (really?!), other sites (IGN being one of them) state "this summer".

Is Dec 29 for real or is it just to point out that it'll be released by 2013? :confused:

America definitely deserves a role in the game. Its a bit silly not to include them and I have never understood people who have argued against the US on accords of "modernity". Brazil arguably as well for its influence in South America over these last couple of centuries.

Anyway, back on topic:

It's been implied in one of the interviews that one UA will allow an extra trade route. I think there's a lot more that can be don with trade routes than just an extra one. Here's some potential UA components, sopols, or wonder benefits:

greater profit from trade routes
faster caravans/cargo ships
longer trade routes (it was stated they have a limited range, initially)
greater defensive strength for caravans/cargo ships
better culture/religion pressure on trade routes
better science yield from trade routes

All these countries you name put together do not even come close to the global influence that America had in the 20th century. America is a very young nation, but in its short history it has had a major and permanent impact on the world. This warrants America being a civ in the game.

Ill be very cautious with the words permannt impact my friend. Im sure no other great Empire see the falling coming. BTW, i dont have any problem with America in the game, i just dont understand why not other modern Nations. Make the game more dinamic and its good for those like me who enjoiyn especialy play the last turns.

after reading a lot of you guys write in this topic my guests are:
Poland and Assyria

Belgium
African civ
African civ
Portugal

wild cards
Israel
Brazil
Italy
American Native civ

Ill be very cautious with the words permannt impact my friend. Im sure no other great Empire see the falling coming. BTW, i dont have any problem with America in the game, i just dont understand why not other modern Nations. Make the game more dinamic and its good for those like me who enjoiyn especialy play the last turns.

after reading a lot of you guys write in this topic my guests are:
Poland and Assyria

Belgium
African civ
African civ
Portugal

wild cards
Israel
Brazil
Italy
American Native civ

Why Italy and Belgium?There are many civs which deserves it much more.And Israel?For being an American outpost in the near east?Or the biblical Israel with king Solomon/David/whoever?Did they actually had more impact than Khazars,Majapahit,Srivajaya,Funan,Chenla or Khmer?

Why Italy and Belgium?There are many civs which deserves it much more.And Israel?For being an American outpost in the near east?Or the biblical Israel with king Solomon/David/whoever?Did they actually had more impact than Khazars,Majapahit,Srivajaya,Funan,Chenla or Khmer?

Italy and belgium for the Africa scenario. Id love to see Israel in the game and they have the chance to be in. The list its just MO whos gonna be, not my preferences.

Israel: the biblical one

I have a feeling that "Brave New World" can mean that the developers want to focus on civilizations which weren't featured in Civ yet. Look, Poland and Assyria never were in civ before and now they are the "headliners" (well, Poland is).

The colonization scenario also gives a hint about return of Portugal (the first colonial empire and last not featured major european power) and everybody's favorite african civ, the Zulus.

So here's my prediction list:

1) Poland
2) Assyria
3) Portugal
4) Zulu
5) Kongo (major african kingdom)
6) Israel (with redone culture victory they can be a very interesting civ, plus a new religious civ)
7) Indonesia (or whatever you call it)
8) Inuit (snow civ, they can be very fun to play)
9) Some ridiculous civ nobody expected so people could start writing long hate posts

edit: The SUPERPOWER America had what: 100 hegemonic years? And as you say you guys are just loosing power.

The Mongols were only a real power for 50. Doesn't change the fact that those 50 years were extremely important in opening up trade routes that had previously been closed for generations and etching the image of the keshik into the nightmares of western nations for years to come.

America culturally conquered the world in the 20th century, nobody else has had the same type of influence we've had. It's absurd to argue against America being in the game. I do think there's an argument to be made for Brazil, it's been a major South American power for as long as it has existed and is notable in being the only nation in the area to have never been under the thumb of American interests in the same way you find in places like Guatemala. States have been represented in Civ for less (I'm looking at you Songhai).

9) Some ridiculous civ nobody expected so people could start writing long hate posts

lol. I came to the same idea. Brave new World could be the first apearence of some civs, like some of my guesses.

Edit: Im not against America in the game guys, just want to see another modern civs. World Power its not the only one criteria of a civ b in the game, as you guys know it.

I see a lot of suggestions for the Majapahit Empire or the Indonesians.

The former is a polity and thus should not be a civilization and the latter would be disturbing because 'Indonesian' is very much a Eurocentric word.

If you want to satisfy the demand for both the Majapahit Empire and the Indonesians then just put the Javanese in the game as a civilization. The Majapahit Empire was made up primarily of ethnic Javanese and the Javanese are the largest ethnic group in Indonesia.

I think most people are referring to Biblical Israel when they just post "Israel". And it would be fairly difficult to argue the Hebrews and their introduction of Judaism, one of the first monotheistic faiths and progenitor of two other world faiths, had less impact than the Khazars,Majapahit,Srivajaya,Funan,Chenla or Khmer.

My opinion:

1-Poland
2-Assiria
3-Portugal
4-Brazil
5-Indonesia
6-Canada
7-Zulu
8-Belgium
9-South Africa

brave new world, perhaps the focus of modern civilizations, such as: Brazil, Canada, South Africa and even Australia

Canada, Belgium and South-Africa would be horrible choices for several reasons. I would not call these civilizations. They are modern states that dont even have that much unique culture. I'm very hopeful that "civs" like this will not be added.

Pretty much all previous Civs have long history (most thousands of years), unique language, unique culture etc. America being the only exception.

America culturally conquered the world in the 20th century, nobody else has had the same type of influence we've had. It's absurd to argue against America being in the game. I do think there's an argument to be made for Brazil, it's been a major South American power for as long as it has existed and is notable in being the only nation in the area to have never been under the thumb of American interests in the same way you find in places like Guatemala. States have been represented in Civ for less (I'm looking at you Songhai).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1964_Brazilian_coup_d'état

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom