Breakfast, the most important meal of the day.

Which of these are usually included in your breakfast meal?

• A hot drink (coffee, tea, etc.)

• A cold drink (juice, water, etc.)

• Hot cereal (may be seasonal)

• Cold cereal (may be seasonal)

• eggs

• Bacon or other meat

• Pancakes or waffles

• Fresh fruit

• Toast

• Muffin (looks like a cupcake)

• Other bread items (scones, croissant, etc.

• Veggies

• Yogurt

• Noodles

• Potatoes

• Fish

• Rice

• Soup

• Something else

• I don't eat breakfast

Results are only viewable after voting.
Usually this: Large cup of tea. Toast, one with cheese and one with jam. And a piece of fruit.

If I have to get up early I usually skip it as my appetite doesn't kick in in the early hours.

Coffee: Always. Non-negotiable. There is one exception: being in a country where usually coffee sucks, mostly because they are on tea.

Toast: A toast with olive oil and Iberian ham
Or
Fruit + Yogurt: Banana, grapes, strawberries.
Or
Bakery products

I don't like having too much breakfast, as a Hobbit, I like having a second breakfast about 10-11 AM. Another coffe and a sandwich or spanish omelette

Looking at the poll now that there are more results, I realize that there's one category that I don't usually eat for breakfast, but occasionally do.

Fish.

Specifically, kippers, also known as smoked herring. You can probably find it more easily on the British side of the pond, but the ones available here come tinned from the store. They certainly smell fishy, but they have quite a good taste. And they're a good source of protein in the morning.

I probably never would have tried them had I not played Factorio.

Less often, probably once or twice a year pre-pandemic before I forgot about it, I'd treat myself to bagels with lox and cream cheese for breakfast. I've only had that once in the past 3.5 years, when I was in New York last summer. The New York bagel lived up to its reputation.

Specifically, kippers, also known as smoked herring. You can probably find it more easily on the British side of the pond, but the ones available here come tinned from the store. They certainly smell fishy, but they have quite a good taste. And they're a good source of protein in the morning.
The shop that is almost the closest to me, which happens to be quite posh, smokes their own kippers and they are amazing. The standard cheap way you get them here is boil in the bag.
Spoiler Kippers :

The shop that is almost the closest to me, which happens to be quite posh, smokes their own kippers and they are amazing. The standard cheap way you get them here is boil in the bag.
That looks great! Question though, why is there a hole in the middle of the fish?

I wish we had more posh English breakfast places around here. I found a nice one in rural Colorado, founded and run by a woman from Lincoln, and the scones were amazing and the Scottish eggs very tasty as well. A different style of serving the scone than the Devon cream tea style that is better known, if still rare, here (and much different than the generic American style), but it convinced me that the north certainly knows a thing or two about scones as well.

That looks great! Question though, why is there a hole in the middle of the fish?
It is not a hole, it is a lump of butter.
I wish we had more posh English breakfast places around here. I found a nice one in rural Colorado, founded and run by a woman from Lincoln, and the scones were amazing and the Scottish eggs very tasty as well.
Do you mean Scotch eggs, as in hard boiled eggs wrapped in sausage meat? They are pretty good, if not usually considered high dining. I rate them made with black pudding.
Spoiler Scotch eggs :

A different style of serving the scone than the Devon cream tea style that is better known, if still rare, here (and much different than the generic American style), but it convinced me that the north certainly knows a thing or two about scones as well.
The core thing you need for a cream tea is Clotted Cream. It is amazing that they can make something that is less healthy than like all the ingredients, but it is so good.

Last edited:
It is not a hole, it is a lump of butter.

Do you mean Scotch eggs, as in hard boiled eggs wrapped in sausage meat? They are pretty good, if not usually considered high dining. I rate them made with black pudding.
Spoiler Scotch eggs :

The core thing you need for a cream tea is Clotted Cream. It is amazing that they can make something that is less healthy than like all the ingredients, but it is so good.
Ahhh... I see it now. It's remarkably close to the background color with my current monitor settings. Though the tinned ones over here also lack butter.

I did mean Scotch eggs! Hmm, the toughest part of following that recipe around here would be finding the black pudding.

There are a couple (as in, exactly two as far as I know) tea shops in my city that have cream tea with clotted cream, although the last time I went to one they were out of clotted cream, which was immensely disappointing. But apparently up in Lincoln, they go with butter and jam, but no clotted cream. I was skeptical that it would be as good, but I would certainly not say no to Lincoln style in the future. Something about the way the make the scones makes it go so much better with butter than I would have guessed.

There are a couple (as in, exactly two as far as I know) tea shops in my city that have cream tea with clotted cream, although the last time I went to one they were out of clotted cream, which was immensely disappointing. But apparently up in Lincoln, they go with butter and jam, but no clotted cream. I was skeptical that it would be as good, but I would certainly not say no to Lincoln style in the future. Something about the way the make the scones makes it go so much better with butter than I would have guessed.
You know most US butter is rubbish. I can imagine needing particularly good scones if your butter is bad.

I didn't check their source, but I would assume the English tea shop run by an Englishwoman had a good source of butter. While more expensive, European butter is generally available here.

I'd never looked into the details of the differences, though. It makes me wonder if the homemade butter pie crust we had last month could have been even better had we used European butter. Even with our native rubbish butter, it wound up far better than any store-bought pie crust I've ever had.

Herrings are vertebrates which means they have a backbone.

People can die from getting fishbones stuck in their throat, and the US has lawyers.

So that is most likely removed by a machine, leaving a hole, these days.

You can blame that on Ealth and Softy.

Top Bottom