Breakfast, the most important meal of the day.

Which of these are usually included in your breakfast meal?

• A hot drink (coffee, tea, etc.)

• A cold drink (juice, water, etc.)

• Hot cereal (may be seasonal)

• Cold cereal (may be seasonal)

• eggs

• Bacon or other meat

• Pancakes or waffles

• Fresh fruit

• Toast

• Muffin (looks like a cupcake)

• Other bread items (scones, croissant, etc.

• Veggies

• Yogurt

• Noodles

• Potatoes

• Fish

• Rice

• Soup

• Something else

• I don't eat breakfast

Results are only viewable after voting.

Birdjaguar

Hanafubuki
Super Moderator
Supporter
What do you eat for breakfast?

I alternate between two menus most of the time when I eat at home which is just about every day.

On one day I have:
  • A bowl of Oatmeal with some chopped almonds, a bit of cinnamon and either fresh or frozen fruit and skim milk
  • Orange juice
  • A mug of cafe au lait
And the next day:
  • A fried egg topped with cooked, sliced sweet peppers, diced shallots and sometimes mushrooms
  • Toast, English muffin or other bread
  • Orange juice
  • A mug of cafe au lait
From time to time I double up on the egg breakfast and have it two days in a row.

Hmm, sounds like you have more reliably good breakfasts than I do.

I voted for the most common, but it does vary. Still, most often it will be some combo of:

- A hot drink, namely tea. If it's a workday, I often don't get around to the tea until I get into the office, but if it isn't I'll have it with the food at home. Yeah I know it's supposed to help you wake up before you leave, but once I'm out of bed the hard part's over.
- A cold drink. Most often water but sometimes I manage to keep orange juice stocked.
- Hot cereal, specifically oatmeal. I buy it in bulk and it lasts a long time and is decently filling. Also quite inexpensive.
- Fresh fruit. Apples, bananas, and oranges being staples. Maybe a pear for variety.
- Toast. Very easy to prepare, quick to eat, with jam or honey.

Then there are the switch-it-ups:

- Breakfast burritos. Frozen, inexpensive, contains protein.
- Breakfast sandwich. Cooks at home in 5 minutes. English muffin, some variety of sausage, cheese, egg, and perhaps some Dijon and hot paprika to spice up the muffin.

I rarely have the energy to cook something up from scratch in the morning (I'm much more likely to cook dinner), but sometimes I'll have decided to make pancakes the night before and will have leftovers of those in the morning.

Muffins are primarily consumed as snacks at coffee shops.

I should have bacon tomorrow as I have some left over from Thanksgiving in the fridge. Never got in the habit of having it at breakfast, though I'll pick up a couple rashers at a hotel with breakfast on occasion.

Which brings me to when I actually treat breakfast like the most important meal of the day - when on vacation. I eat far better breakfasts when on vacation than at home. Not even so much due to it often being included and unlimited, but because an inadequate breakfast isn't as easily solved as when I can just open the fridge at home or the snack drawer at the office and have something to tide me over till lunch. Eggs and potatoes, and as well as breakfast meats, are more likely to make an appearance when I'm traveling.

Breakfast is whatever the first thing I eat after waking up. Given that today I woke up, caught my bus to go shopping (left around 1 pm) and got back 3 hours later, my breakfast today was a small bag of chili-flavored Doritos and Coke Zero.

Cereal is something my dad always preferred as a bedtime snack and he convinced me that this was a Good Thing.

Back in the days when I went to school, breakfast while living with my dad and his girlfriend was cereal, toast, and milk.

Breakfast in the early days of living with my grandparents was porridge (rolled oats), brown sugar, and milk.

After a few years of that, I asked my grandmother if I could have something different. She asked what I'd like, so scrambled eggs and milk became my daily breakfast. Egg nog was a seasonal treat (at Christmas and Easter).

As time went on and I started my home typing business, it soon became necessary to throw traditional breakfast out the window. Enough clients had an early morning pickup for early morning classes, and it was easier to go to a schedule of sleep between about 6 am-1 pm (my grandmother handled any pickups and drop-offs during that time), wake up and eat something - usually whatever was for lunch, normally soup and/or a sandwich or meat and veggies, watch my soap opera at 2 pm, and then type whatever pile of papers and resumes, etc. were waiting. I kept at it until it was finished - however many hours it took, with bathroom breaks. I'd usually finish sometime between 3-6 am, and if it was winter, I'd clear whatever ice and snow were on the porch and sidewalk, and then go to bed. So there were no normal breakfasts for those years.

The thing is, when you don't have much of a structured day and you're a night owl anyway, the idea of "breakfast" and certain things you would traditionally eat just seems unimportant.

It's a bit frustrating to explain this to doctors who can't wrap their minds around the idea of "I'm normally asleep at the time you're telling me to take this pill, and no, I can't just get up earlier." That's not how I'm wired.

But I do like eggs, toast, sausages, porridge (prefer cream of wheat with honey), and I still like milk.

There was a time at the nursing home when the nurses were expressing frustration over my dad not wanting to eat breakfast. So I told them to make some porridge, put some raisins in it, add some cinnamon and some milk, and tell him it was dessert - because that's the kind of thing my grandmother sometimes served for an afternoon snack. I told them he liked dessert, so he'd probably eat it. Just don't try it at breakfast time because he was also a night owl and definitely not in the mood for breakfast any time before noon.

Generally

1 pod coffee low fat milk, unsweetened
1 bowl of cereal. Usually oats with peaches most of the time.
Small serving of yogurt or toast
Piece of fruit.

Once a week dine out. Usually eggs Benedict or whatever. This week was a Caesar salad. No other take aways.

Yet undecided, very early day here, I started with a bit of leftover asparagus soup, saw eggs and bacon in the fridge, but no bread anywhere.

Perhaps a cup of tea now, a shower and then visit a nearby bakery..?

I don’t eat breakfast, not a breakfast person in general, although I love breakfast food. Plus breakfast being the most important is actually a marketing idea and has literally zero basis in fact.

IF i do eat something, I usually make myself a breakfast taco with cheesy scrambled eggs, bacon, hot sauce.

Usually just coffee, no food.
Sometimes if I'm hungry, a bowl of Muesli.

A cup of coffee.

I used to have cereal, but since something (rhymes with bovid, can't prove it but it has a documented impact on activating random things healthwise) triggered lactose intolerance after close to 35 years of not having it, I haven't been able to make the switch to a replacement yet.

More toast and eggs in my diet generally, plus vitamin D supplements.

I got lucky, friend came over and brought breakfast, so now it is pastry, the twisted kind, with pecan nuts, and some (maple?)sirup.

Fresh coffee too.

I used to have cereal, but since something (rhymes with bovid, can't prove it but it has a documented impact on activating random things healthwise) triggered lactose intolerance after close to 35 years of not having it, I haven't been able to make the switch to a replacement yet.
The only replacement I've been able to stomach is oat milk, but this runs into the secondary problem of most oat milk being watery, skim nonsense. Earth's Own is the best here in Canada, but I have no idea what it would be in the UK. An article seems to suggest Minor Figures, Oatly, and Rude Health as the best brands there.

The only replacement I've been able to stomach is oat milk, but this runs into the secondary problem of most oat milk being watery, skim nonsense. Earth's Own is the best here in Canada, but I have no idea what it would be in the UK. An article seems to suggest Minor Figures, Oatly, and Rude Health as the best brands there.
Oatly is big here at the moment, yeah (specifically around me). Other folk have suggested trying different kinds of replacement for different tasks (coffee vs. cereal, etc), but man I do not have the time or money to futz around with entire bottles of something I may or may not enjoy, either (all of which are more expensive than dairy milk, even considering how much basic groceries have been inflated here). I'll have to give oat milk a go at some point, it does come the most recommended generally, and I was getting into good breakfast habits (for the first time in my life since being a child) before all this happened :D

Coffee and some pastry. Ought to add a piece of fruit to the mix, I've been thinking.

Only protein in the morning, no carbs, or very very low as adjunct ingredients. Some variation of two eggs in olive oil and butter. I drink 16 to 20oz of water first thing when I wake up, and then my Panera coffee with almond milk. I will drink a little bit of the high-protein/fiber fruit smoothie that I make for the day, with a generous amount of Greek yogurt in it. I put a bit of greek yogurt in the eggs too, unless I hard boil them when I'm lazy.

Seriously, if you have low energy in the morning, try going high protein and avoid breads and sweet stuff.

Edit: I do like Oat Milk a lot too. It is creamier, but almond milk is cheaper and I really like it. I'm not lactose intolerant but just like the alternates better to drink. Milk does have much higher protein though. And yes, Oatly here, but usually go with the generic store brands which I've found just as good. One problem though with these nut milks is that they contain gums for binding, which concerns me. You can get pure almond milks, which you have to shake well before use - it is quite fantastic really but much more expensive and I use a ton of almond milk.

Last edited:
  • A mug of cafe au lait
My preferred way of drinking coffee!!! But it is a pain to get. I belong to the sip club at Panera (fantastic deal) but they don't really do that. Starbucks calls it a Misto cause they have to have their own names for everything :D. Peets calls it what it is, and is better anyway. So I get it as a treat once in a while, or when in Europe.

I am missing the option "I don't believe in breakfast".

20 extra minutes of sleep are more important.

Coffee with some dairy (milk, cream, half-and-half) is the only staple.

I don't really cook breakfast and I don't really go out for sit-down breakfasts, either, so it's either something I can make quickly at home or something I can get from a cafe or a take-out. Hot cereal, cold cereal, a burrito, or something from a bakery (muffin, scone, croissant), a cup of yogurt or a piece of fruit are common. Less commonly, a breakfast sandwich (sausage & egg, probably), an empanada, dim sum or congee, if the places I can get those are on my way somewhere.

This morning, an egg & green chili microwave burrito. Yesterday, a banana.

Top Bottom