[BtS] "Mars, Now!"

Its been awhile since I've tried this mod. I had the Mars v02 version. I've just downloaded the 04 version. I really liked the intro movie. I love the Mars colonization concept and huge kuddos to the work you've done on this mod! :goodjob:

One question: is it fairly easy to change the names of the leaders and factions in this mod? I'm a huge fan of Kim Stanley Robinson's 'Red Mars' series and wanted to use those factions and names.
thanks! :thumbsup:

I followed a link in a post a little up the thread from here.

It's OK, but I'm putting out a standing request, as a favor: does anyone else have a copy of the mod for a Mac that they know is working properly? Could we work out some kind of wacky "I send you this big file" thing?

I don't think any version has been compatible with Macs, sorry :(.

Its been awhile since I've tried this mod. I had the Mars v02 version. I've just downloaded the 04 version. I really liked the intro movie. I love the Mars colonization concept and huge kuddos to the work you've done on this mod! :goodjob:

One question: is it fairly easy to change the names of the leaders and factions in this mod? I'm a huge fan of Kim Stanley Robinson's 'Red Mars' series and wanted to use those factions and names.
thanks! :thumbsup:

Changing the text itself is not a problem, but my organization was a bit (understatement) of a mess, so not everything might be easy to find.
The names should be in Assets\XML\Text\CIV4GameTextInfos_Objects.xml, and you have to search for the ingame names to find them. You'll get entries like this:

Spoiler :
PHP:
	<TEXT>
		<Tag>TXT_KEY_LEADER_WASHINGTON</Tag>
		<English>Peter McCain</English>
		<French>
			<Text>Peter McCain</Text>
			<Gender>Male</Gender>
			<Plural>0</Plural>
		</French>
		<German>
			<Gender>Male</Gender>
			<Plural>0</Plural>
		</German>
		<Italian>
			<Gender>Male</Gender>
			<Plural>0</Plural>
		</Italian>
		<Spanish>
			<Gender>Male</Gender>
			<Plural>0</Plural>
		</Spanish>
	</TEXT>

Just change the instances of "Peter McCain" to whatever you like (but leave the TXT_KEY_LEADER_WASHINGTON alone, it has to be like that; yes, messy, I know :/ )

I liked this mod. There have never been enough sci-fi mods for Civ 4, let alone ones which had this level of effort put into them. (The corpses of half-finished mods are everywhere!) I see on the OP that development is paused, but I really hope it keeps going.

Sadly, I do have one complaint to make. Mind you, I haven't played all the way to a victory yet, but so far a lot of the flavor/civpedia text is really awkward. The parts that were attributed to a specific author weren't that bad (so it's not like I'm calling anyone out here), but overall, there were a lot of errors or just things phrased very awkwardly. It keeps breaking immersion.

I hope I'm not being arrogant by making such an offer, but I actually wouldn't mind rewriting those parts for you. I used to be a copyeditor, and would love to help polish a big mod like this. If development is paused, however, I'd understand if you told me to get lost.

I feel kind of offended about your Civilopedia comments...

I meant no offense, and I apologize if you took it personally... I was trying to be constructive.

And I did mean what I said in that the stuff attributed to specific people wasn't part of the problem. If it makes you feel better, I actually was thinking of you when I wrote that - I recall seeing your name when I was looking through the text files!

No problem, bro :) What got me was when you said they weren't that bad, so I kind of assumed they were still bad. In all honesty, I was working on further entries when I moved from Lima, but haven't played the mod since getting a Mac...

No problem, bro :) What got me was when you said they weren't that bad, so I kind of assumed they were still bad.
Yeah, looking back on that, I could kick myself. I meant that in a teasing way, of course, but I forget that how easily stuff like that can get misread on the Internet (and how I'm not exactly known around here yet).

Just in case anyone else from the mod is looking in, I totally wasn't trying to start a war or anything. I meant my post in the spirit of "I liked it, but there's this one part of the mod that could use a little polishing. I'm volunteering to help, if you'd have me."

I feel kind of offended about your Civilopedia comments...

Hey, your parts are not the problem ;).

-> Everything where no name is mentioned should be my text (unless I forgot somebody, then I'm sorry). I know my style can be a bit strange (heard that from multiple persons :mischief:), and since I'm also not a native speaker, I don't really feel offended :).

If you're keen of rewriting something, then feel free to do so :).
When some texts are then done, I'd not see a problem into packing them into another patch :).

If you're keen of rewriting something, then feel free to do so :).
When some texts are then done, I'd not see a problem into packing them into another patch :).
Thanks. (And for a non-native speaker, your English is actually pretty good. Certainly better than MY French...)

How do you want me to handle this, anyway? Should I just send edited text to you in a plain text file, or should I modify the mod's asset/xml/text files directly (it's a little disorganized in there, but I can find my way around) and send you those? Or is there some other system in place? (I know some mod teams use more sophisticated means of collaboration...)

The way I did it was just let him know that I was working on it, and then sent him a Google Doc with my entries. I'd have kept it up if it weren't for the fact that I didn't have my notebook for a year and Mars Now! doesn't work on my Mac. My old PC isn't exactly playing anything nowadays, either :(

I'm willing to type civilopedias for the mod if you still need any.

Perhaps just as well. Not long after I started posting in this thread (offering my own help), my computer was killed by an electrical surge (despite having a surge protector!), and I lost my momentum. I felt bad about that...

Really good mod an one of the best i had play.it is very complete and work really well.one of the best sci fi mods for civ 4.the only downside is that is unbalanced,specially the civilitations uu and leaders traits.the first game i play(has mars colonist)i was in a constant war with usa and i did lose.the second game i play has africa an i was able to do much more cities an win the game.also one of the sudamerican leaders have two traits,making him a much better leader than the other leader

So my suggestion is:that every civilitation has a unique trait.for example european leaders earn more money or russia get load of resources from the star.this will also make games much more fun

My other suggestion is that every civilitation has 1 uu and 1ub or 2 uu(like civ 5)obiously this can change to two uu an 1 ub each civilitation.my suggestion for uu:

Runner(uu of jail)replace mercenary.it have more movement (2) and has a bonus vs infantery.this will look like a prisioner/hobo only that with big guns :)
Scrap tank(uu of jail)replace tank.appear earlier and cheaper,but it is weaker
Freedom figther(uu of mars col.)replace light infantery .a little more stronger and have a bonus defending city.maybe like the rebel soldiers in red faction?
Royal guard (uu of the arabs)replace elite infantery.get a big bonus defending cities
Etc

Ps:why a hot air ballon is much stronger than bombers?is seem strange that the Airship is the ultimate unit.also a new unit for robot society would be coold
Ps2:don't think that the civpedia is bad,only incomplete

Anways great mod ;)

The_J has already said that no more work will be done on this mod in the forseeable future, so I'm afraid you may not see these implemented. However, if someone takes it up with The_J's permission, then you should submit these to him or her.

patch e leads to an error code

how might i make the androids playable?

Top Bottom