[BTS] *New* Confederate States of America [Modular]

Thanks, Ekmek, for your great work. Now just do Stonewall and the mod will be complete!

what in game leader does stonewall look like? more specifically who's head is haped like his (addinga suit and beard is easy). I assume he has dark brown hair?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stonewall_Jackson

also did you ever get the new skin fo the cotton exchange. i made it red brick

I would think the most Unique Unit for the Confederacy would be it's cavalry, not it's riflemen.

It's well documented Confederate Cavalry was (on the whole) superior to it's Union counterpart... but Rebel Infantry wasn't really anything special over Union infantry.

The "Stonewall Brigade"... was just that... one small unit/brigade... not the whole Confederate Army (which is what your UU turns it into). I'd say improve the Confederate Cavalry across the board with the UU, not the entire Rebel Army (naming all of them after one brigade).

My 2-cents.

Instead, I chose to adopt an infantry unit with increased mobility, which I think is a fair representation of Confederate infantry throughout the war. Not a perfect fit perhaps, but I thought extra-mobile infantry to be a better fit than extra-powerful cavalry.
I can't agree with that... you say Confederate Cavalry were better but faded, but there's really no historical documentation to say the Rebel Army was better man for man then the Union army all war long... in fact, it was often much more poorly equiped, provisioned and trained then it's Union counterpart... oh sure... one or two brigades here or there may have been well above average, but on the whole, the Rebel Army was no-where near as well trained or equiped as the Union Army was...

However, the opposite is the case... almost the entire Confederate Cavalry definately held a significant edge over the Union Cavalry for a long part of the war, and even in the end, were at least equal, where-as the same cannot be said for the Rebel Army.

I can't fathom you stating the Confederate Cavalry wasn't significantly better enough to gain the UU, where-as you give it to the entire Rebel Army when there's even less to base that on then there is the Cavalry.

In any event, I considered a mounted UU for my mod but decided against it. My thinking was this: Mounted units essentially all share one unique attribute - mobility. And there already are 9 mounted UUs in the game. So if you add yet another mounted unit, how do you distinguish it from all the others?

What advantages would you give a Confederate mounted UU that would make it truly useful and interesting? I considered a cavalry unit with increased firepower, but that really stretches history - Union cavalry actually had a consistent firepower advantage over the Rebs. So what else do you give a Confederate unit that would be reasonably historical and make the unit really interesting?
Once again, I don't see where you're getting your justification from... you can't fathom what would make Confederate Cavalry stand-out, yet you have no problem making rebel infantry stand-out... you could very well give better strength, or promotions, or better flanking, or any number of things to a cavalry unit to make it stand out... the options are just as good if not better then a joe-blow infantry unit in what you can do to make it stand out as a UU... you seem to say you didn't give it to Cavalry because there's no way to make it stand out, yet you gave the decidedly average Rebel Army a UU, based on one brigade and spread it to the entire Rebel Army.

Just doesn't make sense.

You seem to be giving the Chewbacca defense on why you went with improving the entire Rebel Army instead of giving the nod to the well-documented superiority of the Confederate Cavalry... which could just as easily be improved as it was for the riflemen.

In regard to a Cavalry UU

John Singleton Mosby (December 6, 1833 – May 30, 1916) also known as the "Gray Ghost," was a regular Confederate cavalry battalion commander in the American Civil War. His battalion, the 43rd Battalion Virginia Cavalry was noted for its lightning quick raids, partisan or ranger-like tactics and his ability to successfully elude his Union Army pursuers and disappear with his men, blending in with local farmers and townspeople.

Really not much of a switch from the created Stonewall Brigrade except you make it Cavalry with ignore terrrain and give them the LeMat shotgun pistol.
There are also the Ironclads that could be a UU.
It is a strong mod at any event, however i still think that Protective and Organized might be better for Davis's traits.

How about starting CSA cavalry with enhanced scouting ability? (Can't remember the name of the promotion)
Stuart's men really gave Lee an advantage because they were such great scouts. When Stuart was off joy-riding before Gettysburg, Lee was greatly handicapped.
I love playing the mod as-is, but if you were to do a cavalry UU, this is a thought.

I campaigned hard for a Confederate Cavalry UU... he seems adamant about making the UU a Rifleman based and named after one brigade in the entire Confederate Army. There's so much documentation that Confederate Cavalry across the board were of very high quality, but he doesn't want to do that... if you want a Cavalry UU for the Confederacy, you'll just have to modify it yourself on your end... which is fairly easy to do.

Top Bottom