Bug and Blue Marble

Sabertooth

Warlord
To start from the beginning: I saw that 3.17 was out, so I rushed to install it. Unfortunately, I had Bug 2.11 installed at the time as well, and this led to some irritating text-message errors on various screens. So I decided to back up and try the whole thing from scratch.

After a few false starts I finally manage to reinstall the whole game from the beginning, all the way up to BTS 3.17 and the latest Bug. But I made one final mistake: I failed to reinstall Blue Marble a second time for BTS. In other words: I reinstalled Civ IV, updated, installed BTS, updated, installed Blue Marble (once), and then installed the latest Bug (as a mod). When I saw that Blue Marble wasn't working with Bug, I went back and discovered 1) Blue Marble has to be installed a second time for BTS, and 2) one should install Blue marble prior to Bug: but I tried to reinstall it again anyway. Didn't help.

Now I get Blue marble when I play Civ IV vanilla or BTS, but if I load Bug, Blue marble disappears.

Can somebody out there help me fix this? I can't even find any instructions for uninstalling Bug.

try playing bug as an own mod, then you can simply move the blue marble files to that folder and you will have blue marble style everytime you are playing the BUG mod.

Well, BlueMarble is a Mod that sits entirely in the Custom Assets folder. If you install BlueMarble after BUG it works just fine as long as you don't play with Custom Assets locked. Have you tried clearing the cache (holding down Shift while loading up Civ4) ? Sometimes it just needs a fresh cache for BlueMarble to show up.

no, you don't understand. you may not install blue marble. unzip it and put the files in your mod directory (right folders).

Installation order does not matter.

You may install BlueMarble to CustomAssets (using the installer) or to BUG (using Cybah's note). Doesn't matter.

Since you installed BUG as a mod, you need to tell it not to ignore custom art.

Open "Mods/BUG Mod 3.0/BUG Mod 3.0.ini" and change this option from 1 to 0:

Code:
; Custom Art from user folder is not loaded
NoCustomArt = [B]0[/B]

In the future, this will default to 0 for all the BM players.

Okay, hang on.

The "how-to" for installing Bug as a mod specifically instructs one to rename the Custom Assets folder "Custom Assets Old" before continuing with the installation. So in my My Documents/My Games/Beyond the Sword folder I have both the original Custom Assets folder (now named "Custom Assets Old") and a second Custom Assets folder which was installed with Bug.

I've tried EmperorFool's suggestion. No effect. I tried loading BTS while holding down shift. No effect. My version of Blue Marble is self extracting, so I can't just move the necessary files manually.

The clue here is that when I load BTS without Bug, BM works fine. So BM is installed and working. It almost has to be installed in the current Custom Assets folder doesn't it? I don't under stand how the game works well enough to figure out what I'm doing wrong.

Other suggestions? Could I try reinstalling Bug again?

I'm a little confused. Can you please verify that you did all these and in this order?

1. You installed BlueMarble using its installer. Yes, it must go into CustomAssets

2. You renamed CustomAssets to CustomAssetsOld. This should have made BlueMarble unavailable.

3. You installed BUG as a mod: using the EXE, you selected "in Mods folder"?

4. You changed BUG Mod.ini's "No Custom Art" setting to 0?

If all that's right, BM should never work, and BUG Mod should work. You have the latter, but BM works without BUG. I'm missing a step that you did.

Given that BM works by itself, you can install BUG to CustomAssets and it should work with BM immediately with no more futzing around.

BTW, don't worry about hurting the CustomAssets folder as you can always delete it and restart Civ. It starts empty when you install Civ, and Civ merely creates a set of empty folders if it doesn't exist each time it starts up.

Well, to reiterate: if I load BTS without Bug, Blue Marble works fine. If I load Bug (which I usually do as a default), Blue Marble disappears.

I think I did things in the order you described above, but that was several weeks ago. I might have installed everything else and run Blue Marble last. I do know that I've tried reinstalling BM a couple of times as a first-gap measure when I saw that it wasn't working with Bug.

But basically, you're correct. I renamed Custom Assets; using the .exe I selected "in Mods folder." I installed. That was a couple of weeks ago. Then, this morning, following your instructions above, modified Bug Mod's .ini, changing the value for "No Custom Art" from 1 to 0. (I'm double checking as I write this).

No effect.

I'll tell you, my previous installation of Bug (2.11) was just a direct install. But I can't find any instructions regarding how to uninstall previous versions, and I simply don't play Civ without Bug. I want to keep up with the latest versions, so I figured it would be easiest to install it as a mod, so that I can uninstall previous versions if necessary to keep up with the latest stuff.

I see they're working on a whip counter, and if anyone needs a whip counter, then it's me. I suck at math.

By the way: thanks very much for taking out the time to help me with this.

Well, to reiterate: if I load BTS without Bug, Blue Marble works fine. If I load Bug (which I usually do as a default), Blue Marble disappears.

We're on the same page here; I just don't see how it's possible. . . .

Okay, I'm totally confused. I just loaded up BUG as a mod and didn't see BM. I had to turn off the No Custom Assets as well, but AFAIK that setting is for Python and XML only. Guess I was wrong.

Code:
; Custom XML and Python from user folder are not loaded
NoCustomAssets = [B]0[/B]

So you can turn off custom art without turning off custom Python, but you cannot turn off custom Python without also turning off custom art. That makes no sense. :mad:

I really hope changing that setting works for you. If not, I say install BUG to CustomAssets since you always play with it. First, you can always uninstall it by deleting CustomAssets. Second, starting with 3.0, BUG comes with an uninstaller. Actually, I think you can uninstall even the old versions using the Control Panel's Add/Remove Software tool.

HALLELUJAH! It worked!

Thanks kindly, Emperor.

I'm sure I don't understand why it doesn't make sense, but I say -- if it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Thanks again.

Both of my settings are set to 0, and i still can't get both to work together, but I do get blue marble if i unload BUG :(

Both of my settings are set to 0, and i still can't get both to work together, but I do get blue marble if i unload BUG :(

Please post the standard information:

• BTS version
  • BUG version
  • BUG installer (exe), zip archive or direct from SVN
  • Installed BUG as a mod or in CustomAssets
  • Where are you changing those settings to 0? What file, in what directory?

I will try and post as much information as I can-

BTS version 3.17 (Official patch)

BUG version: In game, Advanced -> About, the version of BUG is listed as 1.0

BUG Installer: The file I used to install it was BATMod_10.exe in the installer I have the option to install it for 3.17 and to load mod on startup, it does not give a version of the BAT in the file name.

Mod vs CustomAsset, to be honest I am not sure, how do I tell?

And the values I changed to 0 were in the file:
C:\Users\naveed\Documents\My Games\Beyond the Sword\BUG Mod\BUG mod.ini
the values were in the NoCustomArt and NoCustomAssets fields.

The file I used to install it was BATMod_10.exe.

BAT includes BUG already, so there's no need to install them both, but it causes no harm either.

Mod vs CustomAsset, to be honest I am not sure, how do I tell?

BAT only installs as a mod. With BUG you have a choice.

...\BUG Mod\BUG mod.ini

To affect BAT, make the same changes to

...\BAT Mod 1.0\BAT Mod 1.0.ini​

and you should be able to use BlueMarble with BAT.

There is a new graphics mod out - similar to blue marble. It is called 'Improved Graphics'. BUG and Improved Graphics don't share any files so the two mods can be combined by a straight file-copy.

However, Blue Marble and Improved Graphics do share files - so cannot be combined. It will have to be one or the other ... not both.

Top Bottom