Linux Python Bug on End Turn?

GlasgowGeek

Chieftain
I don't want to report this as a bug in the mod, yet, as I'm running Linux, so maybe the Python implementation is different, or I've not installed something.

On ending a turn sometimes, I get an immediate CTD, no error. The longer the game time, the more likely it is to happen.

I think i've narrowed it down to ships carrying out the "Go to Europe" order. Disabling storms made no difference.

If I manually send ships to a visible sea lane, and then send to Europe, there is no crash.

Anyone else getting the same issue?

Is this with 4.1 version? CivCol4 has it's own internal Python version that run inside wine so there's no connection to any Linux Python version.

Now I haven't had any really long games with 4.1 yet. However so far it has been very stable on my Linux system.

Do you have any saved game that can be used to repeat the crash?

Is this with 4.1 version? CivCol4 has it's own internal Python version that run inside wine so there's no connection to any Linux Python version.

Now I haven't had any really long games with 4.1 yet. However so far it has been very stable on my Linux system.

Do you have any saved game that can be used to repeat the crash?
Yep, it's been since V3.x and still present. I'll make a couple of saves without the random seed on reload.

EDIT: OK, I made a few saves, but on starting the game and loading the saves, the crash seldom happens. I am guessing it is something that is calculated and occurs right after the end turn is triggered, as it is almost an immediate CTD.

I seem to remember on 3.x there were occasional ships that seemed to cause it. If I loaded Worldbuilder and erased a certain ship, then ended the turn, it would work again, until the next time it happened. But that was a good few months ago, and my memory of it is fuzzy.

Last edited:
Yep, it's been since V3.x and still present. I'll make a couple of saves without the random seed on reload.
Could it be that you somehow run out of memory?
It's a 32 bit application and wine has a known memory overhead. In general the game doesn't verify that it allocates memory when it tries to do so meaning out of memory can easily show as NULL pointer exception, which generally isn't caught, which in turn will cause CTD.
I can try tracking mem use while i play it, and see what it does. I could also try a generic 4GB patch: https://ntcore.com/?page_id=371 if it's not already patched into the mod somehow anyway?

There's 16GB in both laptop and desktop, so plenty spare.

I could also try a generic 4GB patch: https://ntcore.com/?page_id=371 if it's not already patched into the mod somehow anyway?
You need to patch the exe file. However both steam and GOG versions are prepatched. Also if the game isn't using 4 GB of memory space, then you will get an error message at startup. I added that error in.... 4.0 I think.

Top Bottom