BUG Options button in the top left corner... how do I turn it OFF?

AveiMil

Prince
Hello,

Love BUG but how do I turn off the new BUG Options button in the top left corner?

Occasionally I misclick the +100% button for the slider and hit the BUG Options button, which is very annoying, especially in multiplayer! How can I turn it off?

Yeah... I'm not going to do that :p

I'll just wait for the next version and cross my fingers that it'll be possible to toggle it on and off then or that its placed in a better spot!

I'll link it to the flashing BUG Options 'end of turn' text.

I'll link it to the flashing BUG Options 'end of turn' text.
What do you mean by this? I hope you don't mean you'll have the options menu button automatically disapear because you check out the UI options window, that doesn't make sense. The whole point of the button is to have an onscreen easy to find way to access the BUG options, at any time, without needing to remember the shortcut. If it's too close to the tax sliders, just move it to a different spot on the screen.

that was what I was thinking ... I might just add another option.

The options button overlaps the + button, which is incredibly annoying when I click the + button and the options menu pops up.

Please move the options button layer behind the + button layer.

The options button overlaps the + button, which is incredibly annoying when I click the + button and the options menu pops up.
Are you playing at a lower resolution? My options button is above and to the left of the + button, not being close to one another at all. I'm running at 1280x1024.

Are you playing at a lower resolution? My options button is above and to the left of the + button, not being close to one another at all. I'm running at 1280x1024.

I'm also 1280x1024. There is invisible overlap anyway.

I'm at 1900x1080 and I notice theres very little room for error when clicking the +, pressing the BUG Options button by mistake happends every single game.

that was what I was thinking ... I might just add another option.

Except this doesn't address the problem. Everyone is complaining about the placement of the button, not having the mouse clickable access to the BUG options menu. And alot of people want that button. This is like putting your roomate's cat's litterbox in front of a door, and then using the fact people complain about where the litterbox is as an excuse to get rid of the cat. Just move the position of the button Ruff.

This is like putting your roomate's cat's litterbox in front of a door, and then using the fact people complain about where the litterbox is as an excuse to get rid of the cat.

Priceless!! :lol: I'll have to remember this at my next dev meeting.

This is what I did ...
  • added an option to the system tab to show or hide the BUG Option button
  • moved both the BUG Option button and the log button slightly left
  • commented out the 'movetofront' parts of the code for BUG Option Button
  • stuck a cork up the cats butt so it wouldn't go to the toilet anymore

I could not replicate the issue of where you clicked on the '+' button for science and it opened the BUG Option tab. I actually had to move my mouse off the '+' button (these buttons are hot so they glow if you hover over them). Also remember, that the advisor buttons' footprint (and this includes the BUG Option button) is actually square (the image is round) so you can activate it even though it looks like you are clicking on free space.

Requiring a user to remember a shortcut key to access the options is not user friendly. The difficulty in doing so is irrelevant. Anyway I'm just happy Ruff added this, it's been a much needed feature for a while now, so thanks Ruff. It just threw me and was a bit confusing when I saw he was going to have BUG automatically remove it once a user looked at the options, which would defeat the whole purpose of having the button in the first place.

I am not sure that amateur modifications of the original game have to be as user friendly as the game itself. I appreciate the hard work done by the BUG team, but I appreciate the recipe for turning the button off much more.

Being a user made hobby mod means the BUG devs don't have to do anything, doesn't change the fact the mod improves if it's more accessible to more users. Again your point is irrelevant. What is relevant is that this is an enhancement to the UI, and forcing new users to remember a multi key shortcut to access the options was a defect in an otherwise nearly flawless UI. This is why I kept harping on this over, and over again.

BUG is very good, and while nothing is perfect, BUG's only flaw was that fact it forced new and casual users to remember a multiple key shortcut. That's fixed now, and there are n major flaws I know of in BUG thanks to that. I understand the fact you, klaidonis, are OK with remembering multiple shortcuts to access things in your game of civ; but not all users are. That's why BUG has an installer, even though it's easy to just extract a file and put it in the right folder. Many users are casual about their civ gaming and wol't remember what key strokes do what from week to week. It's these casual players that the new BUG options button is designed for, and it was a needed addition because of them; again having it automatically disappear would defeat the whole purpose. Anyway it's fixed now where everyone can be happy, it just irks me you think it's necessary to bring up the fact that it's easy to memorize multiple key shortcuts just because you have; it's not easy, and many if not most players don't do that.

The first time you install BUG will tell you how to access the options then you play with them, then you normally rarely touch them again.
And you already have to remember Ctrl+Shift+G to regenerate maps, and that is only if you can even find out about that one, it's not like BUG ever tells you.

Move the botton, and make it a bit more obvious that it's a BUG button. I recommend something like these for the icon art:

And you already have to remember Ctrl+Shift+G to regenerate maps, and that is only if you can even find out about that one, it's not like BUG ever tells you.

I'll get to that stuff eventually. Other things have been a higher priority so far.

I recommend something like these for the icon art:

Those might be a bit small, don't you think? :p

Top Bottom