BUG Options button in the top left corner... how do I turn it OFF?

You're too fast, ruff. I updated the button art after I noticed how crappy it looks with compression, plus the antennas reaching the button boarders looks bad with dark background (you have light green s it's ok) but didn't upload anything yet - and I just now noticed how much brighter the button itself is compared to the one to the left. I used the "show production" city interface button as base, which just is that bright. I can't even find the art for that event/turn log button though :(

Anyway, I tried again, I hope this one looks better.

edit:

Sorry, insert where exactly?

Btw, that option button will never look like the button right next to it if you don't treat it the same way.

Code:
		# Turn log Button
		screen.setImageButton( "TurnLogButton", "", iBtnX, iBtnY - 2, iBtnWidth, iBtnWidth, WidgetTypes.WIDGET_ACTION, gc.getControlInfo(ControlTypes.CONTROL_TURN_LOG).getActionInfoIndex(), -1 )
		screen.setStyle( "TurnLogButton", "Button_HUDLog_Style" )
		screen.hide( "TurnLogButton" )
vs
Code:
		sBUGOptionsScreenButton = ArtFileMgr.getInterfaceArtInfo("BUG_OPTIONS_SCREEN_BUTTON").getPath()
		screen.setImageButton("BUGOptionsScreenWidget", sBUGOptionsScreenButton,  iBtnX + 30, iBtnY - 2, iBtnWidth, iBtnWidth, WidgetTypes.WIDGET_BUG_OPTION_SCREEN, -1, -1)
		screen.hide("BUGOptionsScreenWidget")

There is no setStyle, and I'd guess that is why the bug options button can never behave like the turn log button or any advisor button, which all get brighter on hover and get that shadow on click, for the "3D" look and behaviour.

That's what EF was talking about before, in another thread. He's not been able to codify a way of modifying the core BtS style from CustomAssets. If BUG was mod-only, it wouldn't be an issue, but we can't ditch a core of users just for some fancy buttons.

And I just wondered if you could replace the ladybird one with the mantis one from earlier in the thread. I've misplaced my disk... :/

Couldn't you add the button to the GameFonts.tga file and load it as an icon to solve the issues you guys are having with it's appearance? Also voting for Ladybug over the mantis, think it looks better; but it might be best to give NikNaks what he wants cause he does make alot of awesome buttons and at the end of the day it's not that big of a deal if the button is a ladybug or a mantis head.

No, GameFonts wouldn't solve anything, loading an image without any background into the maininterface works without such tricks but that won't get me a button like the others (it looks interesting too though ;) ).
I couldn't even find out how it would work at all or find out where the styles are defined or even just find the art for the unpressed, pressed and hovered over empty button, let alone make it work for BUG and whatever special needs it has.. python is evil

All those Civ4 buttons are handled in the theme. Check out BTS\Themes\Resources or something like that. There are text files that control the themes and artwork for the styles. All the panel styles and buttons are handled this way.

Yes, that folder is in the root BTS folder where the EXE is located. :( A mod can provide its own styles (AFAICT it must provide the entire style, copying everything it doesn't modify), but you cannot do this from CustomAssets. :cry:

In that case why don't you just put it into the main BTS folder\Themes\Resources (when BUg is installed to CustomAssets at least)? If it's a seperate file it shouldn't hurt anyone there.

Technically, it's not that big of a deal. The only sticky issue is that I would have to modify the user's top-level Civ4Theme.thm file to add an include of BUG's theme file. Given all the problems doing most things in Civ4 (it looks easy at first and then you find all sorts of problems once it goes live in the field), I'm hesitant to do that.

1. We'll need to deal with write permission issues on Vista/Win7.
2. We'll need to make sure we can undo the change on uninstallation.
3. BlueMarble changes the same file IIRC, making 2 a little dicier.

The payoff would be great, though, so it's definitely worth it. So it's high in the priority queue, but still below other things like auto-loading of mod configurations so modders no longer have to modify init.xml, and a few other things.

If someone wants to tackle this, I'm all for it! The theme code itself is a no-brainer, and I've had that working from the beginning. I'd just need to add new buttons for the new features we've added since.

Couldn't you add the button to the GameFonts.tga file and load it as an icon to solve the issues you guys are having with it's appearance? Also voting for Ladybug over the mantis, think it looks better; but it might be best to give NikNaks what he wants cause he does make alot of awesome buttons and at the end of the day it's not that big of a deal if the button is a ladybug or a mantis head.
Hey, it was EF's idea to go with the Mantis. :p It was meant to be for an identity drive with new icons that we just never got round to, it seems. I just draw the things. ;)

Too many other things came up (BUFFY for one) and I didn't get around to it. Plus I wanted to include the BUG team in changing any icons. My main reason for changing BUG's icon is that it doesn't match BULL or BAT at all. Those are faces whereas BUG is a top-down view. I do like that old icon, though.

Sorry, insert where exactly?

Btw, that option button will never look like the button right next to it if you don't treat it the same way.

Code:
		# Turn log Button
		screen.setImageButton( "TurnLogButton", "", iBtnX, iBtnY - 2, iBtnWidth, iBtnWidth, WidgetTypes.WIDGET_ACTION, gc.getControlInfo(ControlTypes.CONTROL_TURN_LOG).getActionInfoIndex(), -1 )
		screen.setStyle( "TurnLogButton", "Button_HUDLog_Style" )
		screen.hide( "TurnLogButton" )
vs
Code:
		sBUGOptionsScreenButton = ArtFileMgr.getInterfaceArtInfo("BUG_OPTIONS_SCREEN_BUTTON").getPath()
		screen.setImageButton("BUGOptionsScreenWidget", sBUGOptionsScreenButton,  iBtnX + 30, iBtnY - 2, iBtnWidth, iBtnWidth, WidgetTypes.WIDGET_BUG_OPTION_SCREEN, -1, -1)
		screen.hide("BUGOptionsScreenWidget")

There is no setStyle, and I'd guess that is why the bug options button can never behave like the turn log button or any advisor button, which all get brighter on hover and get that shadow on click, for the "3D" look and behaviour.

Sure - we can and should do that. Just need a highlighted BUG Option button (see insert in pic below).

I was going to show all three (old install bug, new install bug, praying mantis) but I cannot find the praying mantis button). NN - post a suitable dds file and I will throw it up so that users can give some feedback re preferences.

While we are covering this ... didn't we have a BUG background for the charts that you created - what ever happened to that?

BTW, post images using PNG files instead of JPEG. They will look exactly as they will appear to users rather than blurry images. I think NN said he put the Mantis icon into the BEAST repository. All I can see is the SVG of it though.

Here you go ... here is an option with the Mantis ... so - which one do we want to use?

The mantis. The lady bug looks too much like the Weatherbug app or whatever that thing is called.

@NikNaks - Could we get a button background that is the same size as the Globe View button in the bottom-right (just above the minimap)? It would also fit the Mantis icon better and allow a bigger ladybug icon.

I hate bug option it consumes half the screen rewriting "Bug option error cannot find blahblahblah"
After everyturn
F@$%in Annoying

FAIL

Top Bottom