Bug Reporting

Shigga, this has been addressed before. You have to make sure the bug.ini file is contained inside the BTS folder. It should have already done that with the setup, unless you changed the install directory during setup. Make sure BUGMOD.INI is inside the root BTS folder within your My Documents.

Hi, and thank you. I checked and double checked. I did not change the install directory and the file is where it is supposed to be. Very strange. Perhaps b/c I don't use Blue Marble? I don't see how this could be a factor, but still...

I tried this mod the other night and had the same problem that I had when I first tried Ruff_Hi's unaltered mod a while back. When I open the options screen and make changes I can't close/exit the screen and have to forcequit the Civ application.

I think I got this fixed with the previous mod but I don't remember how -- I'd rather not uninstall/reinstall unless I have to or unless it's known to work.

Any ideas?

Oh - I should note that I installed BUG as a Mod, not as the civ default. I also have successfully used 10+ mods in the past so I don't think I did anything stupid. Thirdly - I cleared my cache before at least one of my attemps.

H - E - L - P

@Mahatmajon - The other option is to move the "BUG Mod.ini" file from the mods folder to your "My Games\BtS" folder. Sorry for the trouble.

If you install BUG as a mod and put BUG.ini in the mods folder, when you press control-alt-o it is impossible to close the options screen, or even close Civ4 without the Windows Task Manager.

Also, if you put the CustomDomAdv in the mods folder, it's not read.

The mod install could use more detailed instructions.

@Mahatmajon - The other option is to move the "BUG Mod.ini" file from the mods folder to your "My Games\BtS" folder. Sorry for the trouble.

I can confirm that this procedure does work perfectly fine for those that have done the following / have the following problem:

* Installed BUG as a mod instead of overwriting the CustomAssets folder - i.e. installed into the BtS\MODS\BUG folder and then renamed the BUG CustomAssets folder to just "Assets".
* Found that once in a game, they use CTRL+ALT+O to open the options and then cannot close the window.

As has been quoted, simply move (or even copy as I did) the BUG Mod.ini file into your x:\documents and settings\<username>\My Documents\My Games\Beyond the Sword\ folder.

Note: x: is used to signify any drive - depends where you installed Windows.

I hope this helps! :)

- Sadan01

I tried this mod the other night and had the same problem that I had when I first tried Ruff_Hi's unaltered mod a while back. When I open the options screen and make changes I can't close/exit the screen and have to forcequit the Civ application.

I think I got this fixed with the previous mod but I don't remember how -- I'd rather not uninstall/reinstall unless I have to or unless it's known to work.

Any ideas?

Oh - I should note that I installed BUG as a Mod, not as the civ default. I also have successfully used 10+ mods in the past so I don't think I did anything stupid. Thirdly - I cleared my cache before at least one of my attemps.

H - E - L - P

The problem you are experiencing relates to Windows security and the Firaxis implementation of that and not to the BUG mod. The default security settings for the Mods folder in the executable path C:\Program Files\Firaxis...... etc. do not allow the user to write to any of the files in those folders. Changing the security setting to allow the user Full Control of those folders removes the problem. Those restrictions do not apply to the My Games path to the BUG.ini file.

The problem you are experiencing relates to Windows security and the Firaxis implementation of that and not to the BUG mod. The default security settings for the Mods folder in the executable path C:\Program Files\Firaxis...... etc. do not allow the user to write to any of the files in those folders. Changing the security setting to allow the user Full Control of those folders removes the problem. Those restrictions do not apply to the My Games path to the BUG.ini file.
Thanks for the feedback and help with this Bede. Just a question for the windows challenged out there, how do you change user access rights for those folders?

Sorry for not answering before!

Tomorrow(no time today), I will try to reproduce this bug. Although it was right before 3.13 if I am not wrong. Myabe it is fixed, who knows...

And yes, the game was started with BUG.

Thanks for the feedback and help with this Bede. Just a question for the windows challenged out there, how do you change user access rights for those folders?

In general it is best to use BUG's recommended My Games path.

But for those who want to use it as a MOD: To change the security settings migrate to the folder containing BUG.ini, right click, select Properties, then select the Security tab. Then edit the settings for the appropriate user.

Thanks, moving Bug Mod.ini to "My Games\BtS" does fix the ctrl-alt-o problem. Perhaps this should be added to the docs.

Also, I don't think this is a Windows security issue, because I put the mod in My Games\BtS\MODS -- not Program Files -- so I think the security should be the same.

Finally, I'm a bit confused by Bug Mod.ini vs. Bug.ini. The instructions say to install into Mods\BUG, which I did. This causes Civ to create Bug.ini, which has different content than Bug Mod.ini. Is this right?

Also, the instructions also seem to refer to Bug mod.ini as Bug.ini.

autolog adds excessive CRLF pairs when using HTML formatting. As "\r\n" is prepended to zMsg near the end of writeLog method, there's no need to prepend those when adding <br> tag to the end of the line.

Python still looks funny - maybe I should try using it for something some day :)

autolog adds excessive CRLF pairs when using HTML formatting. As "\r\n" is prepended to zMsg near the end of writeLog method, there's no need to prepend those when adding <br> tag to the end of the line.

Python still looks funny - maybe I should try using it for something some day :)
duh! Ok, thanks, will fix tonight. Edit: svn version fixed.

The reason some people can't close the options screen when they install BUG as a mod is because the Readme has a bug in it.

When installing as a mod, you must name the folder "BUG Mod" to match the INI file.

You can name it something else if you want, but you then must modify the "modName" variable in "Assets/Python/Contrib/ModName.py" to match. It's just easier to call the folder "BUG Mod", though.

I have updated and committed the readme.

@Cammagno - Can you please update the Italian version. I made a bunch of other changes to the readme (some formatting, some wording, some capitalization). It's hard to stop when I get started.

@LudwigII - Would you be so kind as to update the German translation please?

@Anyone who got bit by this - Sorry, and could one of you verify this works for you and post here? If it works. You'll need to move your "BUG Mod.ini" back into the "BUG Mod" folder as well. The game will look in your "My Games" folder first, so make sure it exists in only one place.

@Thornburgh - You provided the key piece of info here, so thanks! :goodjob: Once you posted that a "BUG.ini" file got automagically created by Civ4, I knew that the mod folder must have the wrong name ("BUG" instead of "BUG Mod") because it will create the INI if it doesn't find a matching one.

Of course, had I actually *ever read* the readme, I would have found it sooner. :( My bad. Did I mention that coders are allergic to documentation. :p

Fascinating -- thanks for all of the replies. I'm sure I can get it to work now via some combination of security settings, folder renaming, and/or .ini file moving. I'm not too surprised that it's a MSFT/windoze thing with the multiple installation locations that ends up causing this issue.

@LudwigII - Would you be so kind as to update the German translation please?

The updated readme is up (Commagno should have received a PM)

Good Night, lonesome, docs allergic coder &#8230;

Glad to help. I can confirm that renaming the mod directory to BUG Mod and putting Bug Mod.ini in that folder work correctly.

I should add, however, that the CustomDomAdv folder still must be in the root BTS documents directory. If it is in the Mod directory, CDA won't see it. This should probably also be in the readme.

@Ludwig II - Thanks! BTW, did you want your name to appear at all differently in the credits? If so, just PM me and I'll change it.

saw this recently in an SG ... looks like a bug ...

Bindamel said:
Oh, and I’m starting to see why it’s called BUG!

Hmm - that looks like a bug doesn't it. I'll post it in our bug thread and see what people say.

Attachments

• Rolls-On-Heads BC-0625.CivBeyondSwordSave
    131.6 KB · Views: 69
Top Bottom