Bug Reporting

For logging errors, see CivilizationIV.ini, parameters LoggingEnabled (set to 1) and MessageLog (set to 1). I suggest leaving RandLog to 0 (generates lots of log - only set to 1 when someone knows it's needed). There may be other parameters as well that just aren't present in my ini-file.

Unfortunately, that will capture only Python errors (which are key to be sure, so please enable the logging), and in this case it's probably XML.

Civ4 doesn't give you any idea of the XML error, which is a bummer. You gotta just add in bits of XML until it fails, or remove bits until it works. And as Eunomiac discovered, it doesn't always work at the file level.

</sad-panda>

I've had reports of a non-BUG user's game crashing to desktop when they tried to open the in game message log in an SG they are playing. Other SG players use BUG.

I'll see if I can reproduce and diagnose the issue.

Spoiler link to SG thread where issue occured :

Er, does anyone else get a crash if they click on the logging icon in the top left ? :badcomp:

lurker's comment:
I have encountered a similar problem while playing an SG. It has something to do with the transfer of information from one player using a mod to another player who is not. The problem gets quite annoying as you cannot refer to the log when you missed an announcement

hmmm . . . i wonder if it's through use of the unofficial patch since i'm sure the BUG mod wouldn't affect it, eh? or, at least, it's not supposed to

@ Simon ~ i guess you'll have to try the BUG mod ;)

I haven't seen this issue at all. Have you tried the Alt-Tab method of bring up the log? I guess installing the world famous, glorious and all round generally terrific mod BUG would be a good idea. Not saying that it will have any impact on the error, because, hey, BUG doesn't do this sort of stuff ... no, not our BUG.

I've had reports of a non-BUG user's game crashing to desktop when they tried to open the in game message log in an SG they are playing. Other SG players use BUG.

I'll see if I can reproduce and diagnose the issue.

Spoiler link to SG thread where issue occured :

I haven't seen this issue at all. Have you tried the Alt-Tab method of bring up the log? I guess installing the world famous, glorious and all round generally terrific mod BUG would be a good idea. Not saying that it will have any impact on the error, because, hey, BUG doesn't do this sort of stuff ... no, not our BUG.

I got the exact same thing in the SG Pharaoh. I had to install BUG because of this. You guys! :mad: I am sure you did it on purpose, didn't you? Confess! :lol:

drat ... our world domination plan has come unstuck.

Oh no! :eek: Our viral marketing campaign has been exposed. Quick! Suck out his braaaaaain!!!

@Arlborn - Could you please post the link to the saved game that cause this for you? Thanks!

I can't think of what BUG could do to cause this. We stick stuff in the script data for the game, but if you aren't using a mod that reads that info, it's just ignored. And there's nothing we can do to affect the chat log. I'd love to be able to mod that screen; it'd be the perfect place to list your current reminders.

@Arlborn - Could you please post the link to the saved game that cause this for you? Thanks!
EP - see post #202 above. It has quotes in the hidden text that link to the SG involved.

Great so no way to find out where the bug is coming from.:( What version of BUG were you running when it happened? If it's the version on the SVN then we can't release BUG 2.0 tonight.

Great so no way to find out where the bug is coming from.:( What version of BUG were you running when it happened?
Last nights I think. So, basically the latest. I think the issue is more, what version of BUG was the save created with.

well let's try creating a save with the latest version of BUG installed, play a few rounds, log some stuff, and make a reminder or two, then load it up without BUG installed and see what happens.

Alright, I just made a save with the latest SVN version, played a few rounds, got rid of BUG completely, and started it up and hit the log button, without a crash. I bet they're using 1.0.

Well, I just made a save with 1.00, played a few rounds, and no CTD when I opened it with a clean CA folder and hit the log button. I wonder if it would help to gather some saves from the thread and see if can we reproduce it. At the least we need to ask them a few questions.

1) Was the game created with someone with BUG loaded?
2) If so, what version of BUG?
3) What are the current versions of BUG that the players in the SG are using, or is it the most recent from the SVN?
4) Has the person who didn't have BUG loaded experienced this before in the game, or was it only something that happened recently?

Ruff, I don't know which game it is since there is no url for it in your post, so would you mind asking them?

Alerum, thread is mentioned above in the spoiler. However, given that this bug is not present in the latest version of BUG, I think that we can say it is fixed and move on ... ok?

However, given that this bug is not present in the latest version of BUG, I think that we can say it is fixed and move on ... ok?

Yes, to have any hope of figuring out what the problem is, we'd need a reproducible test case that starts with

1. Download latest version of BUG (maybe install)
  2. Start a new game
Otherwise we're chasing ghosts. That's really trippy though that it won't crash with logging enabled. Does anything get written to the error log?

Does anything get written to the error log?
I had a look at the log files and nothing useful gets written ... just the usual 'initialize this, load that' type stuff.

That error log is never useful -- only PythonErr2.log has anything of value. Well, I'm sure there's something useful in the other one, but nothing for Python debugging. :)

PythonErr2.log was empty

There is another log file (name escapes me) that I look at because it contains messages that I write to it (code is here, doing this, value of var is that).

:lol: I like this!

"Bug #093480: WONT FIX. Reason: Not reproduced"

The guy in charge for the interface on the application I work on always do this and we all flame him for not testing enough. :lol:

This is not the same case, though. I mean... Someone would better use a totally clean machine for overtesting this, only to be on the safe side. I know there isn't a full "developer environment", as python is interpreted. But strange things do (or don't) happen on a developer computer. :mischief:

Arg! Help! Just installed BUG200 after installing the unofficial patch 3.13 and now the whole interface is gone. I can open the menu but not the options. Can somebody help me? thx !

PS I used the exe

Top Bottom