[BTS] Building Forts in Enemy Territory

McMickeroo1

Chieftain
Hello all,

Not sure if this is the right place to ask this, so please redirect me if it's not.

I've been learning about Roman history recently and was quite interested in the number of times that they--when besieging a city--would construct their own fortifications outside of the city they were attacking.

I have, on occassion, faced the immeasurable frustration of slowly chipping away at an enemy's fortifications with my besieging army, only to find the enemy amassing a relief force against my seige and destroying my units. So I had a bit of a eureka moment that bringing a group of workers with me and building a fort would add an extra layer of protection for my besieging armies.

However, I was disappointed to discover that you can't build forts in enemy territory, which seems like a missed opportunity to add an extra dimension to siegecraft in the game.

So TD;LR: Is it possible to mod the game so that I can build forts in enemy territory?

Thanks!

Looks like this will require changes to CvPlot.cpp, specifically CvPlot::canBuild, CvPlot::defenseModifier, so that the fort actually provides a defensive bonus despite being in enemy territory, and arguably also CvPlot::isCity for the city-like behavior of forts, e.g. faster healing. canBuild could also be changed through Python, but not the other two functions, so this would be a DLL change. (The procedure may differ a bit if you're already using a modified DLL.)

Ok. Thanks for the help! I'm not a particularly great modder (I fiddle with xml sometimes and that's it), so I'll probably work my way up to this in a lil while. But nonetheless, the info is greatly appreciated!

Top Bottom