Reducing Navy Speed to 1 in Enemy Territory

MassRiflemen

Dr. Draftingstein
Hey there. I'm looking to reduce Navy Speed to one tile per turn in enemy territory (to force AI's to DoW first when they send their galleons/transports to avoid diplo penalties).

As of now I am using an extreme bandaid by setting the galley, galleon, dutchman and transport to 1 movement speed, which makes them too vulnerable and too slow when crossing the actual open ocean.

EDIT: I found a better workaround for now. Set iMovement to 10 for coast in Civ4TerrainInfo.xml

still annoying for your own ships to have this problem in your own territory, but definitely better than 1 movement transport ships.

Last edited:
Actually, having the coast stop all ships makes for interesting play.

I'm building a whole mod around this right now.

Looking forward to hear about your experiences :)

At the 18 minute mark I start talking about the navy changes. I have a walking pneumonia at the moment, so you'll hear me cough and rasp from time to time. It's why I'm home with all this time atm.

First 18 minutes is me discussing what led me to these navy changes.

General Synopsis, ships are balanced by:

Coast stopping all movement for that turn.
Coast Defense penalities or bonuses
Coast Attack penalties or bonuses
Ocean Defense penalties or bonuses
Withdrawal Chances
Movement speed on the high sea

Galleon and Transport Speed. Galleon 1 movement speed, Transport 1 movement speed. Carrier 1 movement speed.

+2 ship movement with fission, +1 with refrig, +1 superconductor, +1 sail around the world (unquie), navy UU with +movement (carrack and dutchmen), +1 Ragnar, navigation promos exist. Ai's too stupid to get nav promos.
Transport and Carrier will have 5 movement with the above, 6 with sail around the world, 7 with ragnar, more with promos. More generally, navy gets faster with tech progression.

Innate March promotion on Ship of the Line, Battleship and Trieme.
Limited Number of capital ships (2 carriers with 36 aircraft including bombers, 4 missile cruisers with 20 missiles, 12 battleships, 5 attack subs; 12 ships of the line)
Limit Number of transport ships (6 galleon, 6 gallies, 6 transports) with huge cargo capacities (10:20:100 for galley, galleon, transport respectively).
Limited to one IBCM
Limited to one tac nuke.
Privateers and Stealth Destroyers are both pirate ships and have +200% coast defense and very high movement speed, but limited in number (10 total).
Ironclad one shots a privateer. Ironclad limit of 4.
Guided missles and aircraft can help fend off the stealth destroyer blockading later in game.

Last edited:
Don't want to make a new thread since it's highly related.

Anyone know how to increase the amount of space a loaded unit adds to cargo? I want siege units to occupy two cargo points.

Even though my galley has 10 cargo space, I want to ensure that any committed shore invasion takes multiple gallies.

Last edited:
Top Bottom