Buying Colonization, Spore, Both, or Neither?

Will you buy (or did you buy) Colonization, Spore, Both, or Neither?

• Total voters
Spore was a HUGE letdown. Maybe the 20 expansions EA plans on crapping out will actually make it fun to play. I won't be around to find out though.

Get Colonization. At the very least, it's going to better than the original which would be worth the money in my eyes. Modders will only make it better.

My main forum has a large section dedicated to Spore.

I would say that a good chunk of them would favor Colonization, nonetheless.

Spore was a big let down.

Okay first off let me say before I talk about spore that I'm a huge fan of CIVIV and have had it for years and play it off and on and it's never boring.

For those that are let down with spore you have no one to blame but ourselves for hyping it up so much, the game is very fun, in my opinion. I've reached the space age and I love exploring and nuking planets, and if I get tired of it and need a breather, I can start the game over with a new species (Haven't had to yet) or simply go into the editors and make me some cool spaceships (I've made about 10 so far and I'm not running out of idea's)

Okay another thing... About you complainers about secrurom, if you even cared to look into the issue, you'll noticed two things.

#1. The 3 install limits do NOT apply to the same machine, you can uninstall and reinstall on your computer until the cows come home.

#2. IF you install on 3 computers and run out of installs, Understandable if you upgrade your computer, or have a big family but still unlikely. You can simply call EA up and ASK for more installs. It takes all that of 5 minutes to varify your information and they'll give you 2-3 more installs.
::Sigh:: :crazyeye:

Don't blast something you don't know anything about.

Also Spore is shallow in some aspects but it's better the more creative you are, and I prefer to explore and create, that is why I bought the game, not for end all gameplay that the hype created.

Sorry if I offended anyone by this but I just get a bit ticked for all the spore bashers.

I only have time for one game:
The infos and the tests about col 2 are pretty good. Because I like Col 1, my choice is clear :lol:

#1. The 3 install limits do NOT apply to the same machine, you can uninstall and reinstall on your computer until the cows come home.

It's actually five unique installs now rather than three. This still doesn't negate the fact that it's an artifical limitation on the First Sale Doctrine. (Wiki it if you don't know.) Most people won't run up against the install limit within the next ten years, but for those of us that tinker, or swap components out regularly, it's all too easy to run out of activations.

#2. IF you install on 3 computers and run out of installs, Understandable if you upgrade your computer, or have a big family but still unlikely. You can simply call EA up and ASK for more installs. It takes all that of 5 minutes to varify your information and they'll give you 2-3 more installs.

Just "simply call EA up" and ask for authorization? As someone that did this very thing for Mass Effect PC (which had similar DRM) there's nothing simple about it. It took two phone calls at an hour total used throughout an evening to get authorization. Never mind the fact that I was asking permission to install a product for which I had already paid.

I understand that piracy is a big issue for PC game publishers, but infringing on my rights as a legitimate customer is part of the problem - not the solution. Limited installs serve only to punish paying customers as evidenced by the fact that Spore has become one of the most heavily pirated retail games ever to hit the torrents.

Piracy isn't as big of an issue as many people/companies portray it. It's a complicated matter. Contrary to some opinions, not every ilegally downloaded copy is a lost sale, because not everyone who resorts to piracy to get a game would've purchased it if they couldn't get it for free in the first place. I read somewhere that piracy accounts for under 10% of the gaming industry's losses. And it's an industry that still profits more than twice as much as Hollywood.

I'm not saying it's a non-issue, but rather than it really doesn't justify draconian protection measures such as Spore's, which are a much more certain way of sabotaging your own company's sales. Even less so if games are cracked mere days after (or before!) they hit the stores.

Both.

My wife is happily playing Spore upstairs. I'm playing Civ4 downstairs. I'll eventually buy Col2, but I may wait for the first patch. On the other hand, if I see it in a store, I probably won't have the self-discipline to pass it up.

Neither, because they both come with SecuROM.

Well, SecuROM's been around for several years, dude.

The more draconic EA variant with install limits and such is only present in Spore and Mass Effect.

Well, SecuROM's been around for several years, dude.

The more draconic EA variant with install limits and such is only present in Spore and Mass Effect.

Yes, yes, that whole install limit thing really grinds my gears, but it's not an inherent feature of the newer SecuROMs - that is, the ones with a version number bigger than 7. SecuROM's become as bad as StarForce was, dropping rootkits, opening backdoors, disabling features in your legitimately purchased software, conflicting with basic Windows processes, refusing to let you play even with an original disk and god knows what else.

Colonization, for sure. History fascinates me. Also Colonization will probably be modifiable considering the foundation it is built on, whereas I'm not sure how modifiable Spore will be... Maybe some of those founding fathers that are missing are going to be released as an expansion pack to Colonization... Already they are looking at an expansion pack to an expansion pack perhaps...

Been playing Spore - completely disappointed. Very little depth. I expected at least the level of consequences for actions that were available in The Sims 2 but its far more shallow than Sims.

Buy colonization and leave spore alone. Spore is lacking from any real game being in the box, it's now being touted as having great editors but little game to it. But even the editors are lacking.

Leave spore alone and just buy Colonization.

Spore is a bust, don't waste you money on it. It plays like Civ4 plays on Quick speed, your constantly fighting to get to the next stage with no time to enjoy where you are. If you do decide to postpone moving on to the next stage, then your rewarded with almost nothing to do, and no point in doing it.

Instead you would be much better off playing Rise of Nations, Sins of a Solar Empire, Civ4, and Abes Odessy. You'll accually get enjoy the mechanics and gameplay of each game.

Colonization on the other hand may have its UI complaints and what not, but atleast you get to enjoy the game. On top of that, it cost like half what Spore did.. and Col didn't charge 10 bucks for the World Builder that they planned to release for free with the game..

Top Bottom