Bz9 - Ad Astra Per Sid

Ok, I went before Yom. Steve hasn't been to this thread recently, and previously mentioned he may have to drop, so I am assuming that is the case until told otherwise.

So:
Greebley
Arizona_Steve
Mark1031 <= UP
Grahamiam <= Go ahead and finish the game if you can/want (if it is too slow we can let someone else play too).
Yom

Nothing to report. We are 5-turns from victory. Grahamiam will have the honor of launching. Nice game all, a very convincing Sid win. :cool: I think we really had it by the time we got to the IA. :goodjob:

http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads8/BZ9-1600.SAV

Mark1031 said:
I think we really had it by the time we got to the IA. :goodjob:
all thanks to that wicked round of tech trading you pulled off, iirc :) ok, i will play and post tonight, trying to remember to save it before liftoff :D

Preflight check:

T1: 1605AD Shave a turn off research via scientists in the huge, corrupt cities in the south.

T2: 1610AD

T3: 1615AD Build a modern paratrooper and airdrop it just to check out the parachute :)
Superconductor in 1T so I save here. Prebuilds are in Sala and Caughnawaga. Grand River also has an ICBM prebuild just in case. I will hit the F1 screen after I learn the tech so we will win IBT :)

IBT: Renew Dutch incense deal for 37gpt
Get Superconductor, look at the big picture, F1 to Sala and switch to Life Support, arrow ahead to Grand River and switch to Fuel Cells.

Great game. The Iros are by far the best civ. Also, we had nice land vs our 2 closest opponents who obliged us by having an early war with each other. Still, a Sid win on huge Pangea is tough. I really learned that stealing is quite powerful with lots of civs (steal trade around for cash steal again). Also, its critical to keep the civs balanced. Persia could have run away with it if we hadn't dogpiled them. :goodjob:

microbe said:
You do have a terrific start.
yes, and even with that terrific start, we were out expanded 4:1 early on. imagine what it would have been like with just a random start :crazyeye: we would have been run off the map very quickly :lol:

this is the 3rd SG i've been in where stealing took us from a probable defeat to a win, but this one was the most impressive (1 DG, 1 diety, and this one). always nice to get that skill reinforced as its' quite useful. I also agree that all that fighting from the AI was another key to our success. Probably why SID huge is easier than sid small is that there's more protagonists to fight with each other. i think half the time we didn't even initiate anything, though were were at war with almost everyone at the end of the Middle Ages :lol:

also, the landscape favored us. iirc, Sumeria didn't have iron and horses, while the Arabs didn't have iron. This let our MW's be effective for much longer than one would normally expect. getting the choke and holding it was also key.

One funny thing I see is that Sumeria is in “Awe” of our culture! All we have as far as culture is the Palace

I think there's two possibilities here. Supposing that Sumeria hadn't put up a temple in any cities by that point.

1. The human player, I think, takes their turns first. So, the human player's culture gets calculated first. Thus, you had that multiple of culture before Sumeria did.

2. If both the AI and the human player have the same amount of total culture, the tie breaker might be the ratio of culture to the number of cities. And clearly that ratio ends up higher for the human player on any Sid start for a while.

Top Bottom