C3C CTD When Contacting Egypt

Puppeteer

Emperor
Not a bug. Reinstalling fixed this problem. The likely cause was a corrupt Cleo middle ages animated leaderhead. Thanks to ainwood for suggesting a graphics problem and reinstall. It then occured to me that Egypt entering the middle ages might be correlated with the crashes.

---------------

This is the second game this has happened to me, and both times it was when trying to contact Egypt. I don't know how to reproduce it outside of these two games, but the problem doesn't seem to go away.

The game described in this post is huge emperor continents. No barbs. I am China, and Egypt is to my North. I had previously fought wars with America, Rome and Ottomans, razing cities and planting new ones. This game has the 1.22 patch. I am running CivAssist II in the background. I almost never have crash problems with my PC. The only mod I have is my popHeads graphics mod...I just replaced popHeads.pcx with my modified version. This shouldn't have any affect on this crash and hasn't caused a problem before.

After making peace with Ottomans I declared on Egypt planning to raze Giza and raze & replace Elephantine, then make peace and attack Portugal to my SE.

However, I can't make peace with Egypt because the game crashes to desktop when I try to contact her.

1.3M zip file containing 6 autosave files from 30 AD to 130 AD
30 AD: Can contact Cleo. I declared war but did not enter her territory
50 AD: move units in, and skirmishing (refuse to talk)
70 AD: Raze Giza, skirmishing (refuse to talk)
90 AD: skirmishing (refuse to talk)
110 AD: Approach Elephantine, skirmish (refuse to talk)
130 AD: (refusing to talk at start of turn) In this turn I raze Elephantine

280k 130 AD save after razing Elephantine
In this save after razing Elephantine when I try to talk to Cleo, I get the "bong" sound and then crash to desktop.

I guess the first step is for someone to download the 130AD save file and verify that it crashes when you try to contact Egypt.

EDIT: I just replayed from 30 AD without using CivAssist II. Again it crashed when trying to contact Egypt after they stopped refusing my envoy.

Another example.

Here is the other game I had this problem with a couple of weeks ago. This game is Monarch continents. I'm Carthage and warred early with Germany...I wiped them out and they started anew in Frankfurt to the North. Other than that I don't believe there were any wars to this point.

I didn't notice the problem until much later, but by loading the autosaves the problem shows up in the 330AD autosave. In 320 AD I can contact Egypt no problem. After the 330 AD autosave I can never contact Egypt without crashing to desktop. It crashes whether I use F4, shift-D, right-clicking on one of their units or accept a request for an audience with Egypt. The problem persists through 1060 AD when I gave up the game assuming I wouldn't be able to finish because eventually I'll have to talk to Egypt and the game will be stalled at that point.

353k zip file containing 320 and 330 AD autosaves
In 320 AD you can contact Egypt. In 330 AD you crash to desktop when contacting Egypt. I played through 1060 AD and it still crashes whenever you try to contact Egypt.

Anyone ever seen a similar problem? I am concerned that this has happened twice, and it is a potential game-stopper since I can't ever talk to Egypt after the problem starts, and eventually Egypt is going to try to talk to me IT and stop the game.

EDIT: I just took the 320 AD autosave and played the turn, with and then without CivAssist II running. In both cases as soon as 330 AD started I crash to desktop when contacting Egypt.

---------------

Not a bug. Reinstalling fixed this problem. The likely cause was a corrupt Cleo middle ages animated leaderhead. Thanks to ainwood for suggesting a graphics problem and reinstall. It then occured to me that Egypt entering the middle ages might be correlated with the crashes.

Top Bottom