C3C Play the World won't run?

BeserksareOP

Chieftain
So ever since I got C3C PTW refused to run. It always gave me a "Please insert original disc" error, I've seen that this type of error is somewhat common having to do with updated versions or something. My PTW I noticed is a more advanced version or a old version ( 1.27b3 (v4945) compared to my C3C which is 1.22 Rev A. Now I don't know where I can find any updates for PTW or if I even need to update it, I know Aspyr won't help me with this because they say not to contact them. I can't find any help about this anywhere on the internet. Any ideas? :(

Oh my bad I mis-used the abbreviation C3C, I meant for it to mean "Civ 3 complete" Sorry if anyone misunderstood.

New approach, how did any of you mac users manage to successfully install and play PTW?

Hi

PtW works OK here. It's a very long time since I installed it, and I had an early version, so my copy may not work the same as yours.

I have just looked at my DVD. The PtW program came in a separate folder called Unsupported Extras. There was a file called Play the World Readme in the same folder, and that explained that I had to move the Play the World file into the main Civ3 Complete folder. It stated that the same serial number works for both versions of the game.

I don't know why your copy asks for the DVD. I have had trouble in the past with Aspyr's copy protection - mainly with Civ4 - but that seemed to go away some time ago when I upgraded my OS X.

Version numbers were a separate series for PtW and C3C. My full version for PtW in Get Info is 1.27 Rev. A (v10667). My full version for C3C is 1.22 Rev. A (v10667a). It sounds as if you need an update for PtW.

Well Idk if I need to upgrade it is there a more updated version than 1.27b3 (v4945)? If so where can I get this update and how to apply it and such? Do you need to have a working vanilla CIV 3 to be able to play PTW or is just having C3Complete Suitable? So I did a software update but that didn't seem to help, hmm it's so interesting to find out what the problem may be...could be a problem that the patch 1.27b3 is experiencing? I did a lookup on the patches and it seems that 1.27b3 is the most used or latest I can't find any info on 1.27 Rev A being a PTW patch. Most searched patch for it I can find is 1.27f but will probably be a pain to download.

It looks as if you are searching for Windows versions of Civ3 patches. They are irrelevant.

As far as I know, Aspyr's Civ3 Complete updater at http://support.aspyr.com/entries/20687091-civilization-iii-complete-universal-binary should update both C3C and PtW. However, you already appear to have updated C3C, so maybe I'm wrong.

No, you don't need vanilla Civ3 to run Civ3 Complete. Vanilla was published by MacSoft a decade ago, and won't even run on modern Macs.

When I installed C3 Complete it set up a PTW data folder & a Conquests Data folder within the main C3 folder. Then the PTW scenarios are selected from the same menu as Conquests scenarios - can spot them because there's a different icon beside each name. Just start C3 Complete & they should all be there if installed correctly.

Wait um running civ 3 complete isn't a problem but I can't get to the menu for PTW shouldn't I be able to run PTW and it not say "Please insert original disc"? When you start civ 3 complete when I go to multiplayer it gives me 3 options, LAN etc. but no Internet? I'm pretty sure it's play the world that allows you to have internet capabilities? Or is it only LAN, lol I'm kindof confused here...And I was saying if I needed Vanilla to run PTW? Technically I guess I would but the application Civ 3 Complete is pretty much an upgraded Vanilla right? So because I have Vanilla uninstalled shouldn't be a problem? Hmm well when I start up Civ Complete I am able to select multiplayer is the fact that that is there signal that PTW works? But yet I cannot run the PTW application itself? Or is it that the MAC user only has Lame LAN which I can't do anything with and it's only the PC version that has INTERNET(as in the button selection) capability? If that is so then that simply sucks...

Wait um running civ 3 complete isn't a problem but I can't get to the menu for PTW shouldn't I be able to run PTW and it not say "Please insert original disc"?
Did you read my last message? Have you installed PtW according to the instructions on your DVD?

When you start civ 3 complete when I go to multiplayer it gives me 3 options, LAN etc. but no Internet? I'm pretty sure it's play the world that allows you to have internet capabilities? Or is it only LAN, lol I'm kindof confused here...
Let's try walking before you start running with Internet multiplayer, shall we? First you need to ensure that you have installed it correctly.
And I was saying if I needed Vanilla to run PTW? Technically I guess I would but the application Civ 3 Complete is pretty much an upgraded Vanilla right? So because I have Vanilla uninstalled shouldn't be a problem?
Did you read my last message? Forget vanilla. It is a dead product. It has turned up its toes and gone to meet its maker. It is no more. It is deceased. It is is dead.

Hmm well when I start up Civ Complete I am able to select multiplayer is the fact that that is there signal that PTW works? But yet I cannot run the PTW application itself? Or is it that the MAC user only has Lame LAN which I can't do anything with and it's only the PC version that has INTERNET(as in the button selection) capability? If that is so then that simply sucks...
The existence of the multiplayer menu option simply means you can play C3C as multiplayer. It does not indicate that PtW is installed correctly. As far as I know, you can't switch to Play The World from within Civ3 Complete. You need to start the separate application.

If I recall correctly, you need to use a game server like GameRanger if you want to play online. It is not available from the in-game menu.

I recommend that you find the Return key on your keyboard, and use it to split your posts into manageable paragraphs.

Well as far as I know I installed it correctly, copied it from the unsupported extras folder into the folder "Civ III Complete" on my HD.

The original one is still there in the unsupported extras folder, but the copy is in the civ 3 complete folder along with all the conquests data, PTW data, civ 3 complete application, etc.

I'm hoping that it's just that I've installed it incorrectly which would be embarrasing given the instructions, but easily fixable.

I can uninstall it and re-install it again if you want?

I don't think your problems are with your install procedure, and I haven't suggested you should re-install. I think your problems are far more likely because your PtW software is not the latest version.

Alright, well if you feel I need to reinstall or something then thats ok is what I was saying.

So what version should it be at considering I bought this rather recently I thought it was the latest version 1.27b3.

Do you know where I can find the latest version It's hard to find updates like this for mac on the internet I've looked but it says 1.27b3 is the latest PTW version.

Oh no... somehow the link you gave me i applied the update and now it's saying I need to insert the disc for normal civ 3 complete now....

Well I guess I've got to reinstall now, waiting to re-install with any instructions you can give me haha

Something interesting I noticed is that when I installed the update on the link you gave me instead of saying Civ 3 Complete: "Please insert the original disc" it said Civ 3 Play the World: "Please insert the original disc" When starting up PTW.

Sigh, sounds to me like a manufacturing error?

I have the latest versions of C3C and PtW. They are C3C 1.22 Rev. A (v10667a), and PtW 1.27 Rev. A (v10667).

I installed it from the original DVD release, which I purchased when it was first released. The original DVD had C3C version 1.22 (v4945), and PtW version 1.27b3 (v4945). When I applied the updater that I linked, it updated the versions to the ones above.

You can check the version numbers on the DVD software without reinstalling it. Just right click the two software apps on the DVD and select Get Info.

It is possible that you have a more recent DVD then mine, and that it already includes the Rev A version. If so, I don't know how you have ended up with the old PtW, but that would explain why it doesn't like your DVD. You can just reinstall it all from the DVD and you should be good to go.

If the versions on your DVD are not the Rev A ones then you should probably re-install from the DVD and then apply the updater. If you do re-install, then make sure you copy the PtW app to the top level Civ3 folder as you did before, and do that before you apply any updater.

My specs for Civ 3 Complete is 1.22 Rev. A (v10667a) and my specs for PTW is 1.27b3 (v4945)

What do you mean install it off the DVD? I put in the disc and installed it, dragging the civ 3 complete folder to my HD.

After I did the whole PTW installation thing, I tried applying that update you gave me and then both of the applications showed the same error message.

Is there some update that should be coming with the package that I'm not seeing that I need to apply?

Hmm I'm at a loss for words why when I updated it using the link you gave me that it didn't work, Shouldn't that have resolved the problem?

An application for applying an update did NOT come with the product.

Alan you're totally right on this when I installed the update BOTH versions were Rev A like you said but for some reason my disc isn't recognizing either of the applications do you know why this could be or how to fix it?

Wait do you want me to apply the update to the disk itself because it's not recognizing the updated versions?

I applied the updater to the Civ III Complete Folder on my HD. And I copy and paste the PTW app to the folder on the HD.

My specs for Civ 3 Complete is 1.22 Rev. A (v10667a) and my specs for PTW is 1.27b3 (v4945)
That was where we came in. Your PtW was not up to date.
What do you mean install it off the DVD? I put in the disc and installed it, dragging the civ 3 complete folder to my HD.

After I did the whole PTW installation thing, I tried applying that update you gave me and then both of the applications showed the same error message.
After you dragged it from the DVD, what were the version numbers? If they were at Rev A then applying the updater was probably a bad idea. It would not make them any newer and probably corrupted them.
Is there some update that should be coming with the package that I'm not seeing that I need to apply?
Nope.
Hmm I'm at a loss for words why when I updated it using the link you gave me that it didn't work, Shouldn't that have resolved the problem?
That could happen if you apply an old updater to newer software that doesn't need updating.
An application for applying an update did NOT come with the product.
Why would it? If they had an updater they would apply it before burning the disk.
Alan you're totally right on this when I installed the update BOTH versions were Rev A like you said but for some reason my disc isn't recognizing either of the applications do you know why this could be or how to fix it?
If they were already at Rev A then you should not have applied the updater.
Wait do you want me to apply the update to the disk itself because it's not recognizing the updated versions?
That's pointless. The disk is read only. You can't update it.

In summary:

You say that a fresh copy of the two applications from the DVD is already at Rev A. If so then you should NOT need to update it AT ALL, and trying to do so will probably break it. It's a complete mystery to me how you managed to have the older version of PtW - 1.27b3 (v4945)

Yeah, I just tried to apply some update directly from aspyr saying it should update it to Rev A, that didn't even work so I'm not sure what I should do.

It says though that the most used version of PTW is 1.27b3 though.

From the DVD Civ 3 Complete is 1.22 Rev A (v10667a) and From the DVD PTW is 1.27b3 (v4945) similar to the original one you bought which you needed to update which should have resolved the problem for me..

When I said that both versions were Rev A like you said is that I noticed that the updater actually updated them but when the applications were updated BOTH of them refused to run.

I pretty much just need to apply the patch but none of the patches will work...

The most used version of Civ3 is Civ3 Complete, and I'm not sure why you even feel the need to play Play the World, which was the older edition of the game. Civ3 Complete is a newer expansion pack version with more features and less problematic corruption rules. On the other hand it has killer armies and a bug in the Scientific Leader concept.

The most used version of PtW is 1.27b3 if you include Windows users, but that's irrelevant. There are a lot more of them than us.

The Rev A update was needed in order to provide an Intel-compatible version and to fix some bugs in the original Mac release. Other than that, both games play the same way as the Windows versions.

What do you mean when you say "None of the patches work"? The is only one patch :confused:

If you have two different versions on your DVD then I don't know what to suggest. It sounds like you have a strange DVD. Are you sure it came from Aspyr? Maybe you need to talk to Aspyr Support.

I thought PTW was the expansion that allowed you to play on the Internet, that's why I wanted to play PTW.

My experience with Civ 3 complete first was on a PC where when you go to multiplayer you have an "Internet" option which would be four options with hotseat, play by email, LAN etc.

I thought that PTW allows for the multiplayer; the internet capablity.

Well If they play the same way then I'm missing a button in the "Multiplayer" section.

When I said none of the patches work when I tried updating both applications refused to work afterwards.

Civ 3 Complete 1.22 Rev A (v10667a) and PTW is 1.27b3 (v4945). These are the original versions from the DVD.

If I remember correctly I got it from a BestBuy, I've never heard of a problem of a faulty product like this though if that's the case.

So I got Gameranger but I don't see any civ 3 complete or civ 3 play the world rooms but It says it only supports civ 3 play the world under "supported games" which that application does not work for me so lol?

Internet play is only supported for the Mac products using GameRanger as far as I know, and it supports either. Play the World doesn't do anything in that respect that you can't do with C3C.

You have to add your games to your account on GameRanger. Civ3 is an old game, so it's not likely that there are a lot of people running games there. You probably need to arrange to meet up with other Mac players. Use this forum to ask.

Oh ok thanks Alan for helping me figure this out haha.

Well apparently they only have Civ III Play the World and Civ 3 Conquests on the game list and not civ 3 complete, Civ 3 ptw and civ 3 conquests are darkened

How do I add games to the list? As in what I play?

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=195516 Ehh It seems Aspyr no longer supports civ 3 complete so that we can't multiplayer with it? The forum was from 2006 so that's rather old maybe things have changed, I'll research it a bit more.

So I guess I would need to get PTW working...

Civ3 Complete is just a marketing name for the combined product on one DVD. For all practical purposes, Civ3 Complete is Civ 3 Conquests, aka C3C.

I can't imagine how or when support for GameRanger disappeared. I don't believe it happened in the Rev A upgrade, as it wasn't mentioned in any release notes I read. Trust me - if C3C isn't supported by GameRanger then PtW won't be either. They use the same basic game software

GameRanger still recognises Civ3 PtW and C3C when I open it, and I can host a game. No one joins, as no one expects to play Civ3 online these days. But it shows up as a game room.

The GameRanger preferences window shows a list of supported games in the Games tab. If Civilization III Conquests is not highlighted in bold in that list, select it and click Browse. Find the Civilization 3 Complete application in your Applications folder and click Choose. It should then be bold in the list.

Top Bottom