C3MT v1.12.6 installer

C3MT - Civ3MultiTool (Second CFC Thread) 2016-10-05

As far as I know, the C3 multitools were written in Visual Basic (or a combination of Visual Basic and C/C++), not in Java. So your Java is irrelevant here.
Problem is most probably, that the 20 year old version of VB this was written in, is no longer compatible with Windows 10/11.
Interesting. The tool was working under W10 last week. I was just wondering if I had inadvertently changed a setting, or if I got boned by an update.

Interesting. The tool was working under W10 last week. I was just wondering if I had inadvertently changed a setting, or if I got boned by an update.
To run this tool on windows 10/11 or any other modern windows you need to install "Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable Package" for x86, you can get it here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=26999 (vcredist_x86.exe - setup file name)

(I am even ran it on windows 11 arm!, also the game works on w11arm)

I ended up trying the tool. . . found it a bit too confusing for what I was looking for so I uninstalled it. Now all my editors have the following errors:

ERROR Could not locate Civilization III: Play the World. Please make sure the game has been properly installed and try again.
Followed by:
ERROR Could not locate Civilization III: Conquests. Please make sure the game has been properly installed and try again.
If I select "ignore"
ERROR Could not open file: Art\Units\Palettes\ntp00.pcx
ERROR Could not open file: Art\Terrain\xtc.pcx. Check to make sure the editor is drum from where the Civilization II was installed.

^there are perhaps a dozen or more errors like above before it finally opens, thankfully the mod I'm working on works fine once loaded, but if trying to mess around from scratch there is nothing, (despite all the files in the correct location.

What on Earth have you been doing with C3MT? I've never gotten anything like that , ever.

Did you install it into a subdirectory of the Civ3 installation? Looks like the uninstall then deleted that directory including the Civ3 files...
You will probably need to uninstall and reinstall Civ3 to get these files back...

Last edited:
What on Earth have you been doing with C3MT? I've never gotten anything like that , ever.
... oh good god, what did I do?!
Did you install it into a subdirectory of the Civ3 installation? Looks like the uninstall then deleted that directory including the Civ3 files...
You will probably need to uninstall and reinstall Civ3 to get these file back...
Thing is I checked those files they are not missing, they are right there in the correct location. I should add the editor works fine on the mod I'm working on, just does not seem to be able to register vanilla art items.

Of not when I uninstalled it did mention something to the extent of "do you want to uninstall a system32 file which no program is using". . . perhaps there was a directory or something there indexing what to find???

Hello!
I need to use the SaveGame editor. It seems to work perfectly if I just edit the .SAV files but whenever I try to export them to .BIQ and then I try to run them using the Civ3Conquest Editor, it says "Error: not a valid Civ3 scenario".

I tried many times but apparently there's no way to make the editor read the .biq files converted with C3MT.

Can anyone help me? Thanks!

Hello everyone,
i have used Process Monitor to analyse why C3MT is crashing on my device:
Anyone knows the exact steps for running it on Windows 10 v909?
I installed it and just get the following in the log
[start omitted]

STARTUP: Running on Windows 6.2
STARTUP: FAIL: (0)

i already tried all different compatibility settings.
It turns out the updating mechanism tried to read the following registry keys:
Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Gramphos\C3MT#CheckExpire
Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Gramphos\C3MT#CheckForUpdates
if either of these exist it will crash with a buffer overflow.

as a temporary work around you can delete these entries and then it should work again

when starting the savegame editor I get:

Error: File not found: c3mt.dll (53) in c3mt @ frmSaveEdit.frm Line 0

the dll is there. it's a fresh install on win10 x64.

So, today is the day when I release version 1.00 of C3MT. It's about half a day delayed to come to this site due to some reallife issues for me.
I've been asked to start a new thread with this version, and I think it's about time too. the old thread is way too long, and many posts are outdated. I should probably done this already by the namechange.

I'll start by telling you all what's new:
- SGE: Default loading directory now is the latest played game Civ3/PTW save directory
- SGE: Great Wonders are now handled correctly when assiging them to cities
- SGE: Bug where the buildinglist would show more than one copy of each building corrected.
- SGE: Bug where all last buildings in the rules would get unbuilt when a save was loaded and resaved corrected.
- SGE: Building count is now updated correctly when editing saves
- SGE: Unit count is now updated correctly when editing saves
- SGE: Small Wonders are now handled correctly when assiging them to cities
- SGE: Changing the Unit coordinates from odd-odd to even-even and vice verse now works as for cities
- SGE: Bug where the tool crashed when changing tab with invalid coordinates entered corrected.
- SGE: Typo in invalid coordinates popup message corrected
- Map converter: The welcome message now names the tool correctly
- SGE: Bug that made citizens unmoveable corrected.
- SGE: AI strastegies counts are now updated correctly in saves.
- SGE: Army count is now updated correctly in saves
- SGE: Saves with Victory Points are now loadable
- SGE: Victory Points added to the SGE histograph
- StartLocation data is no longer lost when editing a BIC/BIX
- Corrected some translations problems
- Language module extended to support inclution of other language files than the current. (It can be used to fill up with default strings if a translation is missing some)
- SGE: PTW Turn limit is now correctly handled.
- SGE: PTW Victory Pint limit added among with estimation of when it will be reached by the current Victory Location holders.
- SGE: The citycounters are now updated correctly.
- SGE: Optimized saving a little.
- Enabled minimize for map converter and unit wizard
- Added option to get back to the main menu when closing a tool
- Mainmenu change to center screen
- Bug with scenarios without spaceships corrected
- UCW: Added support for scenario search folders and #ANIMNAME civilopediicon entries
- Compatibility issues with early versions of PTW corrected
- Optimized maploading in saves.
- Added all icons to c3mt.dll to make all icons useable by shortcuts (VB doesn't give you more than the default icon to choose from)
- Added versioninfo to c3mt.dll
- Icons are now loaded at runtime from c3mt.dll => dialogicons are in correct size
- All icons except the mainicon removed from the exe.
- Added icon to Mapconverter
- SGE: Added Diplomacy Tab
- New Tool member: Civilization Diplomacy Data editor. Allows you to edit CDD files used by CDT to set up initial diplomacy in a first turn save
- Renamed the UNUSED flag to Flag Unit as that's what it's used for now
- UCW: Added AI strategy Flag Unit (how could I miss that one before?)
- SGE: Added Ctrl+L shorcut for Load and Ctrl+S shorcut for save.
- Unit Organizer: Flag Unit, Captured pop Unit and units place in a scenario will now be updated correctly if the IDs change.
- Fixed saving of Conquests saves. (1.12.7 and 1.12.6 caused an DATA IO error WRLD during save)

Full Install

Small File
The latest version (1.12.8) is here

A Full version is needed if you are installing from scratch or if you are upgrading from a version earlier than 1.0.

You will also need a fixed for the copytool to work correctlybuildings-small.pcx (Also needed with the full install) (NOT FOR PTW+)

20 years and one month later, here I am trying to install the full version after having installed Civ 3 Complete... and I get this error:
c3mtfull error.png

I apologise if this has been asked and answered before, but I really do not have the patience to wade through 30+ pages of comments...

Would I be overstepping my bounds if I requested
Gramphos to consider editing their original post to incorporate FAQs to answer known issues and their fixes into it?

Anyone else that would consider answering a useful resolution would be very much welcome to do so.

Thanking everyone kindly for their efforts, from now.

Kind regards,

Icer 66

You could try running the installation as Administrator. If that doesn't help, I would say too much has been changed in the Windows OS over the last 20 years... Especially with OLE, COM and Visual Basic (which more or less got replaced by the .NET world...) There is probably not much hope of getting this outdated software to run on today's Windows... :-(

If you're up to it, buy the ~$5 Complete version from GOG. It also has an offline installer which you can use to set up and play the game without using the GOG cloud.
This is about C3MT…

@icer66, have you tried using compatibility modes?

You could try running the installation as Administrator. If that doesn't help, I would say too much has been changed in the Windows OS over the last 20 years... Especially with OLE, COM and Visual Basic (which more or less got replaced by the .NET world...) There is probably not much hope of getting this outdated software to run on today's Windows... :-(
So you are suggesting I uninstall Civ III and then reinstall as Admin? If other replies do not resolve my predicament, I will try this. Thank you Lanzelot 🫡

If you're up to it, buy the ~$5 Complete version from GOG. It also has an offline installer which you can use to set up and play the game without using the GOG cloud.
Ozymandias, this is the Complete version, from GOG that I am looking to edit saves with 🤷🏻‍♂️ 😅

Erm, yes, it might be worth trying.

Erm, yes, it might be worth trying.
I did do that last night (14:28 in Melbourne Australia right now) and was able to successfully install it.

I now need to learn how to use the software, as when I add stuff (read, wonders), I get errors. I have to ignore them and save that way.

One thing though, I added all of the Wonders to a save, to see how it ran… I got that warning again and ignored them (around 20 of them). When I returned to the game and loaded it, unfortunately I received a cultural defeat, I think. I will try doing this again and screen-shotting it (ooh! I may even screen record and upload it to YouTube… do not hold your breaths though) so you can all see what I am talking about. Probably within the next two hours… If not, then by the weekend.

Top Bottom