Can police take blood without consent? SCOTUS to rule on 4th A case

ace99

Deity
The U.S. Supreme Court will hear arguments Wednesday in a landmark Fourth Amendment case that could clear up almost 50 years of uncertainty over the constitutionality of blood tests that are taken without a suspect's consent.

The case involves a traffic stop in Missouri, but its ramifications could range far wider, potentially rewriting drunk-driving laws in all 50 states.

"It comes down, basically, to are you going to see blood draws every single time someone gets pulled over for a DUI," said Michael A. Correll, a litigator with the international law firm Alston & Bird, who examined the legality of blood draws in the West Virginia Law Review last year.

Because drunk-driving stops are such an everyday occurrence, "it's going to affect a broad area of society," he told NBC News, adding: "This may be the most widespread Fourth Amendment situation that you and I are going to face" for the foreseeable future.

Writing last month in the journal of the Texas District and County Attorneys Association, Lauren Owens, a research attorney for the organization, said, "The outcome of the case could lead to a dramatic increase in the number of DWI cases supported by blood evidence."

The case began in October 2010, when Tyler McNeely of Cape Girardeau, Mo., about 100 miles south of St. Louis, was pulled over for speeding. According to court documents, McNeely was unsteady and failed field sobriety tests, so state Highway Patrol Cpl. Mark Winder asked him to take a breath test.

Even before Supreme Court rules, gay marriage battles rage in the states

When McNeely refused, Winder took him to a hospital, where McNeely refused to take a blood test. Winder told the lab technician to take a sample anyway. The record shows that at no time did Winder seek a warrant compelling the test, which indicated that McNeely's blood-alcohol level was almost double the legal limit.

But McNeely's lawyers persuaded the trial judge to exclude the evidence as a warrantless search in violation of the Fourth Amendment to the U.S. Constitution:
The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

Here's where it gets complicated. Earlier in 2010, the Missouri Legislature changed the state's "implied consent" law, which says that if you drive on Missouri's roads, you've automatically consented to take a sobriety test.

The previous language said explicitly that if you refused to take a test, then "none shall be given" and the refusal itself could be used as evidence against you.

The new language left out the four words "none shall be given," re-emphasizing that the driver had consented simply by having gotten behind the wheel in the first place. Winder testified that he had read a journal article about the change and said he made a "conscious decision" not to seek a warrant "due to the law changes."

On appeal, the state argued that no warrant was needed because of a 1966 U.S. Supreme Court ruling in a California DUI case that laid out circumstances under which law enforcement could order a blood test without a warrant.

Supreme Court lets embryonic stem cell research go forward

In general, a person's blood is protected under the Fourth Amendment, Chief Justice William Brennan wrote in Schmerber v. California (.pdf): "Search warrants are ordinarily required for searches of dwellings, and, absent an emergency, no less could be required where intrusions into the human body are concerned."

But Brennan noted that Armando Schmerber, the driver in the California case, had been in an accident. Because the officer had to investigate the scene and make sure Schmerber was taken to a hospital for treatment, "there was no time to seek out a magistrate and secure a warrant" before the driver's body metabolized the alcohol in his system, Brennan wrote.

So Brennan carved out what he called a "stringently limited" exception to the Fourth Amendment's warrant requirement because of the likelihood that evidence — the alcohol in the driver's blood — would be destroyed during the delay. That clause has come to be known as the "exigent circumstances" or "special facts" exception.

Missouri argued that delaying McNeely's blood test while the officer sought a warrant amounted to an exigent circumstance because the alcohol in his blood would be destroyed. McNeely argued that because his case involved a straightforward DUI stop — he wasn't in an accident, unlike Schmerber in 1966 — Winder had plenty of time to seek a warrant.

Missouri's Supreme Court agreed with McNeely in January 2012, writing (.pdf):

The patrolman here, however, was not faced with the "special facts" of Schmerber. Because there was no accident to investigate and there was no need to arrange for the medical treatment of any occupants, there was no delay that would threaten the destruction of evidence before a warrant could be obtained. ... The sole special fact present in this case, that blood-alcohol levels dissipate after drinking ceases, is not a per se exigency pursuant to Schmerber justifying an officer to order a blood test without obtaining a warrant from a neutral judge.

As the court itself noted, Brennan stressed 47 years ago that his analysis was expressly limited to the facts of the Schmerber case, but that hasn't stopped various state and federal courts from referring to it over the years, not all of them reading it the same way.

So in May, the state of Missouri asked the U.S. Supreme Court (.pdf) to step in because "this emerging conflict on a fundamental Fourth Amendment issue will likely continue to divide courts throughout the United States."

Watch US News videos on NBCNews.com

The federal government has sided with Missouri, writing in a friend-of-the-court brief (.pdf) that "the fact that the evidence of intoxication is necessarily leaving the suspect's system provides the required exigency." Prosecutors from across the country joined to file a similar brief (.pdf).

But the American Civil Liberties Union, which is representing McNeely, argued that there were no special circumstances trumping the Fourth Amendment.

In any event, it told the Supreme Court (.pdf), the issue is groundless, because — as he testified himself — the arresting officer ordered the blood test because he thought he could, not because of any "special facts." That means it's "a strange case in which to construe the exigency exception to the Fourth Amendment," the ACLU argued.

The court's decision is likely to come down to one simple question, Correll said: "Did Schmerber create a blanket exception to the Fourth Amendment or didn't it?"

"What does the court indicate the emergency is?" he asked. "Is the emergency the inability to get a warrant in a set period of time, or is the emergency that the blood alcohol is dissipating?"

As for McNeely, he's not off the hook even if he wins. Under a separate law that isn't at issue, his driver's license was revoked because he refused to take the breath and blood tests. And both sides agree that the blood test wasn't the only evidence against him, meaning he could still be convicted of felony drunk driving.

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/201...-take-your-blood-without-your-permission?lite

Interesting case. I know a lot of people who will be glad to have the uncertainty cleared up. It does worry me however. This is not a court that has been friendly to the 4th Amendment. Miranda rights, wrongful search and seizure and other things have been diminished by this court. Miranda rights in particular have been worryingly circumscribed. Police can even go so far as to conduct strip searches upon arrest. I don't have much faith in the ruling the Roberts Court is going to make.

I was going to argue that no, the government cannot take blood without a warrant or consent until I read,

Here's where it gets complicated. Earlier in 2010, the Missouri Legislature changed the state's "implied consent" law, which says that if you drive on Missouri's roads, you've automatically consented to take a sobriety test.

The previous language said explicitly that if you refused to take a test, then "none shall be given" and the refusal itself could be used as evidence against you.

The new language left out the four words "none shall be given," re-emphasizing that the driver had consented simply by having gotten behind the wheel in the first place. Winder testified that he had read a journal article about the change and said he made a "conscious decision" not to seek a warrant "due to the law changes."

I think the government has the right to do just that. Driving is not a right, it is a privilege. You are allowed to drive by the government, provided you follow the government's rules about driving. If you don't want your blood drawn after you've raised reasonable suspicion, then don't drive.

It is a complicated issue. The court has really punted on all blood stuff. Tangentially related in Bullcoming v. New Mexico. A similar situation dude drunk driving, refused to to a test, was taken to the hospital by a cop who got a warrant and drew blood, it tested positive for a high BAC twice the legal limit if I recall. He basically argued that Confrontation Clause required the analyst who examined the blood be bought before him so that he could confront his accuser. The state said they have like 5 analysts who are swamped with work, plus that analyst had left and was no longer working there so they brought in a different dude who was in the lab at the time but never handled Bullcoming's blood and therefore his blood. Basically the issue was if the confrontation clause was sufficently satisfied by this tangentially related dude and if it would be overtly burdensome on the state if analysts were dragged into court by every idiot.

It's in the Supreme Court now. I'd be very interested to see this outcome. I wrote an article arguing, no the Confrontation Clause was not met.

What are the chances that an lab tech is going to remember a specific case? That sounds more like a chain of evidence issue: the guy is going to testify what his notes said he did. Of course, you can't examine / confront his character, I guess....

What are the chances that an lab tech is going to remember a specific case? That sounds more like a chain of evidence issue: the guy is going to testify what his notes said he did. Of course, you can't examine / confront his character, I guess....

Well consider the issue of human error. It turns out that one of the guidelines required that all blood samples need to be peer reviewed. Turns out that the lab tech neglected to have his finding peer reviewed. It's only by questioning the guy that that kind of human error or other wrongful conduct can be uncovered.

This issue makes my blood boil.

We are headed for armed conflict. No doubt in my mind.

For once your hysteria is marginally warranted.

My great fear is that the court will rule that implied consent is enough, and then eviscerate the Confrontation Clause aspect with Bullcoming, making it so that you will be forced to give blood and be unable to effectively challenge the result.

Combine this with the erosion of Miranda rights and empowered police you can very well see average motorists subject to invasive searches with forced blood sample draws and strip searches which are already permitted upon arrest.

The 2nd guy should be able to confront the analyst, if my DNA was linked to a crime I didn't commit I'd want to challenge the lab's work...even if the tech is in some other job.

As for the OP case, it'll be a tough call - the cop had probable cause, a failed sobriety test and refusing the breathalyzer and blood tests should be enough for a DUI conviction. But is it reasonable for cops to take blood from people just to strengthen the prosecution? Maybe if there was an actual crime like rape or murder and the blood was needed asap, but for DUI? The cop will win in court, the dude refused 2 out of 3 tests and failed the only one he took. The court will probably give the state it's blessing though, the 4th Amendment doesn't count for much any more. Between the drug war and war on terror and what constitutes "public information", privacy is in short supply. The court ruled the use of flash grenades to break into homes when "serving" a warrant for drugs is reasonable, the cops can literally blow your door in just like the big bad wolf.

Next thing you know, police will be authorized to shoot people.

That implied consent is sure sticky. We cannot argue out of both sides of our mouth. On the one hand, we recognise that the ability to drive is nigh-essential in today's society; the poor, specifically, cannot afford to give up their cars. This is consistently argued whenever we discuss CO2 or whatever. OTOH, the law states that driving is a privilege and so implied consent can be foisted.

Now, I'm not arguing that driving is a privilege, it obviously is. But this foisting seems to be right at the edge of reasonableness. I mean, medical care is also obviously a privilege. So is buying drugs from a pharma. Can implied consent be foisted there, too? Driving is so close to being analogous that I'm honestly a bit offended.

I was going to argue that no, the government cannot take blood without a warrant or consent until I read,

I think the government has the right to do just that. Driving is not a right, it is a privilege. You are allowed to drive by the government, provided you follow the government's rules about driving. If you don't want your blood drawn after you've raised reasonable suspicion, then don't drive.
Is it just me, or has the traditional "liberals = Rousseauian, conservatives = Hobbesian" set-up become completely screwed up in the US in the last few years?

[Statement about implied consent to sobriety tests by using government roads]

I don't know if it's a good idea to go down this route. What kinds of "implied consent" can the government also assume when using government infrastructure? Can you simply implicitly forfeit constitutional rights just by using public roads?

The point of guaranteed basic rights is that the legislation can't just sneak in some obscure addendums to random laws that take them away at leisure.

Is it just me, or has the traditional "liberals = Rousseauian, conservatives = Hobbesian" set-up become completely screwed up in the US in the last few years?
This is a very good question. I've even contemplated starting a poll about this association a few months ago I think.

Rigid insistence on the Confrontation Clause is dubious because that would
merely increase the incentive to get acquitted by murdering witnesses.

This, both of them.
I appreciate El_Mac's concern that it is hard to live in (certain parts of) the USA without a car. You should change that!

I think the government has the right to do just that. Driving is not a right, it is a privilege. You are allowed to drive by the government, provided you follow the government's rules about driving.

I would also add, 'provided that government's rules are reasonable'.

That implied consent is sure sticky. We cannot argue out of both sides of our mouth. On the one hand, we recognise that the ability to drive is nigh-essential in today's society; the poor, specifically, cannot afford to give up their cars.

Then they really should be careful when drinking (which really, everyone ought to be doing anyway).

The law doesn't say you lose your right if you've been drinking, the threshold is merely whether the police think you have been drinking.

Top Bottom