Can we do the following?

bragaul

Chieftain
There's some "quality of life" tweeks I'd like to see. This information is available in the game but obtaining it is awkward or requires you to leave the screen you're on and navigate elsewhere. I don't know if "I r nub" and just don't know how to turn on certain options or if these are moddable but here are some features I wish I could use.

User Interface
  1. Tooltips for the unique units and buildings on the Set Up Game menu. I'd like to see what those are alongside the unique ability when deciding which leader to play.
  2. Resource filtering in strategic view. For example, I'd like to see where all the oil tiles are without all the other resources cluttering the screen.
  3. Notifications for each city's growth and culture border expansion. Often I only receive one notification "Cityname has grown" if multiple cities grow in a turn.
  4. An indicator in the trade window showing how many resources you have from city states that you cannot trade but letting you know you can risk trading away your last owned resource without happiness loss. (+x from city states, for example)
  5. Combined advisor messages/suggestions to cut down on all the economic advisor messages. Ex. "The following cities need workers:..."
  6. In Hot Seat multiplayer games, allow advisor pop ups etc. If I want to teach my wife to play and she wants to play with me, the advisor pop ups would be useful.
  7. A way to see tile yield post improvement without a worker being on that tile. Do I want to build that deer camp on tundra or sheep pasture on that plains hill when I'm short on food? etc.
  8. Unique abilities listed in the Global Diplomacy screen or available on hover etc.

Graphics
  1. Please oh please fix the incessant scrolling away when it's not my turn! :mad:
  2. Anyone else find that some tile improvement images don't load. For example, some farms look like unimproved tiles. Or railroads that look like roads.

Gameplay
  1. Movement stops upon revealing a previously hidden enemy unit instead of trying to automatically walk around it and being stopped by the Zone of Control.

Agree with most, others simply don't apply to me.

I'd also very much like some improvements to the unit-queue system. The game picks the most bizarre order of units for me to move. Mostly it should be based on location. If I just performed an action near a city or unit, the next unit to pop up in the queue should be near that location, not across the map.

Even with 'Auto Cycle Units' disabled, the camera still jumps to the last activated unit at the beginning of every turn. This is annoying and requires me to take extra caution to be certain which unit I'm moving. I wish the camera would just stay put where I move it in between turns.

There's some "quality of life" tweeks I'd like to see. This information is available in the game but obtaining it is awkward or requires you to leave the screen you're on and navigate elsewhere. I don't know if "I r nub" and just don't know how to turn on certain options or if these are moddable but here are some features I wish I could use.

User Interface
  1. Tooltips for the unique units and buildings on the Set Up Game menu. I'd like to see what those are alongside the unique ability when deciding which leader to play.

1. Yes, this one's obvious and I was disappointed they didn't fix it in G&K.

[*] Notifications for each city's growth and culture border expansion. Often I only receive one notification "Cityname has grown" if multiple cities grow in a turn.

You only get notifications of city growth if your city is below pop 6, I've found. No cultural border notifications that I've seen.

What I'd like would be the ability to choose which bubbles you get and which not (also whether the system will force you to move every unit/choose production in every city before you can end the turn). Also, civilian units should not trigger the "enemy nearby" notification - I got very fed up in my last game with continual notifications that I was being attacked by settlers because for no very obvious reason Suleiman let them wander round my territory.

Graphics
    1. Please oh please fix the incessant scrolling away when it's not my turn! :mad:

1. It seems to have been doing that less for me than it was right after G&K came out, but I still have it occasionally.

Ye this game certainly needs some polishing.
Lets not even mention multiplayer...

User Interface

YES! Seconded, thirded, and fourthed.

Resource filtering in strategic view. For example, I'd like to see where all the oil tiles are without all the other resources cluttering the screen.

A-freaking-men! Doing the global scroll for coal gets very old very quickly.

Notifications for each city's growth and culture border expansion. Often I only receive one notification "Cityname has grown" if multiple cities grow in a turn.

Was already mentioned, but you only get notifications for cities growing to a population of less than 6. One the one hand I understand why that was done (to cut down on notification spam), on the other it makes it unnecessarily difficult to maintain micromanagement on a wide empire. At the very least I'd like to have a user-defined population setting. Ditto goes for culture border expansion.

An indicator in the trade window showing how many resources you have from city states that you cannot trade but letting you know you can risk trading away your last owned resource without happiness loss. (+x from city states, for example)

YES!

Combined advisor messages/suggestions to cut down on all the economic advisor messages. Ex. "The following cities need workers:..."
In Hot Seat multiplayer games, allow advisor pop ups etc. If I want to teach my wife to play and she wants to play with me, the advisor pop ups would be useful.

I wasn't even aware that you could get popups/messages from the advisors. Guess I disabled that a long time ago. :D

A way to see tile yield post improvement without a worker being on that tile. Do I want to build that deer camp on tundra or sheep pasture on that plains hill when I'm short on food? etc.

You want the sheep pasture. ;) Honestly, I can see how this would be useful to have (and I'll admit I'm still a little fuzzy on what banana plantations do on various tiles), but I can't see how it could easily be implemented without either requiring more clicks or cluttering up the mouseover info. If it could be done, I wouldn't complain tho.

Unique abilities listed in the Global Diplomacy screen or available on hover etc.

Might be nice, but TBH you tend to memorize who gets what pretty quickly as you play the game.

Graphics
Please oh please fix the incessant scrolling away when it's not my turn! :mad:

I "fixed" this by unchecking the "Full Screen" option under the game settings. The downside is that I can't scroll at all now, only click & drag (or use the minimap).

Anyone else find that some tile improvement images don't load. For example, some farms look like unimproved tiles. Or railroads that look like roads.

Yes. It's not very common overall in my games (maybe I notice it once per three or four games on average), but I do see it. I especially see the problem with farms built along coastlines, now that I think about it. The refresh rate on newly constructed roads is pretty abysmal as well (it might not show up for several turns after I've completed it).

Gameplay
Movement stops upon revealing a previously hidden enemy unit instead of trying to automatically walk around it and being stopped by the Zone of Control.

Good Lord, yes, and while we're at it how about not auto-attacking barbarian units that were hidden in the mist? Why it will stop you in mid-movement if it sees a neutral unit in your path, but not for an enemy one, is beyond perplexing to me.

Good list!

Graphics
Anyone else find that some tile improvement images don't load. For example, some farms look like unimproved tiles. Or railroads that look like roads.
Fortunately there is an easy hotfix for this one:
Change zoom level by one step and return to your previous view, that should cause the game to re-draw the map (and update all improvements to the correct graphics).

User Interface
  1. Notifications for each city's growth and culture border expansion. Often I only receive one notification "Cityname has grown" if multiple cities grow in a turn.
  2. An indicator in the trade window showing how many resources you have from city states that you cannot trade but letting you know you can risk trading away your last owned resource without happiness loss. (+x from city states, for example)
  3. A way to see tile yield post improvement without a worker being on that tile. Do I want to build that deer camp on tundra or sheep pasture on that plains hill when I'm short on food? etc.
If you're not averse to using mods, CivUP takes care of all these issues

Graphics
  1. Anyone else find that some tile improvement images don't load. For example, some farms look like unimproved tiles. Or railroads that look like roads.

Like the poster above said, just zoom in and then zoom back out and they usually refreash.

I've been having a problem in G&K where units that I attack will lose their icon (circle, triangle, shield) after I attack them. I have to hover the mouse over the unit to pull up the combat outcome box just to tell how much Health they have remaining. Also, If I'm zoomed out fully and the unit graphic blends in with the landscape, I sometimes don't even notice that a unit is still there causing me to inadvertantly attack it when I only thought I was moving into the tile. I've lost many units by accidentally attacking a lingering Pikeman with my Horseman because I didn't know it was there.

Like the poster above said, just zoom in and then zoom back out and they usually refreash.

This doesn't work in the instances I'm thinking of--the graphics issue persists through zooming & even through game saves & reloads. As far as I can recall, this only affects improvements on coastal tiles, where the map displays it as a partial land/partial coast hex. It's not a huge issue, though, and it's never affected my gameplay beyond making me mouse over the tile a time or two to make sure I'd improved it.

Tooltips for the unique units and buildings on the Set Up Game menu. I'd like to see what those are alongside the unique ability when deciding which leader to play.

I am in 100% support of this one. I can't count how many times I have backed out of a game setup to look in the civopedia just to find out what the UU's U is. Even if I have played a civ before I don't always remember what each one is.

Tooltips for the unique units and buildings on the Set Up Game menu. I'd like to see what those are alongside the unique ability when deciding which leader to play.

I am in 100% support of this one. I can't count how many times I have backed out of a game setup to look in the civopedia just to find out what the UU's U is. Even if I have played a civ before I don't always remember what each one is.

I've had the game for a year and have yet to play as every civ. I'd also like to see a tooltip. I've even tried hovering over the icons during loading, only to find that does nothing.:(

Amen to that, that bugs me too. The last game I played I didn't even know how the UU was an improvement over the old unit. Was it stronger? Faster? I could have looked it up in the 'pedia, but I decided to just build them and take it on faith that they were good >.>

Notifications for each city's growth and culture border expansion. Often I only receive one notification "Cityname has grown" if multiple cities grow in a turn.

I don't care so much about city growth, but boarder growth would sure be nice to know about. I can't count how many times I was waiting to be able to hook up a lux or strategic resource, and then all of a sudden I see it's in my boarders and I think "huh, I wonder how many turns ago I could have started improving that."

Resource filtering in strategic view. For example, I'd like to see where all the oil tiles are without all the other resources cluttering the screen.

I hadn't thought of this, the concept was not at all in my brain until I read it just now, and yet it's suddenly what I've wanted and needed my entire life. Every time I discover the tech for oil, uranium, etc, I have to make a point of memorizing every single location so I can hook them up if I don't have that many available workers at that moment. And even then I still have to scan the boarders and cracks of my empire to find out where else I'll have that resource soon, since I don't get notified about those (which will eventually bring me back to point number 2). Being able to filter it to point out just that resource would make life easier for sure.

In conclusion, I very much like your ideas and want you to work for firaxis.

This doesn't work in the instances I'm thinking of--the graphics issue persists through zooming & even through game saves & reloads. As far as I can recall, this only affects improvements on coastal tiles, where the map displays it as a partial land/partial coast hex. It's not a huge issue, though, and it's never affected my gameplay beyond making me mouse over the tile a time or two to make sure I'd improved it.

It gets annoying when trying to find the areas that your manual workers need to improve. This is my biggest pet peeve that wasn't fixed with G&K.

Top Bottom