[GS] Canada Discussion Thread

Sorry if I missed it elsewhere, but will there be a gameplay livestream tomorrow to show off canada?

Thank you! Will be the highlight of my day.

I have to say I'm excited, the hockey rinks do seem a tad hilarious but I like the idea of being able to cheaply and efficiently use all that tundra that I normally see as worthless and spawning endless barbs all game.

I'd love to get a nice city going with some tundra farming triangles and st. Basils.

I also wonder how the fact that you don't have to worry about faith and still get all those National Parks will play into Canada

It's interesting. Without needing faith to build parks, Canada could easily bypass religion and focus solely on the culture game. The more likely scenario is that people will take Dance of the Aurora and use the faith savings to purchase great people or units with the Grand Master's Chapel.

Because I think that the Last Best West Ability is actually more representative of Canada as a whole than the Four Faces of Peace which is leader specific.

I'm still confused by your reasoning. Canada as a whole has never been attacked and has never initiated a war in its history. That isn't Laurier specific. The war of 1812 is the only exception to the 'never been attacked' statement, but we were still very much British at that time.

As for the Last Best West, that was a campaign Laurier initiated if I recall correctly. Saskatchewan and Alberta (AKA the prairies) joined Canada during his time in office. He also oversaw the Yukon becoming it's own territory. Resources and farms in the north make perfect sense for him specifically.

Because I think that the Last Best West Ability is actually more representative of Canada as a whole than the Four Faces of Peace which is leader specific.

Four Faces of Peace would have been good for Pearson, but odd for Laurier in my opinion.

Last Best West is good for Laurier, who as we had speculated in the O Canada thread should have an immigration based ability, if there was an immigration system in Civ 6.

At least we now have the answer to the dilemma I posed in the O Canada thread, re what Canada's focus would be in Civ 6 given that Laurier would lead it:

Pearson: diplomatic focus
Champlain: early exploration and fur trading focus
MacDonald: railway focus
Laurier: can't have an immigration focus, so what will it be???

Turns out the answer was "tundra focus".

To me the biggest advantage of the Mountie is that building the park doesn't consume the unit. If that's so, you can just build one and have him drop a park in every city. I think Canada will beeline Eiffel Tower so they have greater flexibility in placing.

To me the biggest advantage of the Mountie is that building the park doesn't consume the unit. If that's so, you can just build one and have him drop a park in every city. I think Canada will beeline Eiffel Tower so they have greater flexibility in placing.
It can only be used once, we see it in the first look that the icon disappears after use.

Were PET or Mackenzie King included in speculation? I'm curious what you guys thought their abilities would be.

MacKenzie King I thought might have some special ability related to predicting climate events. It was the only way I could think of to build an ability around his only distinctive feature: his consulting with his dead mother before making major political decisions. :crazyeye:

Trudeau the Elder is too divisive a character to include in the game. Two large regions of the country strongly dislike him, for two completely different reasons. Plus, his son is now PM, which would make the pick political. Finally, and most importantly, there are far better choices for Canada's leader than Pierre Elliot Trudeau, whose main claim to fame may be that Americans remember him. Choosing him as Canada's leader would be like picking the Hockey Rink as Canada's unique infrastructure … oh, wait. :sad:

Well I'm glad the hockey rink is a unique improvement. It would have been so bad if it had replaced the stadium, it is so expensive and in a district you rarely build.

And it's feels better that Firaxis recognise grass rot hockey in Canada rather than the NHL franchises.

MacKenzie King I thought might have some special ability related to predicting climate events. It was the only way I could think of to build an ability around his only distinctive feature: his consulting with his dead mother before making major political decisions. :crazyeye:

Trudeau the Elder is too divisive a character to include in the game. Two large regions of the country strongly dislike him, for two completely different reasons. Plus, his son is now PM, which would make the pick political. Finally, and most importantly, there are far better choices for Canada's leader than Pierre Elliot Trudeau, whose main claim to fame may be that Americans remember him. Choosing him as Canada's leader would be like picking the Hockey Rink as Canada's unique infrastructure … oh, wait. :sad:

Mackenzie King was pretty crazy, but he's still considered one of our most successful and memorable PMs. Crazy or not, he did a fine job and navigated the horror of WWII.

Pierre Elliot Trudeau is considered our most intelligent PM and was one of the people that formed Canada's identity as international peacekeepers and was a big supporter of both the French and English people of Canada. I come from a very political family, with members on both sides of the aisle and all of us deeply respect the impact he had. It's tough to find a leader that everybody is on board with. Hell, John A McDonald was a nasty drunk supposedly. I do agree that his son being in power is probably a reason to steer clear though.

Trudeau may be loved in the east but he was hated in the west, especially in the prairies. Very few in my family who were alive when Trudeau was PM have a positive thing to say about him. I do not think he would be the ideal Canadian leader in civ.

I've got mixed feelings about the Canada civ. It's very stereotypical. The Mountie UU is alright when you consider that in the early days they were as much a paramilitary force and a way to project government will over an area as an actual police force but why use it to build National Parks? They aren't park rangers or anything like that. The hockey rink thing is basically the Canadian golf course in this game but I suppose it is a very visible thing to the rest of the world that is distinct about us. The tundra farming thing...guess I'm just looking at it from a reality lens. The majority of us live in the southern part of the country for a reason. But I suppose the majority of civs are really not strongly based on their history anyway but on stereotypes so I shouldn't be surprised overall. The diplomatic strength is good and does reflect reality somewhat.

Mackenzie King was pretty crazy, but he's still considered one of our most successful and memorable PMs. Crazy or not, he did a fine job and navigated the horror of WWII.

Pierre Elliot Trudeau is considered our most intelligent PM and was one of the people that formed Canada's identity as international peacekeepers and was a big supporter of both the French and English people of Canada. I come from a very political family, with members on both sides of the aisle and all of us deeply respect the impact he had. It's tough to find a leader that everybody is on board with. Hell, John A McDonald was a nasty drunk supposedly. I do agree that his son being in power is probably a reason to steer clear though.

PET is still a curse word in the West. While yes, less-biased accounts often place him as the top PM in history, he's still pretty hated by a large segment. But he was never really in the running, being both probably too recent for the game, plus being too connected to the current political climate, given Justin.

Trudeau may be loved in the east but he was hated in the west, especially in the prairies. Very few in my family who were alive when Trudeau was PM have a positive thing to say about him. I do not think he would be the ideal Canadian leader in civ.

He's not loved in large parts of the east, either, and while @Wingednosering's assessment of him is likely a reasonable one (even though it glosses over his gross faults that came with his virtues), the time for that assessment is after the people who had to live through his terms as PM have themselves also passed on.

PS MacDonald being half in the bag on the leader screen might be the best part of having him as Leader! There could be a bottle discretely tucked in his suit coat, on the "defeat screen" he can pull it out and take a big swig.

PS MacDonald being half in the bag on the leader screen might be the best part of having him as Leader! There could be a bottle discretely tucked in his suit coat, on the "defeat screen" he can pull it out and take a big swig.
If CdM can't even flourish a glass of wine, I don't think we can have a leader chugging liquor on screen. :p That would be entertaining though. Maybe next Civ game can be rated T? :p

Top Bottom