Canadien Civ?

Originally posted by Vedder

When I say Canadians were industrious in the 1800's, I'm thinking of all of the fur trading, logging, mining and all of the work in the telecommunications field. Canada was one of the chief drivers in connecting the world via telephone and telegraph.

Commercial isn't a bad choice but they weren't the importers/exporters that say, the English or the Indians were around that time.

OK, time for a history lesson.
We are talking about the British North American colony of Lower Canada aka Quebec prior to its attainment of the right to self government. Arguably it does not deserve a civ, but what the hell, if people are making American states as civs, why not Lower Canada?
This was before Canada made its great contributions to the world.
Commercial would suit a Lower Canada civ because of their massive fur trading network.
Religious because of their dedication to Catholicism in the face of Protestant occupation.

Time to leave Sayournara, or actually read the ****ING posts.
LOWER CANADA
AROUND 1837
CATHOLICS IN A PROTESTANT EMPIRE
Get it?

Please people actually read posts before responding to them.

CIV = LOWER CANADA
MID 1800S
REBELLIONS 1837

That is my reason for possibly making them militaristic, but I digress, I probably won't.

A little fight doesn't mean that a civ is militaristic. Otherwise, all civs would be militaristic.

Rebellion des patriotes was just desesperate farmers who took anything that could be weapons and TRY to fight. We are far from great warriors nations as Zulus, Romans or Mongols.

I'm not saying I will make them militaristic, I am merely pointing out a major conflict in Canadien history.

Originally posted by LesCanadiens
Time to leave Sayournara, or actually read the ****ING posts.
LOWER CANADA
AROUND 1837
CATHOLICS IN A PROTESTANT EMPIRE
Get it?

Read your own thread title and stop harping on innocent posters. You opened a whole can of worms by calling the thread Canadien Civ as opposed to Lower Canada.

Hi LesCanadiens, nice to see an anglo interested in french Canda (I'm from Quebec). For lower Canada of the 1800's, I don't think you should make them militaristic. True, there's been the patriots incident but it was more of a revolt (civil unrest) than a "real" war (conquest of a neighbour I mean).

Scientific? No way.
Industrial? Maybe. Remember that Montreal was the industrial center of Canada back then.
Expansionnist? No way. For those who think about maps of french "lands" before the conquest, those were lands owned by the french crown. They weren't really settled (except louisiana maybe) and certainly were never part of lower Canada.
Religious. Yes, definitely.
Commercial. Same as industrial. But somehow, industrial seems to reflect more the idea of poor (french) guys lumberjacking in the woods all winter and farming in the summer. The commercial activity in lower Canada was, for the most part, done by english speakers.

You could say I'm a little biased but I'd go for religious and industrial. Then again, most people who settled north america had to work pretty hard.

As for a special unit, maybe a patriot, treats all squares as roads. Replaces musketman, ADM=2,4,1. Good mobility, low attack.

Leader Papineau, that sounds ok.

quote:

the whole world is better trained than the US army hense all the friendly fire! there are people in Iraq celebrating cause they are not gonna get shot at and the over here in England our armed forces don't want to go to war cause they'll get shot in the back. Hey i got a good idea someone should make a friendly fire mod for the North American Scenario just for US states....HEHEHE

Originally posted by Plume
Hi LesCanadiens, nice to see an anglo interested in french Canda (I'm from Quebec). For lower Canada of the 1800's, I don't think you should make them militaristic. True, there's been the patriots incident but it was more of a revolt (civil unrest) than a "real" war (conquest of a neighbour I mean).

Scientific? No way.
Industrial? Maybe. Remember that Montreal was the industrial center of Canada back then.
Expansionnist? No way. For those who think about maps of french "lands" before the conquest, those were lands owned by the french crown. They weren't really settled (except louisiana maybe) and certainly were never part of lower Canada.
Religious. Yes, definitely.
Commercial. Same as industrial. But somehow, industrial seems to reflect more the idea of poor (french) guys lumberjacking in the woods all winter and farming in the summer. The commercial activity in lower Canada was, for the most part, done by english speakers.

You could say I'm a little biased but I'd go for religious and industrial. Then again, most people who settled north america had to work pretty hard.

As for a special unit, maybe a patriot, treats all squares as roads. Replaces musketman, ADM=2,4,1. Good mobility, low attack.

Leader Papineau, that sounds ok.

I think Commercial, because of the fur trading network, but probably not industrious, as the Canadien people did not wish to take in the new concepts of the industrial revolution.
Religious, yes definetly.
And as I said before, I won't make them militaristic. It'll take me several months, but expect a Canadien civ based on that time period in a while.
Besides, not everyone from Quebec is bad. Just the separtists :)

Top Bottom