Cant connect to gamespy - No Firewall

DazL

Chieftain
Heyas,

I recently bought a copy of Civ IV through Ebay. Its an original copy. After installing and upgading to the latest patch, I tried connecting to a multiplayer game.

The create account form acts weird to me, as in doesnt react to me hitting enter. I tried to create an account on gamespy, tested it there and I could login. But ingame when I use the info, I cant login either. The form just stays on the screen and nothing happens.

Is there some sort of unique key on the cd that prevents using a 2nd hand copy of Civ IV to play online?

I disabled my firewall for checking and my pc is in a DMZ, so no port issues I guess.

Anybody got an idea where to look?

Thanks in advance,
DazL

I can't say I have a solution for you, but you're not alone. There's another thread here about this problem. I was wondering if it was a router compatibility issue, but I guess if you're in the DMZ, it disproves that theory. And I'm having this problem with a copy I bought from EB, so it has nothing to do with getting it second-hand.

EDIT: Nevermind, I see you already found the other thread.

Just want to say i got the same thing as you all...

I've played CIV I, CIV II, CIV III, and now CIV IV but am thinking about not buying Warlords... where's my multi.

Hi,

After 2 hours of Civ4 debugging I got multiplayer working with version 1.61! I started from exactly same problem, login did not do anything but halted for a second.

I would say the problem solving falls in two categories in this order:
1) Connectivity (firewall) issue resolving
2) GameSpy account resolving

Firewalls and port configurations are discussed widely around the forum. I disabled Windows firewall, configured Norton carefully to allow all UDP 2056 traffic and other TCP traffic (just in case) specified by gamespy. I also checked my ADSL router is not blocking any traffic. All set!

Next I set on debug logging in Civilization 4 ini file to:

; Enable synchronization logging
SynchLog = 1
; Enable the logging system
LoggingEnabled = 1

This allowed me to see in logs following entry:
ERR: The uniquenick provided is incorrect.

I googled it to do with GameSpy. Now I new connection works just fine! My girlfriend (civ fanatic!) had created an account earlier today in www.gamespyid.com which I tried. Did not work. I also tried one older account. No luck. After some searching I found a post (thanks!) about a solution: no account created OUTSIDE the Civ4 game will work. I guess Civ4 account creation provides some data normal www.gamespyid.com registration does not. Ok, I went and created another account now INSIDE Civ4 which worked with no problems and I found myself in multiplayer lobby! Tested once that login also now worked. Debug off and to play!

I hope I have been able to give you some ideas.

hi stanmons

i dont quite understand what you are saying :( can u rephrase it so it sounds english to me? ( i dont understand that much about computer language ). i am having the same problem too with this stupid multiplayer, so please help!!

Top Bottom