"Cap-weighted" Indexes: a flawed investment strategy?

Mise

isle of lucy
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8459838.stm

I can't be bothered to format it properly, so best viewed on original website.
Spoiler :
Can stock market indexes be trusted?

By Martin Webber
Editor, BBC World Service business news

Follow another index and the weather may well lift

Many investors have been left badly disillusioned by the apparently dismal performance of the stock market over the past decade.
Closely followed stock market indexes such as the S&P 500 of leading US shares or the FTSE 100 index of leading UK shares fell 24% and 22% respectively during the past decade.
But lots of shares have actually done pretty well and there are indexes out there that have seen a rise rather than sharp drops during the period.
Flawed methodology?
Robert Arnott, chairman of the investment firm Research Affiliates, believes leading index measures are "flawed".
So he has devised his own alternative benchmarks to determine investment opportunities in the stock market.

Both the S&P 500 and the FTSE 100 are "market capitalisation weighted" or "cap-weighted" for short, Mr Arnott explains.
Under this system, companies that are highly valued by the stock market get the bulk of the weighting in the index.
By contrast, in the indexes developed by Mr Arnott, companies are weighted by their fundamental importance to the economy, as measured by their sales, profits, book value and dividends.
Using Mr Arnott's criteria means a different set of shares are included in an index that he has named RAFI 100, short for Research Affiliates Fundamental Index.
During the last decade, indexes using such criteria rose 27% in the US and 2% in the UK.
"This was a lost decade for cap weighted indices. It was not a lost decade for equity investors who were not drawn into bubbles and savaged by crashes by relying on cap weighting," Mr Arnott insists.
"The notion that just because a stock has doubled in price, you ought to own twice as much of it - the flaw in that is self-evident. It doesn't make sense. And that's what cap-weighting does."
One important implication of this is that fund managers who "beat" the conventional indexes have little to boast about.
"If a fund manager fails to beat cap weighting, they are doing rather badly indeed," Mr Arnott believes.
Popular tool
London investors were first introduced to the FTSE 100 index in 1984. Up to then they had been wedded to looking at the FT 30 index, a sedate benchmark going back to 1935, which was still being calculated only once an hour.
Robert Arnott has devised his own share indices

The FTSE 100 was revolutionary in its time, being calculated in real time and with constantly changing mixes of the biggest shares.
Market professionals say the FTSE 100 is a "neutral benchmark", because, by definition, it broadly represents the total value of the market in all investors' portfolios.
But there are also inherent risks built into any investment strategy seeking to mirror it since shares are then often bought during or after a rally since a rise in the price of a particular stock increases its weighting in the index, which in turn triggers further demand for the stock.
Investors can thus end up buying shares that seem overvalued when compared with underlying fundamentals, which means they are hit harder if there is a sudden fall - as was seen recently with shares in companies linked to the technology or banking sectors.
The RAFI Indexes have become a popular alternative tool for investors, according to Tony Raw, managing director Europe, FTSE Group.
"There has been a steady uptake in their usage within the global investment market," he says, though he rejects any assertion that the FTSE 100 index is in any way inferior to the RAFI 100.
An "investment strategy"
David Blitzer, chairman of Standard and Poor's index committee, insists that the importance of his firm's S&P 500 index will endure.
"The cheapest way of investing in the US market is a fund that tracks the S&P 500," says Mr Blitzer, who argues that tracking any other index would involve higher fees.
Mr Blitzer's view is that the fundamental indexes are all about "taking an investment strategy", which may or may not be successful in any given year.
In the United States, the S&P 500 has gradually - but not completely - displaced the Dow Jones Industrial Average for investors' attention.
The Dow, which includes 30 leading listed US companies, goes back to 1896. It has a much more stable group of constituents, so it is less volatile than the S&P 500.
This stability meant the Dow only fell 8% over the past decade, compared with the S&P 500's 24% tumble.
BOOM AND BUST 1995-2009

US MARKETS:
RAFI* US 1000 up 239%
S&P Equal weight up 217%
S&P 500 up 143%

UK MARKETS:
RAFI* UK 100 up 116%
FTSE 100 up 77%

US & EUROPE MARKETS:

BBC Euram 20 index up 172%

*companies in index weighted by economic size, not stock market value
But might more "conservative" mixes of shares in indexes such as the Dow, while avoiding the worst effects of falling markets, also miss out on the booms?
After all, the best returns during periods of market euphoria often come from investments in start-up companies that have yet to return any profits.
No evidence can be conclusive, but one good test is to take the period from 1995-2009, which took in years of both boom and bust.
Taking these 15 years, the FTSE 100's 77% gain is well behind the 116% advance for Mr Arnott's FTSE RAFI index. And in the US, the S&P 500's 143% gain is also a pale shadow of Mr Arnott's RAFI US 1000 index, which rose 239%.
An alternative way of escaping market capitalisation is the S&P Equal Weight index, whereby investors get equal exposure to all 500 stocks. This index rose 217% from 1995-2010, again beating by a mile the much more commonly used S&P 500.
It doesn't make sense to use these cap weighted indices as a strategy

Robert Arnott,
Research Associates

Another index that differs from those based on market capitalisation is the BBC World Service index, which monitors an equal investment made in January 2000 in 20 major shares in the US and Europe. This index is another good performer - up 172% over the same 15 years.
Stock market image
If the FTSE 100 and S&P 500 are faulty benchmarks, then it does matter.
London's most watched share index is the FTSE

If shares have a worse image than they deserve, then ordinary investors will be unnecessarily encouraged to invest in property and other assets, while pension schemes may load up on bonds rather than shares, leaving their pensioners little reward from economic growth.
Many people invest in stock market tracker funds that try to match the market indices and in 99% of cases this means trying to match the market capitalisation indexes.
Mr Arnott says that over 50 years, a fundamentally weighted index wins 2-4% per year over market cap indices.
"That's a huge margin of victory for a dumb index," he asserts.
"That's without interviews with management, no careful stock selection, just asking how big is the business.
"This (index tracking investment) is a $7 trillion industry. It doesn't make sense to use these cap weighted indices as a strategy,"
Mr Arnott says assets held in his and similar "fundamental" indexes are increasing, hitting $28bn in 2009 from $17bn a year earlier.
But many fund managers remain sceptical.
Patrick Rudden, a senior portfolio manager with the global asset manager, Alliance Bernstein, says there are good reasons why indexes based on fundamentals rather than on market value "have not made great inroads".
Subjective judgements are needed in deciding how to weight by fundamentals, he explains.
This, he says, can lead to greater dealing costs, as tracking funds need to try to match regular reweightings of a fundamental index.
Hence, most investors who want to steer clear of investment strategies based on cap-weighted indexes are most likely to simply employ an active fund manager rather than trying to mirror any other index, Mr Rudden believes.
Essentially, it's saying that by weighting an index by market capitalisation (i.e. shares * share price), you end up doing a sort of "double counting" when share prices rise. The point of index trackers is to diversify your stock holdings and thereby reduce risk; what Mr Arnott is saying is that cap-weighting ends up chasing bubbles to a certain degree, meaning you end up being far riskier than you think you are.

On the whole, I agree with Mr Rudden that judging the fundamentals of a company is inherently subjective, meaning costly fund managers push up the price. To my mind, then, Mr Arnott's objection would be better remedied via an equally weighted index (i.e. buying the same $ value of shares in all S&P 500 or FTSE 100/250/All Share companies).

What say ye, oh great prophets of CFC? Is an equally weighted index the superior choice for the lazy investor?

Also, since I have your attention, I've been reading about EFTs dressed as hedgefunds, i.e. EFTs that pool investments from invidual, small investors to conduct similar activities as hedgefunds. I forget what they're called now, but are these a good idea?

Oh, Mr. Arnott. This is making the rounds in several places. It's called Valuation Informed Indexing.

If you wish to see a community of personal finance bloggers lay the smacketh down on this idea, go here:
http://www.getrichslowly.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4882

These fundamentally weighted indexes have higher turnover costs and higher management costs than indexes. So they must return more vs. the index to even have a shot at it. And these FWI's are weighted towards small-caps which are more volatile when the economy is volatile.

Essentially, Arnott's theory works when back-tested, but so do many others. Back-testing does not predict the future. Given that one is less costly than the other, I think simple index works just as well for the average person investing money for retirement.

Admittedly, I am a Boglehead. And I think that any system that tries to impose some rule inevitably must break down because investing is done by humans. And that has its own problems.

I do have several ETFs that track Asian Markets. They do pool money, but their transactions costs are low and turnover is as well. For funds, I look at transactions cost, turnover, and return (10 yr). If I can answer any of your ETF questions, let me know.

What do you mean by "simple index" - is that what the article called an Equal Weighted index?

Also, what's a Boglehead?

Someone who really enjoys Boggle?

What are indexes? Are they like indices?

(LOL at firefox telling me that indices isn't spelt correctly and that indexes is :lol:).

EDIT: Indexes is a verb though ;) So it's correct about that being a correct spelling.

The BBC article used indexes. If it's good enough for the BBC, it's good enough for me.

Blimey, the BBC is slipping. The FT seems to use indices though, so there is hope yet.

Next you'll be saying matrixes and dominatrixes as well, it's a slippery slope.

Well, where to start?

First, let me start by saying that indexing can be a useful tool and buy and hold is a better strategy than none at all.

Though I don't invest in indexes (anti-Boglehead), it would seem equally weighted indexing could make sense (if the costs are appropriate). It would seem you would have the opportunity to capture mid-cap emerging business that the S&P 500 will give very little allocation to.

Here's something I've picked up through my 25 years of investing that I've kept to keep this in perspective...
Spoiler :
Of the 500 companies that appeared on Fortune 500's first list, in 1955, only 71 hold a place on the list today.

Nearly 2,000 companies have appeared on the list since its inception, and most are long gone from it. Just because you make the list once guarantees nothing about your ability to endure.

Some of the most powerful companies on today's list—businesses like Intel, Microsoft, Apple, Dell, and Google—grew from zero to great upon entirely new technologies, bumping venerable old companies off the list. Robert Noyce invented the integrated circuit in 1958, three years after the first Fortune 500. Dozens of companies on this year's list did not even exist in 1955.

Some of the most celebrated companies in history no longer even appear on the 500, having fallen from great to good to gone from the list—companies like Scott Paper, Zenith, Rubbermaid, Chrysler, Teledyne, Warner Lambert, and Bethlehem Steel—most often because they capitulated their independence, but sometimes because they outright died.

In 1965, Nucor Corp., then less than a hundredth the size of Bethlehem Steel, stood on the verge of bankruptcy. Eventually breaking onto the Fortune 500 at No. 481 in 1980. Today, in the brutally competitive steel industry, Nucor retains a solid No. 151 on the Fortune 500, with 41 years of consecutive profitability. As a testament to the durability of Nucor's culture, the annual report continues a long–held tradition of naming every Nucor employee, more than 18,000 individuals.

In the early 1970s, Ames Department Stores and Wal–Mart looked like identical twins. They had the exact same business model of rural discount retailing. In fact, Sam Walton copied much of his original model from Ames, and Ames later copied operating ideas from Sam. The only significant difference was that Ames operated in the Northeast, while Wal–Mart moved in concentric circles from Arkansas.

Today Ames does not even exist, while Wal–Mart holds the No. 1 spot on the Fortune 500, with $379 billion in revenue. The point: Here we have two companies facing almost identical circumstances with identical trajectories up to a moment in history, yet one falls and the other continues to rise. The root cause simply cannot be attributed to changes in their environment.

Both Ames and Wal–Mart had strong entrepreneurial founders who guided their early growth, but whereas Sam Walton passed the company to a home–grown insider, Ames replaced its entrepreneurial leader with an outsider. In 1988, Ames acquired Zayre, aiming to double the size of the company in a single year. Wal–Mart retained focus on small towns before making an evolution into urban sites; Ames revolutionized itself overnight into urban retailing and catapulted itself into decline. Wal–Mart created its own success, and Ames caused its own death.

Many experts say that passive investing in a index like the S&P 500 is the only sensible way to manage your money. Nobel Prize winners in economics point to enormous works of the Efficient Market Hypothesis (EMH), that no one can beat the markets over the long haul. Academic research studies overwhelmingly endorse buy and hold.

Question is do you dare to challenge investment sages like Bogle, Siegel, and Malkiel who support this long-standing investment principle of indexing and buy and hold.

Can they all be wrong?
My answer is, indubitably, yes but honestly most investors aren't willing to challenge that thesis. Because that's not what's being asked for in the OP, all I can say is form a strategy, be disciplined and stick to it.

But when you buy a cap-weighted index fund, aren't you kind of free-riding on the "collective wisdom" of those clever investment people? Sure, you'll be much later to the game, and you'll have foregone a lot of the benefit from that, but you'll make a lazy return. In terms of yield, yeah, sure, you probably can make more from educated stock picking than from indexes, but in terms of return on personal investment -- i.e. time -- an index is a winner. This coming from a guy who'd rather play computer games in his spare time than play stock markets :)

Also, I don't think anyone believes in EMH anymore!

Whomp,

The problem with the OP's claim of cap weighting is that it is more volatile and has higher transactions costs. For anyone who does not want to be actively involved in their retirement portfolio, index or lifecycle funds are the best choice. If you're not going to put in the time to actively monitor then there is no point in active funds for that investor.

Now, that being said, if you can exploit information asymmetries and market imperfections, yes, you can beat passive investing. You better be good at it thought. Probably the best shot at beating passive investing is a value investor approach.

I maintain two buckets for retirement funds.

One is passive. That way, it does what it does.
The other is an actively managed fund of 10 stocks that I monitor. I do not trade often. But I do strive for a higher return. I've only done this active management for 4 years, but I have 4 years of beating the SP500, and returned 14% in the time of the market collapse. I'd recommend Ben Graham's book to start out with

AND

No one believes in a strong EMH anymore.

Mise-fair enough. As long as you have a strategy that's great.

I chose to pay attention at your age, due to great mentors, and afforded me the opportunity to assume a lot more risk than I do today. Time is a beautiful at your age.

Oops duped post. Ill fix it later.

Time does matter Whomp, but one thing I mention in CoffeeCents is that when we are young we can manage our career or our money, and its tough to do both. It appears to me that establishing strong savings with index funds while freeing up time to improve one's human capital increases returns far beyond a few % points in active trading.

We earn the bulk of our money off our career. Optimizing that is very important!

We earn the bulk of our money off our career. Optimizing that is very important!
Generally speaking, yes, but I know a lot of people my age who made crazy money with investments. Several of the most negotiated stocks on the São Paulo exchange valued by around 1000% between 1995 and 2008... and I am not talking of some small caps, but basically the leading corporations in the country. The price of an apartment in cities like Vítória and Belo Horizonte all grew by around 5 times in the same period, and they're still rising.

Granted, those sort of opportunities are more likely in an emerging market than a well established one like the US or the UK, but I bet there are great opportunities there as well.

So while I agree with you that right after graduation one should spend more time managing the career, I think as soon as one builds up a decent reserve (not big, just decent), active investment management becomes a great idea. And beating the S&P 500 should not be that hard, if you're willing to take some risks.

JH--I'm not talking about day trading since that is a career.

What I am suggesting is raising the risk profile by learning the tools that are available. IE margin, shorts, protective puts etc.

Luiz

Evidence suggests that beating the market is very hard. Otherwise, all the mutual fund managers would be beating it (only 20% do each year)

The broker firm I use releases every monday a weekly portfolio, which they update based on fundamentals and what they perceive to be1 overpriced or underpriced stocks. This is how it compares to Ibov (Brazil's Brazil's Dow Jones) and Ibrx-50 (Brazil's S&P):

Spoiler :

They're the line above all others. So since May 09 they have consistently beaten the market.

Top Bottom