capitulation

visithwy61

Chieftain
if a civ agrees to become your vassal is there any way to declare war on them while they are your vassal?

No, they need to break free from you first for you to be able to declare war on them. If you vassalised them by force they can only break free if certain conditions are meet (shown when hoovering with the mouse over the civ to show diploinfo about it.)

You could however "cheat" and enter the worldbuilder and remove the vassal flag. But well, that's not a game mechanic...

Or you could try gifting some units to the vassal's neighbor, and then declaring war :p

You can keep demanding resources from them. If they reject, war is automatically declared. I've never experienced this myself, but even if you can't go to war with them, at least you can get resources for free.

I usually do the demand wars pretty successfully. It comes down to this--demand every resource they have, including gpt. Just keep demanding. In about 10 turns, cancel them and demand again. Don't cancel strategic resources though--(metal, fuel). You can really hurt a capitulated vassal and force them to say no--and then it's war and they're unprepared.

yea i didnt think there was a way, but i thought id make sure....ive been wrong about things like that before. i think it would be kinda cool if you could declare war on a vassal. seeing as how the people are supposed to be under your protection it would warrant a negative diplomatic rating among the other civs. it could work on a proximity and civic basis too. proximity to your civ or the vassal could be -2 or 3 rating while across the globe youd suffer a -1 hit with the civs. certain civics could garner a bigger diplomatic hit as well. a caveat to that though could be that among aggressive civs there would be no penalty and maybe some circumstance where youd get a diplomatic boost (although i cant think of any examples offhand). any thoughts?

yea i didnt think there was a way, but i thought id make sure....ive been wrong about things like that before. i think it would be kinda cool if you could declare war on a vassal. seeing as how the people are supposed to be under your protection it would warrant a negative diplomatic rating among the other civs. it could work on a proximity and civic basis too. proximity to your civ or the vassal could be -2 or 3 rating while across the globe youd suffer a -1 hit with the civs. certain civics could garner a bigger diplomatic hit as well. a caveat to that though could be that among aggressive civs there would be no penalty and maybe some circumstance where youd get a diplomatic boost (although i cant think of any examples offhand). any thoughts?

Diplo adjustments kind of lose their punch with multiplayer. I would start with 1 :mad: in each of your cities, more if for some reason you have their culture in your city. If you have other vassals, I'd say -2 with them (they fear you may do the same to them). More - relations beyond the typical "you declared war on us" seems appropriate but useless. Maybe a refusal to capitulate also. Just a thought or two.

LM

One thing you can do in BTS is 'liberate' back the cities you've taken from him. If you don't already have a huge empire this might put him back over the 50% thresholds to break free.

Top Bottom