Car Speed Limits

Should all cars have a top speed of 80 mph?

• Yes

Votes: 6 17.6%
  • No

Votes: 28 82.4%

• Total voters

Skwink

FRIIIIIIIIIITZ
Nobody needs a car that can go over 80 mph, so I propose we limit the maximum speed of a car to 80 mph.

no I don wanna that cuz I wanna go faster than 200km per hour always on Autobahn

Race tracks that are open to the public.

I think there should be a separate "enter at your own risk" highway with no speed limit and a high toll to enter to pay for the emergency response requirements

I need one that can go faster, in case the police want to illegitimately arrest me.

As well, I need one that can go faster is case some bad guys have illegal cars (and you know they will) and want to chase me.

Also, speed limits on rural highways in the US are 80mph.

I realize that you started this thread in response to a position of gun control advocates: "there's no reason to have a gun that can mow down a sidewalk, so why is it legal?" But this response fails epically because there are already speed limits in place. And why are they in place? For the very reason you sarcastically posited in your op. There is no real reason for anyone to go over 80mph and it's dangerous therefore we have put laws in place to limit that. Now notice the second part of that sentence. It's dangerous. It's not outlawed simply as a result of lack of necessity, but because it's dangerous and there's no need to go that fast.

If cars were capped at 80 mph, then those stretches of crowded highway where 50% of drivers are going 80 mph would be extremely dangerous. You would have no dynamic speed control except to slow down. Sometimes to maneuver safely you need to be able to speed up.

If cars were capped at 80 mph, then those stretches of crowded highway where 50% of drivers are going 80 mph would be extremely dangerous. You would have no dynamic speed control except to slow down. Sometimes to maneuver safely you need to be able to speed up.

I've driven cars that don't go faster than 130 km/h, I've never felt like I was in extreme danger while driving them.

I've driven cars that don't go faster than 130 km/h, I've never felt like I was in extreme danger while driving them.

You've never driven the Capitol Corridor in California have you ;)
(Or even the MacArthur Maze on certain days...)

I'm not that optimistic, I think it will be at least 2-3 decades before we start seeing the first controlled areas where only robotic cars are allowed.
I don't think controlling it will be necessary, I would love it if my car drove itself.

Or 95. It seems to be one or the other on the 405.

I need one that can go faster, in case the police want to illegitimately arrest me.

As well, I need one that can go faster is case some bad guys have illegal cars (and you know they will) and want to chase me.

:goodjob: Love it.

Top Bottom