caravel can't pillage

Astat

Warlord
so i've just sent my first caravel into enemy waters, but i obviously can't pillage their clam and fishing boats?
do i need a tech, or are caravels stacked with humanist seamen or what is it? :(

Astat said:
so i've just sent my first caravel into enemy waters, but i obviously can't pillage their clam and fishing boats?
do i need a tech, or are caravels stacked with humanist seamen or what is it? :(

No, caravels can't pillage.

Many of us found this out the hard way too.

thx, sahkuhnder.. doesnt sound sensible to me, even crappy trireme can pillage already! :o

Astat said:
doesnt sound sensible to me, even crappy trireme can pillage already! :o

yes, but can that crappy trireme enter closed waters?

makes perfect sense, caravel's for exploring only

syn said:
makes perfect sense, caravel's for exploring only
exploration vessel that will regularly kick a trireme's butt..? :) caravels were more like multi-purpose vessels that did have weaponry.. as did every ship back then.

Its purely to stop the following:- send 10 caravels into a neutral opponent's
territory, line them up with their fish/ clams/ whales/ crabs whatever, and pillage their whole sea industry in one turn in a sneak attack.

No more "open border" sneak attacks in CIv IV thank god

They cant? Well can they block enemy cities from using water tiles?
I havent found a real use for caravels.....

sweetpete said:

If you feel like getting the circumnavigation bonus and aren't planing on getting Astronomy soon, build 2 of them and send them out in oposite directions. Once you finish the circumnavigation (or someone else gets it making your effort pointless), set them on explore and forget about them.

meisen said:
It's just poor game design by people ignorant of history. That's all it is.

now don't go there

we are still talking about a game, aren't we?
either you can pillage or you can explore, makes sense to me

caravels can attack enemy units, just not pillage. The sneak attack of pillaging would be very annoying.

I always envision the circumnavigation race as if it were the America's cup. Watch out for the Aussies!

what is the circumnavigation bonus anyway. I've never bothered.

The circumnavigation bmus is a +1 movement for all your naval units. This includes workboats to battleships.

The workboat bonus is knid of nice since it often saves you a turn during deployment.

If playing a archipelago map, the bonus means that your enemy cannot run away from you and you can always run away from your opponent. Often it gives you the edge on a maneuver, i.e attack and return to shelter.

If you have to move a ship halfway across the map prior to your opponent, the circumnavigation bonus is key.

sweetpete said:
They're of use when you play an archipelago map. Some islands you can't get to with a trireme. Caravels let you explore for elbow room beyond your "local" set of islands. After sending out 2 in opposite directions to get that circumnavigation bonus, future caravels can carry scouts/explorers to new lands while you're trying to get galleons. Missionaries, too, if you feel like spreading religion.

Top Bottom