Catherine and Tundra

Treso

Warlord
It seems like always I play as Catherine I have a crappy coastal-tundra start.

We can use this thread to discuss how act in Tundra starts as well.

Thanks,

Well, you can always disable start bias, that will immediately fix your issue...

But if you want to play normal, you're always going to start in or near the tundra because with the start bias on, that is where Russia goes. Unless you are playing on enormous maps, you might only need to more 2-5 tiles away from the tundra to get plush land. If you move 2 away on the first turn, then on the second turn you can settle or even move to a third tile and settle- or go one more turn to 4-5 tiles. Worst case, you lose out on one or two turns and eliminate the tundra issue. Obviously using your warrior to scout for city placement is key, you shouldn't send him hut-hunting until you've found your city tile.

Just be careful when moving not to distance all of your luxury resources that start around your capital. Typically they are doubled up, just make sure you still have access to them, or plan to get them with another city you found later.

This is balanced by Russia's production bonus on strategic resources and the double quantities of iron, uranium, and whatever else.

This is balanced by Russia's production bonus on strategic resources and the double quantities of iron, uranium, and whatever else.

It also gets unbalanced with Cathy moving her capital a bit and conquering cities in more fertile lands :)

I always disable start bias. Balance issues are irrelevant because the AI is horrible anyway, and I can't stand being pigeon holed into the same every each time I play a particular civ. Having the same neighbors... blah blah blah.

another thought: what are the 'start bias" for each civ?

Some are obvious. If you play Aztec, it will be near jungles with some lakes; if you play Iroquois, it will be near forests; and if you play Inca, it will be near hills. Others are less obvious. Arabs usually start near deserts...

With Catherine, your initial start is probably going to be OK. Make sure you explore the territory around your capital, so you can expand into the best territory.

Catherine in Tundra, though, is a big advantage, since that is where you find many of your strategic resources - Catherine's bread and butter. Ally maritime CSs for the food bonuses.

another thought: what are the 'start bias" for each civ?

Inca - Hills
Spain - Coastal
Mongolia - flat lands
Egypt - no forest or jungle
Arabia- Desert
America - river
Aztecs - Lakes
Russia - Tundra
Iroquois - Forest

I think thats it. I may have missed one. A lot of civs don't have one.

This might be random rather than programmed but in my games I've noticed that Catherine has a higher than average chance of starting all alone on an island on continents maps. Anyone else had this experience?

As for starting in the tundra, while it can feel crappy, there are advantages. Not only for the resources but because you won't have enemy CIVs to the north and south of you. I find this makes warmongering easier as you're not at risk from pincer attacks.

Inca - Hills
Spain - Coastal
Mongolia - flat lands
Egypt - no forest or jungle
Arabia- Desert
America - river
Aztecs - Lakes
Russia - Tundra
Iroquois - Forest

I think thats it. I may have missed one. A lot of civs don't have one.

Romans don't seem to have one. My last game with them started in South America with lots of jungle and I must say: Really love jungle since then. You are a little slower in the beginning, cause you can't even build farms before Bronze Working, but on the long run it's great in the jungle, even if it's beyond me, what the +2 science for jungle hexs should simulate in real world. :) But it's a very good balance for a jungle start.

Romans don't seem to have one. My last game with them started in South America with lots of jungle and I must say: Really love jungle since then. You are a little slower in the beginning, cause you can't even build farms before Bronze Working, but on the long run it's great in the jungle, even if it's beyond me, what the +2 science for jungle hexs should simulate in real world. :) But it's a very good balance for a jungle start.

Maybe it's research in the rain forest or something? Finding the cure for cancer amid the zillions of undiscovered plants and animals, etc.

Maybe?

Top Bottom