Caveman 2 Cosmos (ideas/discussions thread)

Changing iAIWeight is like taking a sledge hammer to the current ai code for choosing what to build. Koshling asked us not to use it because of the problems it causes.

I think at the moment Units are to cheap and way to much Gold is available. I played a bit A New Dawn and it is a huge difference i suggest you do the same to see what i mean.

Gamespeed is Snail and i would post the save but i deleted it:(.

Please don't make C2C into AND, please. :please:

AND is as dry as a bone early game. Once you get past Classical into Medieval it starts to come alive. C2C does not suffer from that dryness early game.

JosEPh

Please don't make C2C into AND, please. :please:

AND is as dry as a bone early game. Once you get past Classical into Medieval it starts to come alive. C2C does not suffer from that dryness early game.

JosEPh

I think his issues are more with what happens in C2C past Classical rather than how it operates before that age.

I think C2C's prehistoric era is pretty good, if you overlook some useless resources and a few unnecessary techs. The sheer quantity of gold in the game becomes unstoppable though, it seems.

I think C2C's prehistoric era is pretty good, if you overlook some useless resources and a few unnecessary techs. The sheer quantity of gold in the game becomes unstoppable though, it seems.

Why is everyone getting crazy about the gold? Look at even the smallest towns (at least int he USA( they have so much money they dont even know what to do with it, ie: Build ballparks, waterparks, buy useless land for millions (just to let everyone know its the TOWNs acreage and probably a ton more stuff, and thats towns of 2000 or less.

Because it's a strategy game? If you have essentially unlimited gold, you've excised a vast chunk of strategy from the game. As amusing as it was to blow 70,000 gold in one turn in my late mediaeval English game (just flat-out buying a wonder), that really can't possibly be considered anything but wildly unbalanced.

Running 100% science for 80% or more of the game (and still gaining money!) just isn't strategic at all.

Why is everyone getting crazy about the gold? Look at even the smallest towns (at least int he USA( they have so much money they dont even know what to do with it, ie: Build ballparks, waterparks, buy useless land for millions (just to let everyone know its the TOWNs acreage and probably a ton more stuff, and thats towns of 2000 or less.

Look at debt of these towns :)

I think the prehistoric and ancient eras are playing well at the moment. There are still a number of major things to add to those eras, so I would prefer them to stay basically as they are.

I do think that for the later eras we need to look at some buildings and change the amount of income they provide. Early on making shoes is adding to the wealth of the nation but latter shoes are no longer a luxuary but a necessity so yes the people making the shoes will be making money but the nation wont be making as much wealth as before.

I think it would be an idea for resources to obsolete, the most notable example of which being ash and charcoal in any era other than the Prehistoric (and I'm still not at all sold on them being resources at all).

Apart from the gameplay issues already mentioned - which I agree with.

In RL not every country is as lucky and as rich as the USA.

In the UK - County Councils are starved of money (coupled with Government expenditure restrictions.) - so services are always being reduced.

Public toilets (comfort stations) are closed down. Parks are left to become overrun with weeds etc. Educational facilities such as libaries are either closed or severly resticted in opening times. The list goes on. :eek:

Simply put, the game needs to be challenging on a number of levels and to have gold be unchallenging is simply bad design.

However, it's a VERY difficult thing to balance (and keep balanced) as the mod constantly changes so we've had some better balances and some worse throughout development.

Again, I think the main thing right now that's making gold so easy later in the game after Ancient is that we aren't making keeping the education levels up challenging enough. Simple fix to apply a population based drain similar to crime's population based increase.

Have you considered adopting the new maintenance formula's that were added to RAND?

Please don't bring back GDP civics.

I do like that option to double the xp needed for leveling. Is it possible to make that apply to JUST the human, not everyone? That would make it a tougher game over all, facing higher level AI units, while yours take longer to get those levels.

That's an interesting idea... I could make another option to then half the xp needed for the AI... Would have wider effect and not rely on the aforementioned extra hp option to operate. Would have the same effect in the end to play with both.

So how do I expand to three cities without collapsing my economy in SVN?

The first two have the Pretribemaint which reduces maintenace by 90-%

So how do I expand to three cities without collapsing my economy in SVN?

The first two have the Pretribemaint which reduces maintenace by 90-%

Have some gold in the treasury. Then just do it.

JosEPh

Provided that you don't go to silly extremes (5-7 or more), you should be perfectly fine. After the Ancient Era, the sky's your limit.

Do not know if you have it or not, but how about an Event, after Tourism, of discovering a cave complex, such as Mammoth Caves in the US, or other caves that attract spelunkers? Increase in commerce and tourism.

Do not know if you have it or not, but how about an Event, after Tourism, of discovering a cave complex, such as Mammoth Caves in the US, or other caves that attract spelunkers? Increase in commerce and tourism.

An event to discover a cave feature and some new buildings to represent those commercial applications of having a cave in your city radius would cover that.

Top Bottom