Caveman 2 Cosmos

Been playing v16 today and found something odd - I conquered a European city (I am playing as an African civ) and built European culture in the city I took - it didn't give me the free European culture "building" in my other cities, unlike the other cultures. So only that one city that I conquered has European culture.

Been playing v16 today and found something odd - I conquered a European city (I am playing as an African civ) and built European culture in the city I took - it didn't give me the free European culture "building" in my other cities, unlike the other cultures. So only that one city that I conquered has European culture.

No wonder my Romans could not get any culture buildings. Apparently when I converted them back from resources to goods I forgot to put back the European culture to give its free buildings. The rest seem to work though. Sorry about that everyone. :blush:

@Koshling, I have been trying out the new spawning for animals. I seem to be getting too many atm, but still testing. One thing which is not quite right. Units should not spawn in plots seen by any player. In the attached image the bison should not have appeared on the bison resource because I could see the plot both from my city and by my tracker.

Note: bison looks like knight in the screen shot because I have graphics on lowest.

@Koshling, I have been trying out the new spawning for animals. I seem to be getting too many atm, but still testing. One thing which is not quite right. Units should not spawn in plots seen by any player. In the attached image the bison should not have appeared on the bison resource because I could see the plot both from my city and by my tracker.

Note: bison looks like knight in the screen shot because I have graphics on lowest.

As I mentioned in the original thread I made a deliberate decision that ONLY a unit on top of a resource would stop spawning, else it would be too easy to halt the Neanderthals by just observing a fwe plots. However, if we want animals to behave differently (and like they used to) I can easily add another tag the the spawn def (bNoSpawnIfVisible say), which I will do soon.

As to the rate, I guess we need to figure out exactly what you are seeing (so game speed is an important factor since it normalizes for it, meaning faster game speeds will have faster (per turn) spawns). Again this is something we could turn off with a new tag if we wanted to.

please everybody who plays version 16 just scroll at the end of the tech tree you will see there is a lot missing. the transhuman and the galactic era it has nothing to do with the "no future Tech " option because this is disabelt. or am i the only person who get this bug ?

No wonder my Romans could not get any culture buildings. Apparently when I converted them back from resources to goods I forgot to put back the European culture to give its free buildings. The rest seem to work though. Sorry about that everyone. :blush:

Worse things have happened at sea as the saying goes! I'll just use worldbuilder to add the European culture building to cities where I particularly need it ;)

Another thing, it's not a biggie - the hunter class units have an issue with the unit naming system, I assume this is because there's not a Hunter unit class in the unit naming BUG page - this causes a little eventhandler error message at the top of the screen when I build a hunter unit and it won't get a unique name, it will just be "Tracker" rather than "Tracker 1 (Carthage)" for example. But it doesn't stop gameplay or anything :)

Worse things have happened at sea as the saying goes! I'll just use worldbuilder to add the European culture building to cities where I particularly need it ;)

Another thing, it's not a biggie - the hunter class units have an issue with the unit naming system, I assume this is because there's not a Hunter unit class in the unit naming BUG page - this causes a little eventhandler error message at the top of the screen when I build a hunter unit and it won't get a unique name, it will just be "Tracker" rather than "Tracker 1 (Carthage)" for example. But it doesn't stop gameplay or anything :)

So that is what the error people have been reporting was. I never use the naming my self so did not notice. I will try and track it down.

As I mentioned in the original thread I made a deliberate decision that ONLY a unit on top of a resource would stop spawning, else it would be too easy to halt the Neanderthals by just observing a fwe plots. However, if we want animals to behave differently (and like they used to) I can easily add another tag the the spawn def (bNoSpawnIfVisible say), which I will do soon.

As to the rate, I guess we need to figure out exactly what you are seeing (so game speed is an important factor since it normalizes for it, meaning faster game speeds will have faster (per turn) spawns). Again this is something we could turn off with a new tag if we wanted to.

The problem is that barbarians only spawning in the fog of war is a default BtS feature. One hint is about how to stop barbarians spawning by removing the fog. Neanderthals should not go against this IMO. I must have missed that in the original discussion.

I went to great pains to ensure it was so when I did the spawns in Python.:mischief:

The problem is that barbarians only spawning in the fog of war is a default BtS feature. One hint is about how to stop barbarians spawning by removing the fog. Neanderthals should not go against this IMO. I must have missed that in the original discussion.

I went to great pains to ensure it was so when I did the spawns in Python.:mischief:

I'll add the tag to allow the XML to decide, but personally I really think that (for Neanderthals anyway) we should allow spawning in sight. Otherwise, once people realise its only a few bonus types that spawn them they can, at very low risk, just keep them in sight. It also seems unrealistic to me. However, I can see the argument both ways, so I'll just give the XML enough flexibility to handle whatever the outcome of the debate is.

I'll add the tag to allow the XML to decide, but personally I really think that (for Neanderthals anyway) we should allow spawning in sight. Otherwise, once people realise its only a few bonus types that spawn them they can, at very low risk, just keep them in sight. It also seems unrealistic to me. However, I can see the argument both ways, so I'll just give the XML enough flexibility to handle whatever the outcome of the debate is.

Thanks. I have done some more of the animals with interesting results. Will it work if I have two spawn specs for the same animal and time frame just differing bonuses? Also it would be nice to have the ability to restrict by a band of latitude like the buildings. Polar bears don't belong in the tropics.:)

If I spawn from a resource eg fish for a unit (crocs) that are coastal do they spawn on ocean fish plots?

My first try was just cattle (Bison and cow). I was attached by 20-30 of each but only a very small number of other critters. Spawning bears on bison balanced it out a bit. (Grizzly Bears traditionally hunt and eat bison and deer.)

@Koshling perhaps I need to show you what I am trying to do with the spawn stuff. Attached is just the spawn stuff.

two things I have noticed:-

1. Spawning starts before turn 10. The first 10 turns are a grace period I thought while your settler wandered round looking for a good spot. I saw a deer spawn in turn 2-3 and take out a civ by killing their unguarded settler.

2. I sometimes get multiple units spawning on the same plot.

I am about half way through converting the animals over.

So that is what the error people have been reporting was. I never use the naming my self so did not notice. I will try and track it down.

Ahh I find the automatic unit naming really handy myself, especially playing hotseat MP where I might have to wait a while to take my next turn - it's easier to remember that I was doing something particular with "Tracker 4 (Athens)" (such as hunting down an elephant that I spotted just to the north of his position) after 20 minutes away from the screen while other players have their goes, especially as playing hotseat not every player gets to see AI moves or attacks against them at the ends of turns etc. so it's a little more tricky to keep track of what each unit is doing!

But yes it's definitely that causing the error message, the automatic unit naming utility doesn't recognise Hunter class units so throws up an error message and doesn't name/number them.

And while I'm on the subject of hunter class units: this is going to make me sound either a) decrepit or b) completely doolally, but is it possible to make them show the magic blue circle around goody huts the same as recon units? I'm getting on a bit and my eyesight is not what it used to be, and I have real difficulty seeing goody huts especially when they are in forests - I've been relying on the magic blue circle for a while now, and hunter class units don't show it, so I'm now failing to see the little blighters and missing out on freebies!

And while I'm on the subject of hunter class units: this is going to make me sound either a) decrepit or b) completely doolally, but is it possible to make them show the magic blue circle around goody huts the same as recon units? I'm getting on a bit and my eyesight is not what it used to be, and I have real difficulty seeing goody huts especially when they are in forests - I've been relying on the magic blue circle for a while now, and hunter class units don't show it, so I'm now failing to see the little blighters and missing out on freebies!

It doesn't show for them because they can get bad results. At least I think that is why. I now use scouts more, just to explore and get the goodies, while I keep my hunters close to home harvesting animals.

It doesn't show for them because they can get bad results. At least I think that is why. I now use scouts more, just to explore and get the goodies, while I keep my hunters close to home harvesting animals.

I have never had a hunter get bad results though, and I'd rather my hunter units got them in case they get experience (especially now that the bonuses from buildings in the cities have been split between recon and hunter class units, I don't want to waste any potential experience bonus on a unit that can only defend when my primary concern is hunting!)

I have never had a hunter get bad results though, and I'd rather my hunter units got them in case they get experience (especially now that the bonuses from buildings in the cities have been split between recon and hunter class units, I don't want to waste any potential experience bonus on a unit that can only defend when my primary concern is hunting!)

It is new in v16. I seem to get mostly bad results with hunter units.

It is new in v16. I seem to get mostly bad results with hunter units.

Really? I've not noticed any bad results with hunter units playing v16 so far. :confused: For me a bad result would be "the natives are hostile", not 50gp instead of 200gp.

Regardless, is it possible to make the bloomin' things more visible, because my eyes aren't getting any younger! This has only been an issue from v15 (or maybe v14, I can't recall exactly) onwards, earlier versions used some sort of animated forests that sort of parted around goody huts, resources, and improvements, but I can barely see any of these things in the last couple of versions, I find I'm squinting at the screen in the last couple of versions to see all these features, and I'd rather have a hunter show where a goody hut is even if the result might be bad (because if I can't see it, I could pop it by accident, and surely if the result is going to be bad I'd want to avoid that? As it is I can't see them at all)

Wait.. Will it prevent spawning if I place a unit on N-man-spawning resources?
I saw (at least 2-3 time) my units on the resources automatically moved to adjacent tile when N-man spawned from it.

The problem with goody hut graphic is that high-latitude forests (dark green one) hide it unlike low-latitude forests.

Wait.. Will it prevent spawning if I place a unit on N-man-spawning resources?
I saw (at least 2-3 time) my units on the resources automatically moved to adjacent tile when N-man spawned from it.

The problem with goody hut graphic is that high-latitude forests (dark green one) hide it unlike low-latitude forests.

Yeah it's the thick dark green forests that are causing a problem for me - I can't see goody huts, resources, improvements, or routes on squares with those forests on them. It has only been a recent problem with C2C, in v14 everything was more visible on forest squares. I steadfastly refuse to give up gaming just because I'm getting old and my eyesight isn't what it used to be! But it has been a major problem for me in the last couple of versions. :(

Really? I've not noticed any bad results with hunter units playing v16 so far. :confused: For me a bad result would be "the natives are hostile", not 50gp instead of 200gp.

Regardless, is it possible to make the bloomin' things more visible, because my eyes aren't getting any younger! This has only been an issue from v15 (or maybe v14, I can't recall exactly) onwards, earlier versions used some sort of animated forests that sort of parted around goody huts, resources, and improvements, but I can barely see any of these things in the last couple of versions, I find I'm squinting at the screen in the last couple of versions to see all these features, and I'd rather have a hunter show where a goody hut is even if the result might be bad (because if I can't see it, I could pop it by accident, and surely if the result is going to be bad I'd want to avoid that? As it is I can't see them at all)

I can't do it. However the latest test graphics seem better. I can see the resources, huts and animals in them now.

Yeah it's the thick dark green forests that are causing a problem for me - I can't see goody huts, resources, improvements, or routes on squares with those forests on them. It has only been a recent problem with C2C, in v14 everything was more visible on forest squares. I steadfastly refuse to give up gaming just because I'm getting old and my eyesight isn't what it used to be! But it has been a major problem for me in the last couple of versions. :(

To paraphrase "The Goons" - My eyes aren't what they used to be.....They used to be my ears. Which gives an indication as to how old I am. ;)

Top Bottom