Caveman 2 Cosmos

Choose some different settings in your graphic options which is set in the main game options panel (think ORIGINAL civ IV options) which I think can even be set outside the game but either way any resolution changes there will require a restart of the game to take effect. Some size settings work better on some monitors than others and don't assume larger is better - it can miniaturize things tremendously to pick too large a res.

Just make sure to keep your unit animations on or you'll cause some trouble for your reskinned units and start seeing knights where there are pigs and such.

The civ's ini file is in the main BtS folder and whether you play in full screen or window mode is set there and may have something to do with what you're talking about too. Otherwise you can sometimes find that if you're on full screen, the problem with such a thing as you explain COULD be the screen settings you have on your physical screen itself - zooming in just a little too far perhaps.
Good Thoughts. Thank you fro your kindness.

This is not my first game of C2C but I decided to kick the tires again. The loading bar stops about midway and then shoots out a pack of XML errors and crashes to desktop

I downloaded version 41.2 several times from:
https://www.moddb.com/mods/caveman2cosmos/downloads/caveman2cosmos-v412

No corruptions, no nested C2C files and if I move a new unpacked C2C nothing is different than what is in the mod file.
I run patch 3.19, like I said I've installed C2C several times over the years and had no issues Win 7 64bit
A screenshot is meaningless here as the errors are nested but here is the verbose version of the crash.

Roughly midway through loading the 41.2 version of C2C I get this pair of XML Errors (may have a few typos but they mostly parse the same)

Something that's too long to read from the loading bar info bat XML Uncalled..... I guess.

XML parsing SAX error
Assets\xml\text\dancinghoskuld\extradiplomnacy_civ4gametext_units.xml:
no declaration found for element 'Portuguese' at line 42

LoadXML call failed for:
xml\text\dancinghoskuld\extradiplomacy_civ4gametext_units.xml
Current XML file is
xml\text\thunderbird\traits_tb_civ4gametext.xml

>Continues to load for a few moments after pressing OK and then all these XML Error boxes jump out

Tag: C2C_ERA_INDUSTRIAL in Info class was incorrect
Current XML file is:
modules\Alt_Timelines\Steampunk\steampunk_CIV4TechInfos.xml

Tag: C2C_ERA_ATOMIC in Info class was incorrect
Current XML file is:
modules\Alt_Timelines\Diselpunk\Dieslpunk_CIVTechInfos.xml

Tag: C2C_ERA_NANOTECH in Info class was incorrect
Current XML file is:
modules\Alt_Timelines\Biopunk_CIV4TechInfos.xml

Tag: C2C_ERA_TRANSHUMAN in Info class was incorrect
Current XML file is:
modules\Alt_Timeslines\Cyberpunk_CIV4TechInfos.xml

>Load continues for a split second

Tag: RELIGON_ANDANISM in Info class was incorrect:
Current XML file is:
modules\Custom_Religions\Andean\Andean_CIV4UnitCombatInfos.xml

Then game crashes to desktop after pressing OK

I have not heard of this happening to anyone else, I un7ed the files to desktop then renamed the folder Caveman2Cosmos v41_2 and moved it to the \mods tree of my CIV4 install. I can see the mod in Civ4's mod list

Did I miss anything?

Cheers!
-Liq

@Liquidated

NEVER overwrite old version of mod with new one!
Delete mod and install it again

You also may need newest version of 7zip or winrar.

By the way it can't be in My Documents, and must be named Caveman2Cosmos

Last edited:
That worked which is odd, I guess my first download was corrupted so I smthing smthing smthing
My Avatar is no joke, as a disabled war vet I'm on so many meds it's fun times.

Thanks for the super fast reply.

I use pea zip and it has never given me issues.

Last edited:
Guys I found hilarious bug:

On Long speed (4000 turns) Phenomenal and Monumental culture level requirements were 10x lower than should be :D
Fix is on the way to SVN.

Bug was there since game speeds were changed.

Question. I have read the player guide, and many, many of the posts, threads, etc. here. Much to learn. So, first question: When promoting a military unit, you have to options of /city defender/ woodsman/hill/ and the message, in RED, which says: " If the unit with the promotion cannot gain defensive ... they will not gain an INapplicable promotion benefit. "" << --- what does that mean? If a military unit with a city defender promotion is attacked while on a hill outside a city -- of course, the city defense benefit does not apply. Is that all the red caution means? The red caution seems mean something different? Key--> "Inapplicable" instead "applicable." Confused, I am.

Burial tradition (bone) states that building this will increase your building speed in all your cities, when building "Capuchin Crypts." Can;t fin this-in any of the documentation. Not implemented yet?
EDIT found it in the tech tree.

Last edited:
Burial tradition (bone) states that building this will increase your building speed in all your cities, when building "Capuchin Crypts." Can;t fin this-in any of the documentation. Not implemented yet?
Strategy and pedia texts are often outdated.

Strategy texts were removed in SVN - only civics and TB traits have them.

Cool, Thanks raxo2222, I wasn't aware strategy texts were removed from game interface. I also looked on line -- here --in the documents. Since, even when building this 'burial tradition (bone)' the actual 'capuchin crypts' never appear as an option. What are these 'capuchin crypts?' How do I get them? :) :)

Cool, Thanks raxo2222, I wasn't aware strategy texts were removed from game interface. I also looked on line -- here --in the documents. Since, even when building this 'burial tradition (bone)' the actual 'capuchin crypts' never appear as an option. What are these 'capuchin crypts?' How do I get them? :) :)
You can use ingame pedia to search for buildings and stuff
Spoiler :

Civ4BeyondSword 2021-05-24 13-07-43-53.png

Question. I have read the player guide, and many, many of the posts, threads, etc. here. Much to learn. So, first question: When promoting a military unit, you have to options of /city defender/ woodsman/hill/ and the message, in RED, which says: " If the unit with the promotion cannot gain defensive ... they will not gain an INapplicable promotion benefit. "" << --- what does that mean? If a military unit with a city defender promotion is attacked while on a hill outside a city -- of course, the city defense benefit does not apply. Is that all the red caution means? The red caution seems mean something different? Key--> "Inapplicable" instead "applicable." Confused, I am.
Are you talking about a message on a particular promotion?

Is there a guide with new combat C2C features explanations?
Those that are available as an option

Are some buildings locked until a city has X population? It sure seems like it. If so, why is this not written anywhere?

Edit: Does the Ensnare promotion for Hunters only work on Animals? I have yet to capture any neanderthals or humans with a hunter, even while they have three ranks in the Ensnare promotion, and Worldview Slavery active.

Last edited:
Are some buildings locked until a city has X population? It sure seems like it. If so, why is this not written anywhere?
A lot of buildings have a population number lock, they recently decreased some of them in the SVN.

Ok, thanks for replying you guys. How can I know which buildings have what population requirement?

Not playing on the SVN, by the way.

Ok, thanks for replying you guys. How can I know which buildings have what population requirement?

Not playing on the SVN, by the way.
In pedia, you can also toggle display of unbuildable buildings to be shown - in city screen or BUG options, and then it should show requirements.

Top Bottom