Caveman2Cosmos

Thy got teleported away because enemy culture expanded on that tile.
Pretty sure it would happen in vanilla too.

Okay... running into a very weird error (or possibly feature) I've never encountered before.
For some reason, my large stacks of troops will inexplicably move back one space from where I had them fortifying along the Korean border. This movement happens when it's not my turn, and *nearly* every time I end a turn. Note that the border itself remains completely unchanged. There's no message in the log about myself or the Koreans having an influence change. Unless there's some sort of weird math occurring when it's not my turn where the border somehow expands and contracts during the NPC turn with no visual change on my end.

This seems to mainly happen to large (or possibly the largest) stacks of units. Not sure if that's a trigger or what. Also, I was getting the one-space bounce-back for the stack of troops on the right, until I had an assassin destroy a fort where the green x used to be. Now those guys remain where I set them.

So maybe it is a really weird cultural imbalance, but I've been spamming culture buildings in the city closest to the border, and still turn after turn, at least one of my stacks set up next to the border decides to go AWOL from their post during the off-turn. So I'm assuming it's a bug, unless there's some new wonder I haven't encountered before that automatically bounces troops away from your border like a force field?
View attachment 653129

These guys are next on my invasion list after I reposition troops, so we'll see what happens once I actually declare war on them.
Those units are on a tile that the competing Cultures are almost identical in value. This move back is caused by the Culture values being reset each end of turn. It is a common occurrence as Blazenclaw continues to refine Culture and the hidden Culture "war" over tile possession. I think he is near a completed solution. We have been discussing and debating this for several weeks now. Mountain tiles and hills with forest or Jungles are very volatile to Culture change and ownership atm. Hover you mouse ponter over those tiles and see what the Culture values are for each Empire. The Fort onnthe desert tile is a more stable Culture environ than that Mountain. Just keep moving them back and keep building up your Culture from that size 16 City of yours. And if also do the same if there is another 1 of your cities in the bottom right of this screenshot.

Thanks. Odd that it would continuously flip-flop back and forth like that every turn, but I did hover over the tile and it has my civilization at 51% ownership, so I guess that's the answer. Korea must be ramping up their culture at the exact same rate I am, even though I'm about twice as powerful.

Now that I think of it, a really awesome mod (that would probably be a massive pain in the neck to implement) would be to take every tile that's within 2% of changing ownership one way or the other and turn it into grey "disputed territory" tile that is similar to Barbarian space where neither side can build improvements (besides roads) or take resources from, it has a higher probability of spawning criminal/barbarian units since it's so hard to police, and both sides can occupy it with troops without declaring war, but placing any units there causes you to lose an additional point of reputation with the opposing country.

That would lead to some very interesting border politics.

Thanks. Odd that it would continuously flip-flop back and forth like that every turn, but I did hover over the tile and it has my civilization at 51% ownership, so I guess that's the answer. Korea must be ramping up their culture at the exact same rate I am, even though I'm about twice as powerful.

Now that I think of it, a really awesome mod (that would probably be a massive pain in the neck to implement) would be to take every tile that's within 2% of changing ownership one way or the other and turn it into grey "disputed territory" tile that is similar to Barbarian space where neither side can build improvements (besides roads) or take resources from, it has a higher probability of spawning criminal/barbarian units since it's so hard to police, and both sides can occupy it with troops without declaring war, but placing any units there causes you to lose an additional point of reputation with the opposing country.

That would lead to some very interesting border politics.
:lol: Don't give them any Ideas! :mischief:

Any chance CavemanToCosmos has been updated to include multiplayer? My buddy and I are looking for a new mod that supports Multiplayer. I think we've tried this mod in the past, but we always ran into syncing issues.

Any chance CavemanToCosmos has been updated to include multiplayer? My buddy and I are looking for a new mod that supports Multiplayer. I think we've tried this mod in the past, but we always ran into syncing issues.
Yes there is multiplayer. My son and friend play using it often.

Turn off events and revolutions

Updated to the v43 and city management pop up is anoying as hell, any chance to restore it to old version at the end of the turn?

There's definitely something weird going on with AI civs maintaining territory after conquest.
In my current game, I've practically nuked Korea back to the stone age, and taken over 8 of their 9 cities except for one piddling 3x3 city on an entirely different continent, that's 1% Korean and 99% Polynesian, and completely surrounded by Polynesian territory (who hate my guts and won't grant me an open borders agreement to finish Korea off.) Yet somehow, Korea still maintain territorial control over about 1/3 of the continent my empire "liberated" from them, aside from the 3x3 squares of the base city boundaries themselves.
I've been pouring money into entertainers and cultural/happiness buildings, in attempts to take possession of the surrounding lands, and most of them are now happy or at least no longer in anarchy and revolting, but nothing seems to shift their territorial control of the surrounding regions.

1678325390585.png

1678325505984.png

I also ran into a really weird glitch last night where I'd left the game running in the background for several days while I worked on other stuff, and the window the game was running in (not the monitor) was going crazy and flickering neon pink with the top and bottom menu bars flickering on and off. Oddest thing I've seen in a while. I haven't seen that sort of graphics glitch since the days of CRT monitors. I saved the game, then shut it down and restarted, and it came back up perfectly normal. If it happens again, I'll try to take a screenshot before I shut it down, but not quite sure what was causing it.

An interesting Flexible Difficulty option for future builds would be to add an option where it automatically increases the difficulty every time you conquer another civ.

This would slightly better match my play style as I often get bored in late game scenarios where my Civ occupies 3/4 of the planet and I can just steamroll whoever's left through sheer force of numbers, but it would also make for some interesting strategy regarding conquest vs. peace, especially if there was also a toggle option to apply it to AI players as well, though defining what constitutes "conquered" might be a bit tricky.

I'm assuming to be fair it would have to apply towards all civs actively engaged in war with that opponent at the moment of defeat, which would suck for Vassal States if you happen to be vassal to a larger warmongering nation who's decided to conquer some smaller civ you've never seen. And you could play the system by nuking an AI Civ into the ground, but as long as you leave them one useless level 1 city on an island, you can still negotiate for peace and not take the difficulty hit. (or bait an AI into joining you in a war, and then kill off everything but the last enemy city, negotiate for peace, and then let the other AI swoop in and take them out for the difficulty hit so you can turn around and attack them next.)

There's definitely something weird going on with AI civs maintaining territory after conquest.
In my current game, I've practically nuked Korea back to the stone age, and taken over 8 of their 9 cities except for one piddling 3x3 city on an entirely different continent, that's 1% Korean and 99% Polynesian, and completely surrounded by Polynesian territory (who hate my guts and won't grant me an open borders agreement to finish Korea off.) Yet somehow, Korea still maintain territorial control over about 1/3 of the continent my empire "liberated" from them, aside from the 3x3 squares of the base city boundaries themselves.
I've been pouring money into entertainers and cultural/happiness buildings, in attempts to take possession of the surrounding lands, and most of them are now happy or at least no longer in anarchy and revolting, but nothing seems to shift their territorial control of the surrounding regions.

View attachment 656239
View attachment 656240
I also ran into a really weird glitch last night where I'd left the game running in the background for several days while I worked on other stuff, and the window the game was running in (not the monitor) was going crazy and flickering neon pink with the top and bottom menu bars flickering on and off. Oddest thing I've seen in a while. I haven't seen that sort of graphics glitch since the days of CRT monitors. I saved the game, then shut it down and restarted, and it came back up perfectly normal. If it happens again, I'll try to take a screenshot before I shut it down, but not quite sure what was causing it.
I just took a moment to pay attention to the names you gave your cities. :lol:

I just took a moment to pay attention to the names you gave your cities. :lol:
I'm afraid I've been playing Civ since I was about 15 and that's apparently where my sense of humor flat-lined.
20 years later and I still play every campaign as Emperor Dong of the Dongopolitans.

I'm afraid I've been playing Civ since I was about 15 and that's apparently where my sense of humor flat-lined.
20 years later and I still play every campaign as Emperor Dong of the Dongopolitans.
Covfefe to you as well sir.

Top Bottom