CD not found error - (Read this for problems with CD drive after patching)

I posted this in another FIX-IT thread, but this thread seems more appropriate...

Win2k, admin rights, Civ III Vanilla patched to 1.29f, DVD drive with CD. I get the "CD cannot be found blah blah blah" error from SafeDisc. Before the patch I had the black video problem, so I installed the patch... now the SafeDisc issue is causing me troubles.

Solution yet?

I jave the safe problem supposedly a there is a safe disc patch to fix the problem. However, I can't locate it anywhere.

Well maybe for some problems maybe someone said this but if u have an old computer and uve ran alot of Cds or just alot of Cds maybe your drive gave out?

I bought Civ 3 Gold today, installed and patched it, and got this problem. I reinstalled it and didn't patch it, and the same thing happened, just a slightly different menu. Should I contact Atari and hope they reply back?
EDIT: I read up on the secdrv file, and I checked, and I don't have a secdrv.sys file on either disks.

Hello Im having the "Cd Not in driver problem" When it actually is...I downloaded the Latest patch..1.29 From CivIII web page The patch installs prefectly but when I try to run the game CD not in driver Anybody came up with a solution please let me know
Thanks.

I have the feeling this won't work for everyone or it would have been posted a long time ago, BUT....

I used to get that "No CD" message on my old computer. I'd just open the drive door and close it again. That would get the computer's attention that the disk really was there, and then I could play. I've never heard anyone mention trying this before, so let me know if it helps anyone else. :)

I just called up take2support. They said that the problem occurs with a bunch of copies of Civ 3 from Best Buy. So, they suggested that I go to Best Buy, exchange it for another copy of Civ 3, and have them install/run the game to ensure that it works. The CD protection algorithm is apparently more stringent on a bunch of copies of Civ 3 from Best Buy.

I'll give it a try and let you know how it goes.

I have bought Civ3 some Time ago and now I got Conquests via a Game Magazine. Civ3 already came with 1.29f Patch, PTW was on 1.27, but Conquests was unpatched. So I downloaded the 1.22 patch for Conquests and installed it. Now the "Cd Not in driver problem" occurs, even if i´m placing my original CIV3 Disk into the Drive. If I put the Game Magazines Cd into the Drive, it doesn´t recognize it as the correct CD...any suggestions ?

I would really like to get my Hands on that Conquests Editor and release some Maps...but not unpatched...;)

Dittos on the problem. D/L the 1.29f patch to the plain vanilla CIVIII and suddenly I got the CD not found please install and retry error message.

I suspect my Firaxsis disk already had the update and I didn't need to re-install it - problem is, I want to d/l some new units and to do so you need to have what the patch contains.

recommend checking if you need the patch in the first place - that may be the cause of the error message (installing the patch when you don't need it)

I got different problem dude

I downloaded and installed the 1.27f patch.
But, when i tried it, i got no menu.
Just a background and small letter in the bottom that said

You look so lovely when you lose
We crushed you, saw you driven before us, and hear the lamentation of your people!
Consider your lawn MOWED!
All you're leading is Jack and spit. Jack just left town.

Help me please

I have C3C and had the same problem and here's what I found works. 1. Uninstall the patch (this can be done by installing it again, it will ask you to uninstall itself) 2. Uninstall the game and all expansion packs. 3. Install the game and expansions. That's what worked for me... no "no cd" hacks or anything.

I contacted Atari as suggested in the thread and received this answer on 11/3/2008 to my question re above:

Hello William,

Thank you for contacting Atari Support. Regrettably this is one of our older titles that we no longer provide technical support for. This is due to Atari, Inc. no longer owning the License for this franchise. We are truly sorry for any inconvenience this might be causing you to enjoy your game.

Thank You
Atari Support

Try contacting 2K. They might be willing to help, since they now own the franchise.

I just took a look at their support section and although they list several permutations of Civ they do not list Civ III. There is a drop down menu that forces you to "select a game" and Civ III is not listed in the drop down although Civ IV is as are other Civ permutations.

Are you saying 2k owns all of the Civ games or am I missing something here.

Tks very much for the reply.

Hi PsychO_Qc,

I had the same problem in the past. But now, I have "VIRTUAL CD Drive software" to play the game. So, I need not to put the physical CD-R in the CD Drive.
I always put the virtual image of the CD-R in my CD Drive. This is so useful to everyone who likes to play the computer games. This gives long life to your CD Drive and much better access to your game.

:)

... is there a difference between the american and canadian versions of civ 3 because I ordered conquest from som scholastic promotion so may be I need to download the UK patch...

(sorry for reviving)

Looks like A LOT of people have this problem

I am having the same problem!

I installed the original civ then put play the world and conquests years later and it tells me to insert the disk and it is definetly in!

So I have to uninstall the whole game to play? Even so it usualy becomes a pain with the install shield but that's aside the point. Why haven't they fixed this? So man others have the same problem.

Top Bottom