CD not found error - (Read this for problems with CD drive after patching)

Good thought, I believe that worked for me at home as well. But now I'm away and only one drive with the laptop. Maybe that's why the techies ask you to first copy to hard drive then install, thinking that in that case your CD drive is a different drive than where you installed from and it might therefore work in the same way. Unfortunately it doesn't.

Ok, quick question on this.

I recently downloaded the v1.22 patch for Conquests, since I wanted to upgrade from version 1.00 that I have (and it is definitely stand alone Conquests, not part of any package like Complete). I was waiting until my current game plays out until I install it, but now I've seen this thread and am wary.

Is it a given that if I install this patch I will get the CD not found error, or is this something that I don't have to worry about since I run off the CD all the time anyway? Because if this is going to foul things up I would rather not install the patch and just live with unpatched, even though there are some cool things that I have found here that I wanted to use (CivAssist II looks neat but won't work on unpatched Conquests games).

Thanks in advance.

I don't think anyone has ever been able to definitively identify any particular combination of hardware/software that gives this bad result. The vast majority of players upgraded to v1.22 with no problems. Obviously, for some, their game was virtually broken and unplayable.

Personally, I think the odds are in your favor, but do it with your eyes wide open, and be prepared to uninstall the patch, and maybe even reinstall Conquests (or even all of Civ3) if it all goes south.

As far as I know this is mainly a problem for those who purchased Civ III vanilla and patched up to 1.29f. I don't think anyone reports the same problem with conquests (but I could be wrong), so I wouldn't hesitate to patch it. Even if it screws it up, you can just reinstall the game and it will work again.

As far as I know, it's happened with Conquests as well. (Edit: There's at least one.)/edit

Also, the newer releases of Civ3 should come patched to 1.29f, and patching it might cause the CD not found error.

Turner said:
I'm wondering if he installed the patch. That would cause the error.

No I have not patched anything. This is a brand new disc right out of the box. I checked the registry and found the version listed as 1.29f already so a patch wouldn't be an update anyway.

The only thing that worked was running the game in safe mode but then I have no sound because the sound drivers don't load and I think having to run a game in 'safe mode' is ridiculous anyway.

What app or process could possibly be causing it to not find the CD? Could it be Roxio's drag-to-disc or something else?

akd835 said:
The only thing that worked was running the game in safe mode but then I have no sound because the sound drivers don't load and I think having to run a game in 'safe mode' is ridiculous anyway.

QUOTE]

I take it all back....now it won't even run in safe mode...I think it was a fluke freak chance that it worked. It just keeps indicating it can't find the original CD or authenticate it...For the record I don't have ANY emulation software, just WinXP Pro with all the latest drivers and firmware, a plextor 716a dvd drive....I have no trouble with ANY other games and the CD isn't scratched or damaged in any way.

I'm just frustrated and wish atari or whoever would help their legitimate customers.

I haven't read through this thing all the way, I'll do it later, and I haven't tried anything yet. I have a different problem.

I downloaded the game off of www.gamershell.com and paid for it. The game was crashing on me so I thought I'd download the newest patch. Downloaded the patch, restarted the computer and tried to start the game. It asked for a Cd. I don't have a cd!

I don't think that I can reinstall the game, and I'd rather not mess around and totally screw the game up. Any ideas?

Try uninstalling the patch. These download places have to change the way the executable works, because it requires the CD. Patching always changes the executable to update the copy protection and causes the game to think it needs the CD.

If that doesn't work, contact gamershell and see what they say.

My son bought the $10 Civ 3 game from Walmart. When we loaded it and when he tried to play he got the "original disc could not be found or authenticated". I am not a computer whiz, but I am a problem solver. From reading this form I came up with this. All my old computers are made from parts people give me and they all have more than one hard drive. I copied the CD on to one of the drives and loaded the game from there to a second drive. The game works now, this worked on 3 different computers. So I guess the game needs to be loaded from a drive that is not the CD drive that it is to check for the game CD in, or from the drive that the game is on. I think a flash drive or an external drive would work too.

Another note: when I went to uninstall the non-working game the 1.29 patch was a separate uninstall even though it came already on the CD.

$10 game 4 hours labor to make it work!!:crazyeye:

constaintly getting errors like "cannot find art\units\some unit\..\swordsman\swordsman fortify.wav" when playing mods I download
:badcomp: :badcomp: :badcomp: :badcomp:
and I downloaded the 1.22 update, installed it, and it says i need the CD, even when it's alreadyin there! (normally It doesn't require the cd when playing conquests)
:badcomp: :badcomp: :badcomp:
and another thing (it's a lot, I know, but these might all have something to do with one another) during the setups for conquests and ptw [ever since I got the game] it come up with a question about over writing a read-only file.
:dunno: :dunno: :dunno: :please: :please: :please: :help: :help:

Hey all, I'm new here. Question for anyone who can help. I had recently bought Civilization 3: Complete and was very much enjoying it for a few weeks on my Laptop, with on CD-rom in it until my CD-rom drive had to be replaced. The door stopped opening. I replaced it and everything seemed to be working fine until I tried to play this game. I got the error message "Original disc could not be found or Authenticated." I know this has come up a few times but it didn't really get any answers. Could anyone help me out?
Thanks

I am new to this forum and I was hoping I could find the answer to the questions on how to resolve the "no CD in drive" problem. I have read every post to this tread and I am a bit frustrated (as are many others by what I have seen). I believe that if Atari will not come through for their customers, then it may be time to start up a class action suit against Atari. Software companies need to know that it is NOT ok to take advantage of paying customers. This is exactly why good honest people turn to piracy.

Thanks for the tip......but it won'T work in my case.

Here's my situation :
Just bought the Civ3 game. After playing a couple of weeks, I d/l the 1.29f patch, directly from the infoframes.com web site.

PAtch installed perfectly....but now, the game asks me to insert the CD-ROM in the drive. Problem is, IT IS in the drive. Can't get the game to work properly with the damn 1.29f patch.

I own the US version of the game and d/l the US patch.

Does anyone have a hint of HOW can I resolve this problem???

Cheers all

to make it work again just uninstall the game and install it again it worked for me

So, are you suggesting we start a "damn you, Atari! :mad:" thread somewhere? I have tried several times to get the damn 1.22 C3C patch to work, to no avail. Now it seems my constant un- and re-installations have $%^&^% up the registry and I can't play vanilla if C3C is installed.

i guess alot of people get this, i tried to instal 1.29f and ruined it about 5 times so im stuck with 1.00 now and really wanted to add new units o well.

I think Atari did this on purpose because they like seeing people suffer. Yeah, that's right, I'm on to you, Atari!! :mad:

I got a new computer and am having the same can't find the cd problem. It's running Vista with a DVD/CD combined drive. For what's it's worth, I had no problems after installing the 1.29 Conquest patch on my old computer (except that it randomly crashed). My best guess as to my old success is that it had something to do with the fact that I had stripped off my anti-virus when I was having problems with another older game and thought it might be the firewall. Beyond that I was running '98.

Did you install it in Vista as Administrator? You'll also need to be admin in order to play. I think you can do a 'Run as administrator', but I don't have vista so I'm not sure.

Top Bottom