• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Change Spain to an exploration Civ.

That good be cool, I however think they took the Philip II route as a way to avoid Portugal altogether.
Why do you think that, because he was king of Portugal too?
I'm 90% sure that the civ in March will be Portugal though to wrap up Civ 6. Because we don't have a civ focused around exploration yet.

Spain could have an alternative leader from Islamic age.
If you mean an Al-Andalus or any of the Caliphate leaders that would be an entirely different civ.

Reactions: PiR
Yet, some Castilian but widely-recognized in Iberia king such an Alfonso VIII or Alfonso X might do the trick to shift the focus to the cultural side and a little away from religion (althoug The VIII is more wll-known by his Crusader feats).

Now since Portugal has been release, it quite doesn't have the exploration focus that I originally thought it would have with the only real bonuses towards it is +1 sight for all units. That doesn't mean that they aren't designed well. :)

I could easily see if the possibility of Isabella as an alternate leader now for Spain revolving around exploration, if they wanted to. She would also still be a little religious with the conquistador UU and mission improvement.

Now since Portugal has been release, it quite doesn't have the exploration focus that I originally thought it would have with the only real bonuses towards it is +1 sight for all units. That doesn't mean that they aren't designed well. :)

I could easily see if the possibility of Isabella as an alternate leader now for Spain revolving around exploration, if they wanted to. She would also still be a little religious with the conquistador UU and mission improvement.

Yeah, I wanted Portugal to be a little more "exploration" focused. I mean, Portugal is now my favorite Civ by a long shot (I think it is the best made Civ in the whole game), but we still lack an exloration civ :(
So I think the post still be, somehow, relevant as Spain could change a little in the 2/3 patch to accomodate some exploration bonuses.

It would be insane to have Isabella, but I do not think they will expend the ressources on making a new leader... I will still have hope for a new "Philip II persona" with some exploration bonuses.
I don't think is insane, as it was under Philip II that the Pacific ocean was explored (and the exploration and conquest of the philipines). But we will see soon enought!

It is quite a good idea! but I'm not sure if they could merge both "spains". I mean, you can make an "abderraman III" Leader, but he ruled the Caliphate of Cordoba that is a different civ (actual spanish bonuses would make no sense for abderraman as leader).

Maybe in civ 7 they could add an Iberian muslim Civ (Caliphate of Cordoba would be pretty cool!).

Yeah, I wanted Portugal to be a little more "exploration" focused. I mean, Portugal is now my favorite Civ by a long shot (I think it is the best made Civ in the whole game), but we still lack an exloration civ
what about Maori? Dose it count as exportation civ? since it can enter ocean from get go?

errm nope? Spain was Catholic from moment it was born through marriage of Isabella I and King Ferdinand II.

what about Maori? Dose it count as exportation civ? since it can enter ocean from get go?
I mean you can argue that Portugal, Norway, and Maori all have some sort of small exploration bonuses but not as much to strictly call them an exploration civ. If a civ got bonuses for exploring new continents, natural wonders etc., like Spain in Civ 5, and that's what I am talking about, not necessarily just being able to enter oceans early.

I think the closest might be Portugal, at least AI Portugal has the exploration agenda built in.

I mean you can argue that Portugal, Norway, and Maori all have some sort of small exploration bonuses but not as much to strictly call them an exploration civ. If a civ got bonuses for exploring new continents, natural wonders etc., like Spain in Civ 5, and that's what I am talking about, not necessarily just being able to enter oceans early.

I think the closest might be Portugal, at least AI Portugal has the exploration agenda built in.
I totally agree, for me an "exploration civ" need to have bonuses for discovering or settleling in new continents or territories (therefore forcing them to check new lands).

For example, receiving bonuses per new Natural wonders.

Also, England (Victoria) is a bit focused in exploration too as they have to discover and settle all the continents to gain full advantage of their bonuses (something I really like, to be honest)

I totally agree, for me an "exploration civ" need to have bonuses for discovering or settleling in new continents or territories (therefore forcing them to check new lands).

For example, receiving bonuses per new Natural wonders.

Also, England (Victoria) is a bit focused in exploration too as they have to discover and settle all the continents to gain full advantage of their bonuses (something I really like, to be honest)
Yes, that being said Portugal does get +1 sight for all units, and a free trade route capacity for every civ he meets which is why I would consider them the civ most geared toward exploration, but it wasn't as much as I thought. They put way more emphasis on the trading aspect.

Top Bottom